Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattle Mariners 2020 season

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Seattle Mariners 2020 season
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:12 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I haven’t watched much of the Mariners this season. From what I’ve seen Lewis looks like he could become the next big star for the franchise. Who else do you guys see sticking around for the future? Crawford has looked decent. But after that I don’t see much. Obviously Rodriguez and Kelenic will join Lewis as the core guys. But even with them, a lot of holes. I’m disappointed in the two young arms in Dunn and Sheffield. Do you guys see them turning it around?

Trout is amazing, and numbers show that he is one of the best to ever play. For how great he is, he’s only made the playoffs in 2014 and is yet to win a postseason game. I think that shows that baseball is a team sport and not an individual sport. Which is why I would shy away from huge contracts to superstar players. Whereas I have no problem handing out big contracts in the NFL or NBA. Put LeBron James or Russell Wilson on some of the worst teams and they’ll find a way to make the playoffs. It’s just crazy to think that possibly the best player in baseball history cannot win.

They have Kelenic and Rodriguez that are going to be studs, Cal Raleigh a catcher with pop, Marte a SS with speed and a little pop. George Kirby who has great control as a pitcher as he walked no one (see zero) last year, and other decent pitching prospects. Add that to the current team and add Free Agency to fill the holes and you got a pretty good team that will contend. I’m still not sold on all of the pitching prospects outside of Kirby.

Dunn and Sheffield have preformed below my expectations so far but they have showed glimpses. They both tend to have habits of giving up big innings. I think they can still be good, they are just not there yet.

If healthy they are going to have the best outfield in baseball, once Kelenic and Rodriguez join Lewis and start
    Playing full time.

I’m expecting Lewis, Kelenic and Rodriguez to be very good players. After that I won’t count on any prospects. If we aren’t at least competitive by next season then I’ll be disappointed. I probably won’t watch much of this team unless they call up Kelenic and some of the other guys.

As much as I love baseball it’s getting harder for me to watch this team. They are boring AF.
    The same players being auto-outs every AB, ie Volgleout, Long Jr, Gordon, White.

I can tolerate White because of his defense and he is better than he’s hitting and his problems are fixable by changing his approach. The others are vets or 4A players. The only AB’s I look forward too are Lewis and Seager’s.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:25 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I haven’t watched much of the Mariners this season. From what I’ve seen Lewis looks like he could become the next big star for the franchise. Who else do you guys see sticking around for the future? Crawford has looked decent. But after that I don’t see much. Obviously Rodriguez and Kelenic will join Lewis as the core guys. But even with them, a lot of holes. I’m disappointed in the two young arms in Dunn and Sheffield. Do you guys see them turning it around?

Trout is amazing, and numbers show that he is one of the best to ever play. For how great he is, he’s only made the playoffs in 2014 and is yet to win a postseason game. I think that shows that baseball is a team sport and not an individual sport. Which is why I would shy away from huge contracts to superstar players. Whereas I have no problem handing out big contracts in the NFL or NBA. Put LeBron James or Russell Wilson on some of the worst teams and they’ll find a way to make the playoffs. It’s just crazy to think that possibly the best player in baseball history cannot win.

They have Kelenic and Rodriguez that are going to be studs, Cal Raleigh a catcher with pop, Marte a SS with speed and a little pop. George Kirby who has great control as a pitcher as he walked no one (see zero) last year, and other decent pitching prospects. Add that to the current team and add Free Agency to fill the holes and you got a pretty good team that will contend. I’m still not sold on all of the pitching prospects outside of Kirby.

Dunn and Sheffield have preformed below my expectations so far but they have showed glimpses. They both tend to have habits of giving up big innings. I think they can still be good, they are just not there yet.

If healthy they are going to have the best outfield in baseball, once Kelenic and Rodriguez join Lewis and start
    Playing full time.

I’m expecting Lewis, Kelenic and Rodriguez to be very good players. After that I won’t count on any prospects. If we aren’t at least competitive by next season then I’ll be disappointed. I probably won’t watch much of this team unless they call up Kelenic and some of the other guys.

As much as I love baseball it’s getting harder for me to watch this team. They are boring AF.
    The same players being auto-outs every AB, ie Volgleout, Long Jr, Gordon, White.

I can tolerate White because of his defense and he is better than he’s hitting and his problems are fixable by changing his approach. The others are vets or 4A players. The only AB’s I look forward too are Lewis and Seager’s.

