Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:05 pm
  • This had to be done.
    Baseball is starting and I am more excited than last year :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5934
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm
  • Was thinking of doing it myself. I started it last year IIRC. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:

    And in important news this week: The Big Maple is back. :mrgreen:

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -rotation/

    Analysis: What a healthy James Paxton could mean for the Mariners’ starting rotation


    Image

    James Paxton and Blake Snell stood chatting near the D1 gate of Sea-Tac airport, early Monday morning, waiting to board their flight to Phoenix. Neither the mass of people waiting in the boarding area nor the swarms of snow-stranded travelers shuffling by had any idea that two of baseball’s most talented left-handed pitchers were conversing.

    Then again, only diehard baseball fans might have recognized them without the required masks. And with masks? Not so much.

    While they share so many similarities – left arms seemingly touched by lightning bolts, blazing fastballs, devastating breaking pitches and unhittable stuff when healthy – the juxtaposition of where they are in their careers and where they are going beyond their immediate mutual destination of the Peoria Sports Complex for COVID-19 testing is palpable.

    Snell, 28, was headed to the Padres’ side of the complex as the biggest acquisition in an offseason filled with them for San Diego. When we last saw him on a mound, he was dominating the Dodgers before being prematurely pulled by Kevin Cash in Game 6 of the World Series, which the Rays would ultimately lose. With a talented young Padres team, Snell still has great seasons ahead of him with the possibility of one more big contract possibly in his future as a free agent at age 31.

    Meanwhile, Paxton, 32, is returning to where it all began for him – the Mariners’ side of the complex – where much has changed in the two seasons he was gone, other than the postseason drought. It was there on March 4, 2011 when he showed up as an awkward and overwhelmed 22-year-old, having just ended a protracted holdout for a larger signing bonus after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. A whole baseball career was still ahead of him.


    I'm excited about the return of Paxton. Could be a big boost to the rotation if he's healthy and back to his pre-Yankees form.

    :2thumbs: :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21656
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:44 pm
  • Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

    Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:26 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

    Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.



    True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34931
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

    Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.



    True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)


    If they really appreciated the fans, they wouldn't have felt threatened by a potential NBA franchise on their back porch.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 pm
  • At the risk of sounding like a broken record (sorry Si) I hope they don’t play arbitration games with Kelenic.
    If he is as good as he is supposed to be the arbitration years get bought out anyway.

    He needs to be starting up here from day 1 IMHO. You can wait on J-rod who is coming off an injury and is only 20.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

    Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.



    True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)


    If they really appreciated the fans, they wouldn't have felt threatened by a potential NBA franchise on their back porch.

    Yep. If you run your business the right way you will be successful and won’t have to worry about the competition.
    With the Kraken and the Sonics (potentially coming back), the M’s are forced to up their game and the quality of the product on the field.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

    Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.



    True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)


    If they really appreciated the fans, they wouldn't have felt threatened by a potential NBA franchise on their back porch.

    Yep. If you run your business the right way you will be successful and won’t have to worry about the competition.
    With the Kraken and the Sonics (potentially coming back), the M’s are forced to up their game and the quality of the product on the field.


    I realize I can sound like a broken record, but jeez, it's been 20 YEARS now. I was a teenager the last time they made the playoffs. I just don't see how anyone who's been watching them that entire time can feel even mildly optimistic. The last time I had any potential hope was when they fired Bavasi, and that was over 12 years ago. Scott Servais has the 2nd most wins of any manager in team history. We have driven managers to hate the game to the point of just walking away (Hargrove and Wedge). We wasted a once-in-a-generation pitcher's entire career. I just don't have anything left to give. The Mariners owe me, at this point.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 am
  • Why I said they lead the league in Fan Appreciation days, Bobble heads, Caps, whatever else they can get made cheap to give to fans to come to games as collector items. It isn't for the chance to be a contender after May and June.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34931
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 am
  • Did the M's do anything this past offseason to address their abysmal bullpen?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10682
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:59 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Did the M's do anything this past offseason to address their abysmal bullpen?

