SB Nation six part series on the Mariners

JGreen79

Reaction score
For all you Mariners fans, SB nation started a six part Mariners history as part of their Dorktown series. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

I enjoy a lot of the videos they do, especially when Jon Bois is involved. But I also am facinated with stats and charts.

[youtube]6pkVu6Kw00M[/youtube]
[youtube]-YNVeakBFqw[/youtube]
[youtube]zEGq465jXH0[/youtube]
[youtube]IDSP1xtw5OM[/youtube]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The first video is called the toilet years lol. Pretty much describes the entire history of the franchise.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
That first video was something,I thought I knew the history
pretty good..No I did not and the third was great as it always
will be.Randy threw over 250 pitches in that series ..Steel arm :shock:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3seoriw2 said:
That first video was something,I thought I knew the history
pretty good..No I did not and the third was great as it always
will be.Randy threw over 250 pitches in that series ..Steel arm :shock:
Yep. David Cone basically blew out his arm in game 5, he was a warrior as well.
There is a video with Cone and Pinella discussing game 5 years later, it’s real good.

OP
OP
J

JGreen79

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":35xzsllj said:
To this day dave's call makes this grown ass man cry like a baby i don't know why

I'm a Yankees fan and his call gives me goosebumps. Truely was one of the best.

James in PA

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1wn90ys2 said:
The first video is called the toilet years lol. Pretty much describes the entire history of the franchise.
C’mon, it’s April 11th and the 2020 Mariners are still undefeated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

Some really fascinating stories in there. Mariners fans have been lucky to watch some of the best players of all time play here. Unfortunately all those hall of fame players couldn't bring a championship, but they brought a lot of great memories.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1xkt9vsk said:
Had this series recommended to me by some non-Mariners fans who also thought is was great.

Some really fascinating stories in there. Mariners fans have been lucky to watch some of the best players of all time play here. Unfortunately all those hall of fame players couldn't bring a championship, but they brought a lot of great memories.
They were a Dave Justice trade away from a World Series appearance in 2001.
Lou was begging for another quality bat and Dave Justice was there to be had.

Instead the Yankees traded for him and he killed the Mariners in that series.

The Mariners ownership and front office “cheapness” back then is why the Mariners are the only team to never appear in the WS.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3hlwp5yk said:
XxXdragonXxX":3hlwp5yk said:

The Mariners ownership and front office “cheapness” back then is why the Mariners are the only team to never appear in the WS.

I used to dislike Woody Woodward when I was a kid. I still have to say the Slocumb trade is the dumbest in history, and I am annoyed that he let Randy go without making him an offer.

Since then, however, I have seen Bill Bavasi and Jack Z show what true garbage looks like. Also, I think all of our GMs have been hamstrung by the Lincoln-Armstrong duo. With both of them gone, perhaps Dipito will have success.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":2s31i6dp said:
Sports Hernia":2s31i6dp said:
XxXdragonXxX":2s31i6dp said:

I used to dislike Woody Woodward when I was a kid. I still have to say the Slocumb trade is the dumbest in history, and I am annoyed that he let Randy go without making him an offer.

Since “then, however, I have seen Bill Bavasi and Jack Z show what true garbage looks like. Also, I think all of our GMs have been hamstrung by the Lincoln-Armstrong duo. With both of them gone, perhaps Dipito will have success.
The “Linc-strong” monster was a particular frustrating creature watch.
The damage it did is still felt today. They duo should have been fired numerous times over.
I’m convinced they had naked pictures of someone and were blackmailing ownership.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":7m7tub25 said:
The damage it did is still felt today. They duo should have been fired numerous times over.
I’m convinced they had naked pictures of someone and were blackmailing ownership.

The story goes that Lincoln won important legal battles for Nintendo N.A., so, they rewarded him by basically granting him tenure. Not sure what enabled Armstrong to also stay around. That might have been blackmail.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":hulmh9fr said:
Sports Hernia":hulmh9fr said:

The story goes that Lincoln won important legal battles for Nintendo N.A., so, they rewarded him by basically granting him tenure. Not sure what enabled Armstrong to also stay around. That might have been blackmail.
Could be. He wasn’t a “baseball man” and tried to run a MLB like a normal business.
Chuck Armstrong was a “baseball man” but a shitty one.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Threedee":2rbm3pz3 said:
Sports Hernia":2rbm3pz3 said:

Howard Lincoln successfully defended Nintendo from MCA/Universal when it's lawsuit-happy president, Sid Sheinberg, sued them over Donkey Kong, claiming it infringed on their copyright of King Kong, and demanded Nintendo turn over DK and all of it's profits to MCA. Lincoln was able to prove not only that DK was not infringing on King Kong, but also that MCA had successfully taken Merian C. Cooper's family to court in order to remake King Kong without paying any royalties to them by proving King Kong was in the public domain, and that no one owned the copyright. Not only that, but the judge also found that MCA had illegally licensed King Kong to Tiger Electronics to make a knockoff of DK that DID infringe on Nintendo's copyright, and ordered MCA to turn the Tiger King Kong game and all the profits over to Nintendo, as well as pay all of Nintendo's court fees. Unfortunately, Japanese companies are very loyal. Nothing was going to get them to fire Lincoln after he did that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":wwdr4jcv said:
Threedee":wwdr4jcv said:
Sports Hernia":wwdr4jcv said:

Howard Lincoln successfully defended Nintendo from MCA/Universal when it's lawsuit-happy president, Sid Sheinberg, sued them over Donkey Kong, claiming it infringed on their copyright of King Kong, and demanded Nintendo turn over DK and all of it's profits to MCA. Lincoln was able to prove not only that DK was not infringing on King Kong, but also that MCA had successfully taken Merian C. Cooper's family to court in order to remake King Kong without paying any royalties to them by proving King Kong was in the public domain, and that no one owned the copyright. Not only that, but the judge also found that MCA had illegally licensed King Kong to Tiger Electronics to make a knockoff of DK that DID infringe on Nintendo's copyright, and ordered MCA to turn the Tiger King Kong game and all the profits over to Nintendo, as well as pay all of Nintendo's court fees. Unfortunately, Japanese companies are very loyal. Nothing was going to get them to fire Lincoln after he did that.
True. .....and I’m thankful for Nintendo for keeping the Mariners in Seattle. The big mistake was letting an idiot like Lincoln run it. I doubt he knew the difference between a curveball and a fastball the whole time he was running the team.