This is a 60 game spring training at this point
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:04 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:They have Kelenic and Rodriguez that are going to be studs, Cal Raleigh a catcher with pop, Marte a SS with speed and a little pop. George Kirby who has great control as a pitcher as he walked no one (see zero) last year, and other decent pitching prospects. Add that to the current team and add Free Agency to fill the holes and you got a pretty good team that will contend. I’m still not sold on all of the pitching prospects outside of Kirby.

Playing full time.

I can tolerate it because of his defense and he is better than he’s hitting and his problems are fixable by changing his approach. The others are vets or 4A players. The only AB’s I look forward too are Lewis and Seager’s.

This is a 60 game spring training at this point

Yep, I’m looking to be at least a little entertained though. If they get down 2-0 it’s game over.
    Perfect time to get the young prospects up and get some MLB AB’s instead of running the same old spare parts that are overmatched and doomed to fail.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:31 pm
  • 1 hit...

Might as well go for the no-no and make the front page
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:50 pm
  • I think they are tied for 2nd for worst win % with the Angels who will finish higher than Seattle and Pittsburgh who is worse than Seattle currently.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:24 pm
  • I'm with this being a long spring training..No need to be upset
    i just hope the GM has an ace of a plan up his sleeve through
    all this.
    I know they don't want to bring Jake up because of service time
    concerns so why not sign him to a long term deal so he can play?
    it's a new trend to bypass FA and service time BS.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I'm with this being a long spring training..No need to be upset
    all this.

Jarrod?
    Yes they can sign him to a Evan a White type of contract, which is what I feel they may end up doing anyhow.
    Not upset with them losing, I’m upset with them not taking advantage of opportunities.

What have Volgelout, Long Jr, and Gordon done to earn a spot in the lineup everyday?
    All of their batting averages start with a 1. They are all deadweight.
    You should be using those MLB “less pressure than most years” AB’s for your young studs.

Edit correction: Long Jr is batting .200, Volgleout is batting .088
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm
  • Feel bad for White.. damn
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 pm
  • Hit parade tonight.

Lewis has to be the AL roty favorite right? Seagar ha been great since the end of last year. Dylan Moore I'm pretty sure is off my $h!t list, he was incredibly bad last year but is now tied for the team lead in HRs and isn't even an every day player. Time for him to be DH when he isn't in the field?
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:00 pm
  • This team has hope. Get some good pitchers especially in the pen and bring Kelenic up. The funny thing is we should hate houston so much more then thought. They cheated us out of playoffs when we had cruz and cano.

Funny thing is AL west is bad besides oakland right now so we are 1 game back of playoffs. Lol
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:30 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:This team has hope. Get some good pitchers especially in the pen and bring Kelenic up. The funny thing is we should hate houston so much more then thought. They cheated us out of playoffs when we had cruz and cano.

Funny thing is AL west is bad besides oakland right now so we are 1 game back of playoffs. Lol

Looks like the offense shot it’s wad last night with a weeks worth of runs in one game.
    Bad Marco pitching tonight.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:This team has hope. Get some good pitchers especially in the pen and bring Kelenic up. The funny thing is we should hate houston so much more then thought. They cheated us out of playoffs when we had cruz and cano.

Looks like the offense shot it’s wad last night with a weeks worth of runs in one game.
    Bad Marco pitching tonight.

Looking good so far!!!
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:58 pm
  • One good inning. Blanks otherwise.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm
  • sutz wrote:One good inning. Blanks otherwise.

ArsonSquad came in and coughed up the lead. I hope they improve the bullpen in the offseason, these goobers ain’t going to cut it.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:One good inning. Blanks otherwise.

ArsonSquad came in and coughed up the lead. I hope they improve the bullpen in the offseason, these goobers ain’t going to cut it.

Painful, but we knew this was coming. The bright spot is the bullpen is often one of the easiest things to build. Lot of good arms in the farm system coming up. Shame they lost this year of seasoning.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:36 pm
  • Taijuan had a pretty good outing. 6 full innings, no runs. Had a couple of rough spots, but pitched through them.

:2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 pm
  • sutz wrote:Taijuan had a pretty good outing. 6 full innings, no runs. Had a couple of rough spots, but pitched through them.

:2thumbs:

Walker pitched great. Deserved the win.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:14 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I'm with this being a long spring training..No need to be upset
    all this.

Jarrod?
    Yes they can sign him to a Evan a White type of contract, which is what I feel they may end up doing anyhow.
    Not upset with them losing, I’m upset with them not taking advantage of opportunities.