    Well, nobody knows how effective it will be, but yeah, they did some stuff.
    From Jan. 26
    https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/marine ... r-bullpen/

    When the regular season ended last September, the Seattle Mariners made it a priority to seek out fresh arms to give their troubled bullpen a needed boost.

    Seattle’s relievers finished last season as the worst bullpen in the American League, posting a collective 6-13 record and 5.92 ERA.

    The numbers were even more worrisome than the season before, when the Mariners ended with the fourth-worst bullpen ERA in the league at 4.77.

    So, general manager Jerry Dipoto set out to amend the club’s biggest area of concern.


    More at link.

    Basically added Graveman, Montero, and Middleton. May not be done.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21656
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:21 pm
  • sutz wrote:Was thinking of doing it myself. I started it last year IIRC. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:

    And in important news this week: The Big Maple is back. :mrgreen:

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -rotation/

    Analysis: What a healthy James Paxton could mean for the Mariners’ starting rotation


    Image

    James Paxton and Blake Snell stood chatting near the D1 gate of Sea-Tac airport, early Monday morning, waiting to board their flight to Phoenix. Neither the mass of people waiting in the boarding area nor the swarms of snow-stranded travelers shuffling by had any idea that two of baseball’s most talented left-handed pitchers were conversing.

    Then again, only diehard baseball fans might have recognized them without the required masks. And with masks? Not so much.

    While they share so many similarities – left arms seemingly touched by lightning bolts, blazing fastballs, devastating breaking pitches and unhittable stuff when healthy – the juxtaposition of where they are in their careers and where they are going beyond their immediate mutual destination of the Peoria Sports Complex for COVID-19 testing is palpable.

    Snell, 28, was headed to the Padres’ side of the complex as the biggest acquisition in an offseason filled with them for San Diego. When we last saw him on a mound, he was dominating the Dodgers before being prematurely pulled by Kevin Cash in Game 6 of the World Series, which the Rays would ultimately lose. With a talented young Padres team, Snell still has great seasons ahead of him with the possibility of one more big contract possibly in his future as a free agent at age 31.

    Meanwhile, Paxton, 32, is returning to where it all began for him – the Mariners’ side of the complex – where much has changed in the two seasons he was gone, other than the postseason drought. It was there on March 4, 2011 when he showed up as an awkward and overwhelmed 22-year-old, having just ended a protracted holdout for a larger signing bonus after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. A whole baseball career was still ahead of him.


    I'm excited about the return of Paxton. Could be a big boost to the rotation if he's healthy and back to his pre-Yankees form.

    :2thumbs: :snack:

    I wasn't trying to beat you to it..I was waiting a while for someone else lol.
    Anyway I too love Pax being back and we have a decent Starting rotation
    hopefully the BP is good and we can hit ..I'm excited this year :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5934
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:At the risk of sounding like a broken record (sorry Si) I hope they don’t play arbitration games with Kelenic.
    If he is as good as he is supposed to be the arbitration years get bought out anyway.

    He needs to be starting up here from day 1 IMHO. You can wait on J-rod who is coming off an injury and is only 20.

    Besides the racial $h!t that Kevin Mather said, my worst fears are coming true.
    They’ve already pissed him off, and he refused a 6 year deal with option years for 7,8,9.
    Been reading and deciphering Kelenic’s Twitter posts for 6 months now and had a feeling this was the case.
    The failure to call him up last September may have just cost the Mariners years 7,8,9. The club has control of a player for 6 years, now if the Mariners want to keep him past that they may have to severely overpay due to their own games they played.

    The racial comments Mather made about foreign language speaking players who are friends with Kelenic didn’t help either I’m assuming. Kevin Mather needs to be fired and striped of his ownership ASAP.

