Seattle Mariners 2020 season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Since the season is only 60 games and I’m assuming there will be no minor league or very limited minor league games, do you bring up play/start Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, and other top minor league players? They are already talking about expanded rosters.....

Not playing would likely hurt their development possibly more than playing @ the MLB level.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bjmxi6g said:
Since the season is only 60 games and I’m assuming there will be no minor league or very limited minor league games, do you bring up play/start Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, and other top minor league players? They are already talking about expanded rosters.....

Not playing would likely hurt their development possibly more than playing @ the MLB level.

Yes id bring them up. A lot of starters wont go 7 innings for awhile so a lot of relievers. Plus idk if triple A is happening. So, yes id let them play some.

sutz

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2nuetf7e said:
Sports Hernia":2nuetf7e said:

Yes id bring them up. A lot of starters wont go 7 innings for awhile so a lot of relievers. Plus idk if triple A is happening. So, yes id let them play some.
They're manipulating the squad numbers so that kids like these can be close to the show, while not just throwing them to the wolves. Apparently, they'll have Cheney Field available for practice/intersquad games, since there won't be any minors. Game day rosters will be expanded on opening day, too, especially to allow pitchers to not have to throw full games early in the season. Have been reading articles in the Times about it. Sounds like there is a plan in place.

They have to be careful about the major league eligibility and call up options available, also.

Mariners fans know well what happens when you bring up young guys too soon, so they burn out early in their careers. Some kids never get over the shock.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2hx082n8 said:
Shanegotyou11":2hx082n8 said:
Sports Hernia":2hx082n8 said:

They're manipulating the squad numbers so that kids like these can be close to the show, while not just throwing them to the wolves. Apparently, they'll have Cheney Field available for practice/intersquad games, since there won't be any minors. Game day rosters will be expanded on opening day, too, especially to allow pitchers to not have to throw full games early in the season. Have been reading articles in the Times about it. Sounds like there is a plan in place.

They have to be careful about the major league eligibility and call up options available, also.

Mariners fans know well what happens when you bring up young guys too soon, so they burn out early in their careers. Some kids never get over the shock.
I get what you’re saying but Kelenic and Rodriguez are going to be much better players than Ackley and Zunino.
Kyle Lewis got called up late last year and was on fire as soon as he was called up, last year was his first FULL minor league season.

sutz

Reaction score
Mariners and their taxi squad predictions:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... lb-season/
Analysis: Who will make the Mariners’ 40-man roster and 20-man ‘taxi squad’ for shortened MLB season?

At first, it seemed like it would be a quick and easy analysis. The plan, which most baseball writers will do in the next few days, was to project the group of 60 players that the Mariners expect to invite to participate in spring training 2.0, or perhaps if you prefer “summer camp” … hat tip to Steve Bonaci on Twitter for that moniker.

How difficult could it be?

Pick the 60 best players who are most ready to step in and play in one of the 60 regular-season games in this shortened campaign. The 40-man roster takes up the bulk of the 60 players, so that leaves 20 non-roster players to fill out what is being called “a taxi squad,” which will consist of players not on the active roster.

But the Mariners are bringing a different philosophy into this truncated 2020 season. They are still in the midst of a rebuilding plan that has been slowed, if not sidetracked, by the shutdown caused by the spread of coronavirus. Before the sports world was put on pause, the Mariners’ plan was to use this season for development by having a slew of young and largely inexperienced players amass innings, at-bats and games at the major-league level. On paper, the projected roster appeared to be a 90-plus loss team. While the win-loss results were expected to be ugly at times, the purpose was to give players an opportunity to gain MLB experience to build for the seasons to come while the organization could evaluate them to see if or when they’d be a part of the future core of this rebuild.

And with the typical minor league season expected to be canceled and no definite plans for an extended spring training league or fall league in place, the Mariners need to get top prospects back on the field in some way. This was expected to be a significant developmental season in the minor leagues for top prospects like Jarred Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, Logan Gilbert and others. And not having any baseball for them would be crushing.

More at link.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Would it be any more of a Mariner thing to do but make the playoffs and covid cancels playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1laz42wm said:
Mariners and their taxi squad predictions:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... lb-season/
Analysis: Who will make the Mariners’ 40-man roster and 20-man ‘taxi squad’ for shortened MLB season?

At first, it seemed like it would be a quick and easy analysis. The plan, which most baseball writers will do in the next few days, was to project the group of 60 players that the Mariners expect to invite to participate in spring training 2.0, or perhaps if you prefer “summer camp” … hat tip to Steve Bonaci on Twitter for that moniker.

How difficult could it be?