What have Volgelout, Long Jr, and Gordon done to earn a spot in the lineup everyday?
    You should be using those MLB “less pressure than most years” AB’s for your young studs.

:34853_doh: Yes.. :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:02 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I'm with this being a long spring training..No need to be upset
    all this.

Jarrod?

:34853_doh: Yes.. :lol:

Don’t sweat it. Just making sure we are talking about the same player.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm
  • Bullpen is trash
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm
  • Hour long 1st inning. Terrible pitching, errors all over the place. Of course when you're starting a guy from this bullpen, that's what you're gonna get.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm
  • With a 60 game season.. maybe a Mercy rule shuold be in effect.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 pm
  • Evan White hit a Home Run. Maybe he’s starting to pull out of his long slump.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 am
  • White is super nice on defense and i feel for him on offense. I think he will become a good hitter in the future.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:08 pm
  • Free Kelenic!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 am
  • Well, Sheff had another quality start. That's two in a row. He and Dunn appear to be shoring up the back end of the rotation pretty well right now.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm
  • sutz wrote:Well, Sheff had another quality start. That's two in a row. He and Dunn appear to be shoring up the back end of the rotation pretty well right now.

Yep. Not really worried about the starting pitching. Too many holes in the bullpen and starting lineup.
    They are wasting a perfect opportunity to bring some young guys up and get their feet wet in a throw away season at the MLB level but this team is too cheap as they are too worried about the arbitration clock.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:48 pm
  • It's likely service time issues with the young guys we want up right?
    I want the highest pick(s).
    The young guys can come up for like the last 10 games?I'm not sure.
    One of those just had his cast off hand not long ago.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:It's likely service time issues with the young guys we want up right?
    I want the highest pick(s).
    The young guys can come up for like the last 10 games?I'm not sure.
    One of those just had his cast off hand not long ago.

They won’t “admit“ it’s a service time issue, but if the biggest issue for not calling up prized
    Prospects.

I get what you are saying. This team has plenty of holes, but I don’t think bringing up a few of the young guys is going to change the record much. The bullpen is a sieve and cannot hold any type of lead, so I think accumulation of loses will keep happening.

Yes, J-rod (#2 prospect) was the one that fractured his wrist, I don’t mind them taking time with him because of said injury.
    Bringing up Kelenic, and Raleigh should have happened already IMHO. They are wasting MLB AB’s on spare parts that have no future with Seattle (Vogelout, Gordon, M. Smith, insert back up catcher here).
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 pm
  • Apparently waiting to bring up Kelenic until a couple weeks into 2021 Gaines them 2 years of club control....
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Apparently waiting to bring up Kelenic until a couple weeks into 2021 Gaines them 2 years of club control....

Kelenic was a projected 2020 call up in September like Kyle Lewis was brought up last year.
    The clock is clicking on Dipoto’s time here. The quicker they get the young studs acclimated to MLB caliber of play the quicker the winning starts (2021, 2022) the quicker the security of a new contract for Jerry.

If they are worried about the young studs being brought up too early, I counter with Kyle Lewis who made the jump last year from AA with just barely over a season of total minor league play (because of injury), and hasn’t stopped hitting since he was brought up.

I have zero worries about Kelenic hitting in the bigs. Too talented, too hard of worker, too high of baseball IQ, too confident/cocky to fail.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Apparently waiting to bring up Kelenic until a couple weeks into 2021 Gaines them 2 years of club control....

Kelenic was a projected 2020 call up in September like Kyle Lewis was brought up last year.
    The clock is clicking on Dipoto’s time here. The quicker they get the young studs acclimated to MLB caliber of play the quicker the winning starts (2021, 2022) the quicker the security of a new contract for Jerry.

If they are worried about the young studs being brought up too early, I counter with Kyle Lewis who made the jump last year from AA with just barely over a season of total minor league play (because of injury), and hasn’t stopped hitting since he was brought up.

I have zero worries about Kelenic hitting in the bigs. Too talented, too hard of worker, too high of baseball IQ, too confident/cocky to fail.

Whats more important : 100ABs in the big or 2 additional years of club control?

Seems like a simple business decision
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Apparently waiting to bring up Kelenic until a couple weeks into 2021 Gaines them 2 years of club control....

Where are you getting 2 years of Club Control from? Honest question.
    Barring injury, He (Kelenic) will be up next year likely as projected.

Who knows, maybe they will go the Lewis route they did last year as a September call up?
    I just think they are blowing a golden opportunity to get some RARE pressure free MLB AB’s instead of the usual suspects who likely won’t be here next year.