    Here’s what he said about Kelenic...

    He is a very good player. And quite frankly we think he’s going to be a superstar. We control his major league career for six years. And after six years, he’ll be a free agent. We would like him to get a few more at-bats in the minor leagues. Probably AAA Tacoma for a month, and then he will likely be in left field at T-Mobile park for the next six or seven years, and then he’ll be a free agent...He won’t commit beyond his free agent years. I wouldn’t say he’s unhappy, he appreciates the offer, he just refused to sign it. He thinks he’s going to be that good. And he thinks he will be a very well-paid player after six years, and I think he might be right. Hopefully with us, but we’ll see where we end up...he’s not unhappy, I guess I would say he’s unhappy that he hasn’t played at T-Mobile Park, but he thought he should have been in left field at T-Mobile Park , three years ago. I mean, he does not lack confidence.

    ————————-

    I feared the “arbitration clock games” were going to cost them down the road, looks like I may be right.
    And some wonder why they are the only MLB team to play in a World Series.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 pm
  • The mariners being mariners again. Just read the article about Mather, if he isn’t fired but the end of the day then kiss any playoff chance away. The bad karma from this dude is thick and it will stick to the organization like the smell on the WFT.

    The worst part of this situation was summed up in the article, this isn’t just the mindset of one executive it is an organization mindset. And quite frankly probably the reason they have sucked a bag of d...’s the last 20 years.

    This is a 5 alarm fire and we haven’t even made spring training.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 549
    Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm
  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:The mariners being mariners again. Just read the article about Mather, if he isn’t fired but the end of the day then kiss any playoff chance away. The bad karma from this dude is thick and it will stick to the organization like the smell on the WFT.

    The worst part of this situation was summed up in the article, this isn’t just the mindset of one executive it is an organization mindset. And quite frankly probably the reason they have sucked a bag of d...’s the last 20 years.

    This is a 5 alarm fire and we haven’t even made spring training.

    He just resigned/or was fired.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 7524
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:32 pm
  • The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 549
    Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm
  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic

    Meh, firing someone that high in the organization is a messy business. This is the best and quickest way. Frankly, I think you lost faith in the M's many moons ago. ;)
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21656
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Flyingsquad23 wrote:The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic

    Meh, firing someone that high in the organization is a messy business. This is the best and quickest way. Frankly, I think you lost faith in the M's many moons ago. ;)

    I don’t blame anyone that’s had enough on this organization. They’ve spent a lot of time and energy saying “we are different” from the Linc-Strong days, only to be found to be exactly the same. Same failed philosophies, same Penny pinching agenda.

    You piss off your arguably your best prospect by dicking him around with these arbitration games, that likely going to cost you years 7,8,9 of his services. Or by luck if he decides to stay it’s going to cost you TOP dollar to keep him. So these dollars you think you are saving by playing these games are actually going to cost you a superstar player in his prime or much more money down the road. Shortsightedness is this orgs SOP.

    And that’s not even getting into Mathers “English speaking” comments.
    If I’m a non-English speaking player, why would I want to come play for the M’s if I know their attitude towards no English speaking people?

    This team for the past 20 years has done nothing but step on their own Dic**

    If you wanted to read a book of how not to run a MLB franchise, the Seattle Mariners would the author of that book.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 pm
  • I guess they still value stupidity in the organization, even after years of Lincoln & Armstrong®

    He probably had to place a double-digit figure on his job application in a field labelled IQ, or they would automatically throw it in the trashcan.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2851
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I wasn't trying to beat you to it..I was waiting a while for someone else lol.
    Anyway I too love Pax being back and we have a decent Starting rotation
    hopefully the BP is good and we can hit ..I'm excited this year :2thumbs:


    I have missed the Maple Grove. Time for some more K'eh signs!
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2851
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:53 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Flyingsquad23 wrote:The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic

    Meh, firing someone that high in the organization is a messy business. This is the best and quickest way. Frankly, I think you lost faith in the M's many moons ago. ;)


    Show me one person who has even an iota of faith in the Mariners and I'll show you an ignorant fool.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7227
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:18 pm
  • Another bad look for an awful franchise. I pay very little attention to this team now, can someone update me on what other trouble the front office has ran into? Didn’t they have some sexual harassment allegations? What else am I missing.

