Baseball back by late May or early June?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/290 ... ly-arizona

All games played in empty stadiums in the Phoenix area, with players sequestered to hotels.
Might shorten games to 7 innings and have expanded rosters. Interesting though a lot of details haven’t been worked out and been agreed upon. They are counting on having quick testing being available by that time, which will likely be the deal breaker either way.

sutz

Reaction score
Would be nice, but yeah, probably won't happen until the testing is in place, including rapid testing for antigens that can spot those who have recovered.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Would be interesting if all games were played in Arizona. What happens if there is an outbreak there though.

I think we get some baseball, even if it is a shortened season. Perhaps they start in June or July and play something like 100 games.

As long as we get football, and I’d really like to get NBA playoffs.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a full season being played. That would take them to Thanksgiving for cryin' out loud. Maybe later.

Treat it like a strike year, I guess. Play as many games as possible, but if they try to throw in tons of double headers it will turn into an injury nightmare. Not worth risk IMO.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Owners are going to have a tough pill to swallow by paying the fully guaranteed salaries, stadium payments and other expenses with no gate or merchandise revenue rolling in.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
2_0_6":2r1s1gvu said:
Owners are going to have a tough pill to swallow by paying the fully guaranteed salaries, stadium payments and other expenses with no gate or merchandise revenue rolling in.
Some money (see TV revenues) is better than no money.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3bbky75g said:
2_0_6":3bbky75g said:

The M's signed a 10 year $450 million dollar tv deal back in 2013. In the grand scheme of things, to you and I $45mil would be forever generational changing but when your 2020 payroll is just shy of $100 million that's a quite of bit in the red.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mariners/payroll/

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
2_0_6":3o4tcjhh said:
Sports Hernia":3o4tcjhh said:
2_0_6":3o4tcjhh said:

The M's signed a 10 year $450 million dollar tv deal back in 2013. In the grand scheme of things, to you and I $45mil would be forever generational changing but when your 2020 payroll is just shy of $100 million that's a quite of bit in the red.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mariners/payroll/
Agreed. Teams are likely to take a financial hit this year.
But like I said some revenue is better than no revenue.

Latest posts