Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB Nation six part series on the Mariners

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
SB Nation six part series on the Mariners
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:56 pm
  • For all you Mariners fans, SB nation started a six part Mariners history as part of their Dorktown series. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

I enjoy a lot of the videos they do, especially when Jon Bois is involved. But I also am facinated with stats and charts.

Last edited by JGreen79 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• I actually stumbled across this as well. They did a pretty good job.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The first video is called the toilet years lol. Pretty much describes the entire history of the franchise.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• That first video was something,I thought I knew the history
    pretty good..No I did not and the third was great as it always
    will be.Randy threw over 250 pitches in that series ..Steel arm :shock:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• To this day dave's call makes this grown ass man cry like a baby i don't know why
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:That first video was something,I thought I knew the history
    pretty good..No I did not and the third was great as it always
    will be.Randy threw over 250 pitches in that series ..Steel arm :shock:

Yep. David Cone basically blew out his arm in game 5, he was a warrior as well.
    There is a video with Cone and Pinella discussing game 5 years later, it’s real good.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• hawkcrazzed wrote:To this day dave's call makes this grown ass man cry like a baby i don't know why

I'm a Yankees fan and his call gives me goosebumps. Truely was one of the best.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:The first video is called the toilet years lol. Pretty much describes the entire history of the franchise.
    C’mon, it’s April 11th and the 2020 Mariners are still undefeated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• I had no idea Griffey met Ichiro back in '95...
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

Some really fascinating stories in there. Mariners fans have been lucky to watch some of the best players of all time play here. Unfortunately all those hall of fame players couldn't bring a championship, but they brought a lot of great memories.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

Some really fascinating stories in there. Mariners fans have been lucky to watch some of the best players of all time play here. Unfortunately all those hall of fame players couldn't bring a championship, but they brought a lot of great memories.

They were a Dave Justice trade away from a World Series appearance in 2001.
    Lou was begging for another quality bat and Dave Justice was there to be had.

Instead the Yankees traded for him and he killed the Mariners in that series.

The Mariners ownership and front office “cheapness” back then is why the Mariners are the only team to never appear in the WS.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• My favourite thing was learning about the Mariners naming contest.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

The Mariners ownership and front office “cheapness” back then is why the Mariners are the only team to never appear in the WS.

I used to dislike Woody Woodward when I was a kid. I still have to say the Slocumb trade is the dumbest in history, and I am annoyed that he let Randy go without making him an offer.

Since then, however, I have seen Bill Bavasi and Jack Z show what true garbage looks like. Also, I think all of our GMs have been hamstrung by the Lincoln-Armstrong duo. With both of them gone, perhaps Dipito will have success.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

I used to dislike Woody Woodward when I was a kid. I still have to say the Slocumb trade is the dumbest in history, and I am annoyed that he let Randy go without making him an offer.

Since “then, however, I have seen Bill Bavasi and Jack Z show what true garbage looks like. Also, I think all of our GMs have been hamstrung by the Lincoln-Armstrong duo. With both of them gone, perhaps Dipito will have success.

The “Linc-strong” monster was a particular frustrating creature watch.
    The damage it did is still felt today. They duo should have been fired numerous times over.
    I’m convinced they had naked pictures of someone and were blackmailing ownership.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:The “Linc-strong” monster was a particular frustrating creature watch.
    The damage it did is still felt today. They duo should have been fired numerous times over.
    I’m convinced they had naked pictures of someone and were blackmailing ownership.

The story goes that Lincoln won important legal battles for Nintendo N.A., so, they rewarded him by basically granting him tenure. Not sure what enabled Armstrong to also stay around. That might have been blackmail.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:The “Linc-strong” monster was a particular frustrating creature watch.

The story goes that Lincoln won important legal battles for Nintendo N.A., so, they rewarded him by basically granting him tenure. Not sure what enabled Armstrong to also stay around. That might have been blackmail.

Could be. He wasn’t a “baseball man” and tried to run a MLB like a normal business.
    Chuck Armstrong was a “baseball man” but a $h!t one.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:The “Linc-strong” monster was a particular frustrating creature watch.

Howard Lincoln successfully defended Nintendo from MCA/Universal when it's lawsuit-happy president, Sid Sheinberg, sued them over Donkey Kong, claiming it infringed on their copyright of King Kong, and demanded Nintendo turn over DK and all of it's profits to MCA. Lincoln was able to prove not only that DK was not infringing on King Kong, but also that MCA had successfully taken Merian C. Cooper's family to court in order to remake King Kong without paying any royalties to them by proving King Kong was in the public domain, and that no one owned the copyright. Not only that, but the judge also found that MCA had illegally licensed King Kong to Tiger Electronics to make a knockoff of DK that DID infringe on Nintendo's copyright, and ordered MCA to turn the Tiger King Kong game and all the profits over to Nintendo, as well as pay all of Nintendo's court fees. Unfortunately, Japanese companies are very loyal. Nothing was going to get them to fire Lincoln after he did that.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Threedee wrote:

Howard Lincoln successfully defended Nintendo from MCA/Universal when it's lawsuit-happy president, Sid Sheinberg, sued them over Donkey Kong, claiming it infringed on their copyright of King Kong, and demanded Nintendo turn over DK and all of it's profits to MCA. Lincoln was able to prove not only that DK was not infringing on King Kong, but also that MCA had successfully taken Merian C. Cooper's family to court in order to remake King Kong without paying any royalties to them by proving King Kong was in the public domain, and that no one owned the copyright. Not only that, but the judge also found that MCA had illegally licensed King Kong to Tiger Electronics to make a knockoff of DK that DID infringe on Nintendo's copyright, and ordered MCA to turn the Tiger King Kong game and all the profits over to Nintendo, as well as pay all of Nintendo's court fees. Unfortunately, Japanese companies are very loyal. Nothing was going to get them to fire Lincoln after he did that.

True. .....and I’m thankful for Nintendo for keeping the Mariners in Seattle. The big mistake was letting an idiot like Lincoln run it. I doubt he knew the difference between a curveball and a fastball the whole time he was running the team.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• For those who aren't into the whole brevity thing, they just posted the 3 hour, 40 minute supercut of the series:

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information