Club control can be navigated be extending existing contracts. Sure, it’s going to cost you some $$$, but if you are going to re-sign the player, you are going to payout a likely sizable contract anyhow.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:26 am
  • I'm just going of xxxdragon. I haven't looked.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:52 pm
  • Bright side is Mallox Smith is bye bye!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Bright side is Mallox Smith is bye bye!

One down 3 to go. Why is Volglout still here and playing? Dude is hitting under .100.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:54 pm
  • Vogelbach is gone.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:31 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Vogelbach is gone.

About time. Brought up the wrong outfielder though.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:10 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Who knows, maybe they will go the Lewis route they did last year as a September call up?
    I just think they are blowing a golden opportunity to get some RARE pressure free MLB AB’s instead of the usual suspects who likely won’t be here next year.

Club control can be navigated be extending existing contracts. Sure, it’s going to cost you some $$$, but if you are going to re-sign the player, you are going to payout a likely sizable contract anyhow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokes ... ontent=amp
    There’s also the service time issue. Depending on when Kelenic makes his debut, it could be the difference between Seattle having club control through 2025 or 2027. It’s likely to be a consideration for all of the Mariners’ prospects, especially since the club isn’t likely to be a contender until 2022.

They'd have to wait to bring him up until a few weeks into 2021 to keep club control through 2027. And Kelenic isn't likely to sign an extension for cheap. They could be saving millions of dollars by not bringing him up right away.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:24 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Kelenic was a projected 2020 call up in September like Kyle Lewis was brought up last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spokes ... ontent=amp
    There’s also the service time issue. Depending on when Kelenic makes his debut, it could be the difference between Seattle having club control through 2025 or 2027. It’s likely to be a consideration for all of the Mariners’ prospects, especially since the club isn’t likely to be a contender until 2022.

They'd have to wait to bring him up until a few weeks into 2021 to keep club control through 2027. And Kelenic isn't likely to sign an extension for cheap. They could be saving millions of dollars by not bringing him up right away.

Your last line is my point, it’s a money issue. Seattle is being cheap and it might end up backfiring and biting them in the ass.

The way around this is via a contract extension at some point. With his talent it’s going to be expensive regardless. It might even cost them more money if they piss him off and don’t bring him up until May of 2021, or worse, he refuses to sign an extension and walks and becomes a FA after the 2027 season.

I don’t think you d*ck around with players of his talent level by playing these “clock” games. They brought up Griffey and Felix as teenagers, where was the worry about “the clock” back then?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 am
  • Your last line is my point, it’s a money issue. Seattle is being cheap and it might end up backfiring and biting them in the ass.

The way around this is via a contract extension at some point. With his talent it’s going to be expensive regardless. It might even cost them more money if they piss him off and don’t bring him up until May of 2021, or worse, he refuses to sign an extension and walks and becomes a FA after the 2027 season.

I don’t think you d*ck around with players of his talent level by playing these “clock” games. They brought up Griffey and Felix as teenagers, where was the worry about “the clock” back then?[/quote]
    The thing is back then the players union/owners contract rules were different.
    Unless the player signs a long term deal before the majors,I doubt we will
    ever see another JR,Felix or Aroid up early.
    I'm glad I was able to see it and in an era's where the service time wasn't
    a valid issue like today but greed has led to this.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:03 pm
  • Nice job by Sheffield tonight. A few good outings in a row now.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:19 pm
  • Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:06 pm
  • Well Vogey is gone for good. Traded to the Blue Jay's for cash.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:40 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.

Yes he is. He adjusted to being thrown the breaking ball. Another homer today.

Can’t wait to see the outfield of Lewis, Kelenic and J-rod.
    It’s going to be the best OF in MLB at some point.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:40 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Well Vogey is gone for good. Traded to the Blue Jay's for cash.

Suckers! Jays got fleeced.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:39 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.

That will be fun to see for sure..
    Who will be the infield?White-1B Nola-C Crawford-SS
    rest is blank.. :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:59 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Lewis now batting .373 after going 3 for 3 with 2 walks tonight. This kid is special.

That will be fun to see for sure..
    Who will be the infield?White-1B Nola-C Crawford-SS
    rest is blank.. :lol:

Noelvi Marte is a SS, you can probably plug in @ 2nd or 3rd, Cal Raleigh is a catcher you probably can rotate between he and Nola @ DH.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:18 pm
  • Whose that White guy?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information