Randy Johnson's 1990 M's no hitter on ROOT @7:00 tonight

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If I remember right he was effectively wild that night. I think he had 6 or 7 walks that night.
I think the last guy he struck out torn up a bat rack or something after the game.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3dnk8nof said:
If I remember right he was effectively wild that night. I think he had 6 or 7 walks that night.
I think the last guy he struck out torn up a bat rack or something after the game.
I just started watching it. Only have seen the 1st inning so far. I'll let you know if your memory is still not old and forgetful like mine.

Largent80

Reaction score
I was at that game. I used to sit out in CF just to watch Griffey and witnessed history

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":o93ntr3l said:
I was at that game. I used to sit out in CF just to watch Griffey and witnessed history
Only watched the first inning so far, but gotta say Griffey made a running catch on a hard hit ball that seemed headed for the gap look like he was chasing a can of corn fly ball. His instincts were off the charts.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
So some observations:

- As you thought Hernia, 6 walks.
- Yet no one hit the ball hard on him all day save for that sort of line drive in the 1st that Griffey had no problem with.
- As always his fastball was the shit but his off speed slider was what kept them off balance all night.
- The last out, a strikeout (8th for Randy) on a pitch over his head, was made by Mike Heath who apparently threw a bat through the TV in the visitors clubhouse.
- He threw 136 pitches for the game. That ain't happenin' nowadays. He'd have been pulled after the 7th.
- The umpires didn't replace the ball whenever it hit the dirt like they do now.
- Very few replays on the broadcast and very few graphics
- Edgar played 3rd base!
- Alvin Davis was still playing 1st for the Ms
It was great hearing Dave Niehaus again......

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3b2o8sxv said:
So some observations:

- Yet no one hit the ball hard on him all day save for that sort of line drive in the 1st that Griffey had no problem with.
- As always his fastball was the shit but his off speed slider was what kept them off balance all night.
- The last out, a strikeout (8th for Randy) on a pitch over his head, was made by Mike Heath who apparently threw a bat through the TV in the visitors clubhouse.
- He threw 136 pitches for the game. That ain't happenin' nowadays. He'd have been pulled after the 7th.
- The umpires didn't replace the ball whenever it hit the dirt like they do now.
- Edgar played 3rd base!

That right there is reason enough on its own to watch classic Mariners games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3m5a8029 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3m5a8029 said:
So some observations:

- Edgar played 3rd base!

Yep, it’s a shame he never got the chance to call a Mariners World Series game.

bkafflen

Reaction score
Anyone wiling to share a ROOT online login to use to watch the game tonight??? Thanks appreciated!!

Go Mariners, it's do or die! LOL.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Watched the end of the replay for 95 game 5 against the Yanks. Pretty cool, but also kind of sad that’s the franchises best moment. Man that team was awesome.

bkafflen

Reaction score
Anyone willing to share ROOT w/ a fellow Ms fan? We don't have cable anymore but I'd love to watch these classic games. Please PM me if so. Thanks all!

Threedee

Reaction score
My first Mariners game was in 1990, and I am pretty sure Randy was pitching. Definitely wasn't the no-hitter, though.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2s79jyhn said:
JustTheTip":2s79jyhn said:
hawksfansinceday1":2s79jyhn said:
So some observations:

- Edgar played 3rd base!

At least they have continued to honor him by making sure no other Mariners announcer ever will.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1gvdpqof said:
Sports Hernia":1gvdpqof said:
JustTheTip":1gvdpqof said:
hawksfansinceday1":1gvdpqof said:
So some observations:

- Edgar played 3rd base!

At least they have continued to honor him by making sure no other Mariners announcer ever will.
True. I was 8 the Mariners first year, Dave was the friendly grandfatherly voice that was always there.
Him, Pete Gross, And Bob Blackburn are whom I grew up on.
All Seattle legends IMHO.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3mbs4hh5 said:
JustTheTip":3mbs4hh5 said:
Sports Hernia":3mbs4hh5 said:
JustTheTip":3mbs4hh5 said:
True. I was 8 the Mariners first year, Dave was the friendly grandfatherly voice that was always there.
Him, Pete Gross, And Bob Blackburn are whom I grew up on.
All Seattle legends IMHO.

Dave was a hero of mine. He got me through it all, when his HOF broadcasting wasn't being equalled by HOF play.