    Just my opinion, but I think they should hire either a woman or a minority to take his place.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4248
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:40 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Another bad look for an awful franchise. I pay very little attention to this team now, can someone update me on what other trouble the front office has ran into? Didn’t they have some sexual harassment allegations? What else am I missing.

    Just my opinion, but I think they should hire either a woman or a minority to take his place.


    Remember the Mariners are Owned by Japanese Businessman, culturally that is probably not something that would happen easily. The closest you could expect is maybe a Hispanic or Asian Male if looking at Minority, the Asian I would dread only due to them possibly being from Japan and not familiar with Americas systems and could create a bigger issue. There are however many good Hispanic Baseball people and Black Americans as well if they are willing to go that direction. Just don't see a team owned by a Culture that is more restrictive then we are about Women in high positions hiring someone for their CEO.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34931
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 pm
  • Not a good look for the Mariners, but I was honestly expecting worse after seeing the headlines. My expectations for this team are pretty low.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2707
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:58 pm
  • sutz wrote:Was thinking of doing it myself. I started it last year IIRC. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:

    And in important news this week: The Big Maple is back. :mrgreen:

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -rotation/

    Analysis: What a healthy James Paxton could mean for the Mariners’ starting rotation


    Image

    James Paxton and Blake Snell stood chatting near the D1 gate of Sea-Tac airport, early Monday morning, waiting to board their flight to Phoenix. Neither the mass of people waiting in the boarding area nor the swarms of snow-stranded travelers shuffling by had any idea that two of baseball’s most talented left-handed pitchers were conversing.

    Then again, only diehard baseball fans might have recognized them without the required masks. And with masks? Not so much.

    While they share so many similarities – left arms seemingly touched by lightning bolts, blazing fastballs, devastating breaking pitches and unhittable stuff when healthy – the juxtaposition of where they are in their careers and where they are going beyond their immediate mutual destination of the Peoria Sports Complex for COVID-19 testing is palpable.

    Snell, 28, was headed to the Padres’ side of the complex as the biggest acquisition in an offseason filled with them for San Diego. When we last saw him on a mound, he was dominating the Dodgers before being prematurely pulled by Kevin Cash in Game 6 of the World Series, which the Rays would ultimately lose. With a talented young Padres team, Snell still has great seasons ahead of him with the possibility of one more big contract possibly in his future as a free agent at age 31.

    Meanwhile, Paxton, 32, is returning to where it all began for him – the Mariners’ side of the complex – where much has changed in the two seasons he was gone, other than the postseason drought. It was there on March 4, 2011 when he showed up as an awkward and overwhelmed 22-year-old, having just ended a protracted holdout for a larger signing bonus after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. A whole baseball career was still ahead of him.


    I'm excited about the return of Paxton. Could be a big boost to the rotation if he's healthy and back to his pre-Yankees form.

    :2thumbs: :snack:



    Whoa. I started it last year. Lol.

    I am pumped for this yr.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3925
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 pm
  • You're right. My bad. :oops:

    I kind of wrote off last season and had a senior moment. :les: I started a 2018/19 Offseason Thread. :D
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21656
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:24 pm
  • Anyone else agree with my sentiment this is a make it or break it season? Not that we need to make the playoffs, but the team needs to show some promise. Ideally the young guys play well, we improve upon last season.