Pick the 60 best players who are most ready to step in and play in one of the 60 regular-season games in this shortened campaign. The 40-man roster takes up the bulk of the 60 players, so that leaves 20 non-roster players to fill out what is being called “a taxi squad,” which will consist of players not on the active roster.

But the Mariners are bringing a different philosophy into this truncated 2020 season. They are still in the midst of a rebuilding plan that has been slowed, if not sidetracked, by the shutdown caused by the spread of coronavirus. Before the sports world was put on pause, the Mariners’ plan was to use this season for development by having a slew of young and largely inexperienced players amass innings, at-bats and games at the major-league level. On paper, the projected roster appeared to be a 90-plus loss team. While the win-loss results were expected to be ugly at times, the purpose was to give players an opportunity to gain MLB experience to build for the seasons to come while the organization could evaluate them to see if or when they’d be a part of the future core of this rebuild.

And with the typical minor league season expected to be canceled and no definite plans for an extended spring training league or fall league in place, the Mariners need to get top prospects back on the field in some way. This was expected to be a significant developmental season in the minor leagues for top prospects like Jarred Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, Logan Gilbert and others. And not having any baseball for them would be crushing.

More at link.
Thanks for the info. I will be disappointed if Kelenic doesn’t get some MLB AB’s this summer, as he was projected by many to be a September call up. Kyle Lewis jumped from AA to MLB last year and did very well.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I’ve been a Mariners fan since the late 70’s and have committed considerable time and money supporting them. For that commitment I have “several” amazing memories that reached the pinnacle of winning a divisional series. Even with all the failures and disappointments I started each season with that hope that this could be the year. I unfortunately have watched the passing of friends and family that shared the hope of a WS, and have been all to aware that as my age climbs the odds of me seeing my team play in one are looking grim.

My fear today is not about never watching them in a WS but.... that they will win the 60 game covid season *WS

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":scmvhu1t said:
I’ve been a Mariners fan since the late 70’s and have committed considerable time and money supporting them. For that commitment I have “several” amazing memories that reached the pinnacle of winning a divisional series. Even with all the failures and disappointments I started each season with that hope that this could be the year. I unfortunately have watched the passing of friends and family that shared the hope of a WS, and have been all to aware that as my age climbs the odds of me seeing my team play in one are looking grim.

My fear today is not about never watching them in a WS but.... that they will win the 60 game covid season *WS

Why? A title is a title.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2mbukkxi said:
Flyingsquad23":2mbukkxi said:

Why? A title is a title.
Exactly!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1qzhx0qn said:
Shanegotyou11":1qzhx0qn said:
Flyingsquad23":1qzhx0qn said:

Why? A title is a title.
Exactly!
Oh please!I get where the guy is coming from as fan
from the start,all those horrible seasons and so close
to WS you could taste it!
The first title has to be one earned over 162 games
not some punny schedule with weird changes.
Anyone who wins will be considered the covoid champ.
I hope play all their young ones in prep for next year
and get a top 3 pick the next draft.
That is my take :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3et0pn4w said:
Sports Hernia":3et0pn4w said:
Shanegotyou11":3et0pn4w said:
Flyingsquad23":3et0pn4w said:

Why? A title is a title.
Exactly!
Oh please!I get where the guy is coming from as fan
from the start,all those horrible seasons and so close
to WS you could taste it!
The first title has to be one earned over 162 games
not some punny schedule with weird changes.
Anyone who wins will be considered the covoid champ.
I hope play all their young ones in prep for next year
and get a top 3 pick the next draft.
That is my take :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:
I’ll take a COVID WS Title and proudly display it in the trophy case.
I do agree with playing the young studs however.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Indy got my drift. This season if it even goes through will be topped off with an asterisk. Like prize rookies getting hurt, trading first ballot HOF’ers, and finishing a season with 116 wins(tied for the record) a WS* this year would be true Mariner style.

getnasty

Reaction score
With the expanded playoff and shortened season maybe the M's suprise us and sneak in this year?

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":u6r62i0i said:
Indy got my drift. This season if it even goes through will be topped off with an asterisk. Like prize rookies getting hurt, trading first ballot HOF’ers, and finishing a season with 116 wins(tied for the record) a WS* this year would be true Mariner style.

Pitchers pitching everyday?

Like 154 game seasons?

1995 shortened season?

Steroid era?

Drugs being heavily used in 70s and 80s?

Wah wah. A season is a season. It wont matter as mariners wont make it but come on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maybe one advantage the Mariners have is starting pitchers will only go 4ish innings to start.
So when you face other teams “stud” pitchers it won’t be for 8 innings. So maybe this will even things out a bit?