    My expectations this season is that we build a foundation to compete the next season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4248
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm
  • Good write up in the Times on Haniger, the forgotten man. :)

    ‘It feels like just yesterday’: Mitch Haniger returns to Mariners lineup for the first time since injury in 2019

    Image

    By Ryan Divish
    Seattle Times staff reporter

    PEORIA, Ariz. — Nine hundred, eleven thousand, five hundred, fifty minutes … how do you measure what was lost in almost two years?

    In days?
    In games?
    In innings?
    In at-bats?
    In salary?
    In sleepless nights?

    With apologies to “Rent,” there is no uplifting song to be sung for Mitch Haniger’s “seasons of loss.”

    But when he appeared from the dugout of Peoria Stadium with his Mariners teammates on a bright, but windy Sunday afternoon, jogging to his customary position of right field before the top of the first inning of the Cactus League opener against the Padres, the moment meant just a little more to him than his teammates.

    It was the first time that he stepped on a baseball field to compete in a baseball game of any sort since June 6, 2019, when the Mariners played an afternoon getaway day game against the Astros at a sun-drenched T-Mobile Park.


    I hope he can get back to his 2018 form. He was being mentioned in All Star talk that year.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... y-in-2019/
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21656
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm
  • Think I will follow the Mariners this year, since Oregon doesn't have a team. At least we have the Blazers. Watched the World Series last year and enjoyed them. Never been much of a baseball fan, but willing to give it a go. I will never watch ball golf though. Nope.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:01 pm
  • Mariners will win 88 games this yr and make the playoffs.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3925
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:03 pm
  • The Mariners have potentially 4 stud outfielders in the near future with Lewis, Kelenic, J-rod, and Trammel (sp?)
    The first 3 can all play CF, not sure about Trammel.
    You can play 3 in the field and rotate the 4th into the DH slot, and keep everyone fresh.

    Haniger is a FA in 2023 so that’s about when J-rod, and Trammel should be ready.

    If they all light up the minors and Mitch has a good healthy season this year, you might be able to flip him (Haniger) for a solid arm or 2.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33419
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:45 am
  • sutz wrote:Good write up in the Times on Haniger, the forgotten man. :)

    ‘It feels like just yesterday’: Mitch Haniger returns to Mariners lineup for the first time since injury in 2019

    Image

    By Ryan Divish
    Seattle Times staff reporter

    PEORIA, Ariz. — Nine hundred, eleven thousand, five hundred, fifty minutes … how do you measure what was lost in almost two years?

    In days?
    In games?
    In innings?
    In at-bats?
    In salary?
    In sleepless nights?

    With apologies to “Rent,” there is no uplifting song to be sung for Mitch Haniger’s “seasons of loss.”

    But when he appeared from the dugout of Peoria Stadium with his Mariners teammates on a bright, but windy Sunday afternoon, jogging to his customary position of right field before the top of the first inning of the Cactus League opener against the Padres, the moment meant just a little more to him than his teammates.

    It was the first time that he stepped on a baseball field to compete in a baseball game of any sort since June 6, 2019, when the Mariners played an afternoon getaway day game against the Astros at a sun-drenched T-Mobile Park.


    I hope he can get back to his 2018 form. He was being mentioned in All Star talk that year.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... y-in-2019/


    What a run of back luck Haniger has had. I too wish him the best and hope he can get back to prior form.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5079
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:11 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:The Mariners have potentially 4 stud outfielders in the near future with Lewis, Kelenic, J-rod, and Trammel (sp?)
    The first 3 can all play CF, not sure about Trammel.
    You can play 3 in the field and rotate the 4th into the DH slot, and keep everyone fresh.

    Haniger is a FA in 2023 so that’s about when J-rod, and Trammel should be ready.

    If they all light up the minors and Mitch has a good healthy season this year, you might be able to flip him (Haniger) for a solid arm or 2.

    Remember when the Ms outfield of the future was Mitch Haniger, Ben Gamel, and Guillermo Heredia? Those were the days.

    Thank goodness Lewis was in the farm to bail that out.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1732
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here




It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests