Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:59 pm
  • sutz wrote:Evan White just nailed a salami in the bottom of the 6th. :2thumbs: :snack:

Absolutely love the guys glove, but he needs to start hitting.
    Gave away too many AB’s last year. Gets into too many bad counts early in AB’s.
    Hoping last year was an anomaly, as he hit decent in the minors.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:59 am
  • They sent down Kelenic despite him leading the team with over a 1.200+ OPS.
    What a joke of a franchise, still a bunch of clowns playing arbitration games with their top prospect.

They think this will save them a year of service time, but in all actuality will cost them any chance of extending the original contract as you just pissed him off, and they will have to trade him a year or 2 early to get anything of value back instead of letting he walk via free agency when his original contract is up.

....and they wonder why they are the only team in MLB baseball to never appear in the World Series.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:58 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:They sent down Kelenic despite him leading the team with over a 1.200+ OPS.
    What a joke of a franchise, still a bunch of clowns playing arbitration games with their top prospect.

They think this will save them a year of service time, but in all actuality will cost them any chance of extending the original contract as you just pissed him off, and they will have to trade him a year or 2 early to get anything of value back instead of letting he walk via free agency when his original contract is up.

....and they wonder why they are the only team in MLB baseball to never appear in the World Series.

Had they just put him on the team..It doesn't mean he would have extended
    anything and He hasn't proved anything yet so we have years before we
    say it was a dumb move either way.
    It is only for what?14 or 21 days ect He's still coming up very soon and I
    hope he wins rookie of the year.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:They sent down Kelenic despite him leading the team with over a 1.200+ OPS.

Had they just put him on the team..It doesn't mean he would have extended
    anything and He hasn't proved anything yet so we have years before we
    say it was a dumb move either way.
    It is only for what?14 or 21 days ect He's still coming up very soon and I
    hope he wins rookie of the year.

Normally I wouldn’t bat an eye about a prospect being upset but this guy is going to be a flat out stud.

You don’t piss guys like that off. Kelenic’s the ultimate competitor, those guys don’t forget who they think may have screwed them over. IMHO for the reasons I stated in the previous post the Mariners just shortened his career here in Seattle when think they are lengthening it. They will have to trade him 2 years before his contract is up tor let him play out his contract and get nothing when he leaves. They are pretty much eliminating any shot at a contract extension, which Kelenic has stated if you read between the lines.

The Mariners said if he would have signed a Evan White type pre major league extension he would have been called up last September.

So he would have been deemed “ready” if he signed that deal, but is not ready NOW and has “stuff to work on” despite leading the team in OPS. That is called “playing games”.

He led the team in OPS, yes it was a small sample size, but to say he didnt earn a spot over Fraley, Majomos, or Bishop is false (not saying you said this). Especially with Lewis being out, there is no reason for Kelenic NOT to be starting opening day.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:03 pm
  • I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:49 am
  • Threedee wrote:I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.

They are cheap in certain areas (see not trading for Dave Justice in late 2001 who got traded to the yanks and killed us in the playoffs) but then spend money like a drunken sailor on the over the hill fan favorites like Dan Wilson and Jamie Moyer (whom I both liked). Then they over pay on Kyle Seager.

They are horrible on HOW they spend their $$$.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:42 pm
  • I'm pretty sure all of those deals were with a different FO group, though. They've been pretty smart lately.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:07 pm
  • sutz wrote:I'm pretty sure all of those deals were with a different FO group, though. They've been pretty smart lately.

Yes they were. This group IMHO is equally inept when it comes to common sense though for the reasons I described, with the exception of rebuilding a farm system which they have excelled at.

You don’t piss off your potential superstars by playing arbitration games, then insult the other top prospect by criticizing his English speaking abillity, and then b!@ch about paying $70,000 a year for an interpreter for your Japanese ball players. That was done by this FO/ownership team.

Don’t be surprised when Kelenic says he won’t sign an extension with Seattle and they end up having to trade him 2 years to go on his contract in order to get any value back.

I really want to love this team with no reservations but the FO/ownership is making it very hard to do so with the stupid $h!t they say and do.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:43 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Threedee wrote:I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.

They are cheap in certain areas (see not trading for Dave Justice in late 2001 who got traded to the yanks and killed us in the playoffs) but then spend money like a drunken sailor on the over the hill fan favorites like Dan Wilson and Jamie Moyer (whom I both liked). Then they over pay on Kyle Seager.

I think they were so excited that Kyle was the only player from amongst a group of young players who actually developed (Ackley, Franklin, Miller, etc). Add insult to injury, because, it turns out that the organization was a systematic failure in this department at all levels, because, Smoak and Taylor went to other teams, and became solid players. Even Zunino has managed not to suck in TB.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:16 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Threedee wrote:I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.

I think they were so excited that Kyle was the only player from amongst a group of young players who actually developed (Ackley, Franklin, Miller, etc). Add insult to injury, because, it turns out that the organization was a systematic failure in this department at all levels, because, Smoak and Taylor went to other teams, and became solid players. Even Zunino has managed not to suck in TB.

That’s another reason I’m pissed on how they are handling the Kelenic situation, we finally have a guy that’s going to be a “stud” coming from our farm system (yes I know he was drafted by the Mets), and IMHO they just shortened his time as a mariner as I’d be shocked if he signs an extension after this. ....and when you trade a superstar in his prime, you never get anywhere close to his value back.

The only shining sliver of hope he stays is that the Mariners have a ton of success (see winning a World Series) with this young crop of players that enjoys playing together so much they want to stay together and the Mariners don’t Penny pinch their way back to mediocrity. The Mariners are banking on this severe long shot, that is unlikely to happen.

I hope I’m wrong, but it’s not likely.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:That’s another reason I’m pissed on how they are handling the Kelenic situation, we finally have a guy that’s going to be a “stud” coming from our farm system (yes I know he was drafted by the Mets), and IMHO they just shortened his time as a mariner as I’d be shocked if he signs an extension after this. ....and when you trade a superstar in his prime, you never get anywhere close to his value back.

The only shining sliver of hope he stays is that the Mariners have a ton of success (see winning a World Series) with this young crop of players that enjoys playing together so much they want to stay together and the Mariners don’t Penny pinch their way back to mediocrity. The Mariners are banking on this severe long shot, that is unlikely to happen.

If we're lucky, the new leadership will be able to sweet talk him with the whole, "our direction and money offers does not reflect the idiots who preceded us," spiel.

Immediate success would be welcome, though.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:20 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:That’s another reason I’m pissed on how they are handling the Kelenic situation, we finally have a guy that’s going to be a “stud” coming from our farm system (yes I know he was drafted by the Mets), and IMHO they just shortened his time as a mariner as I’d be shocked if he signs an extension after this. ....and when you trade a superstar in his prime, you never get anywhere close to his value back.

If we're lucky, the new leadership will be able to sweet talk him with the whole, "our direction and money offers does not reflect the idiots who preceded us," spiel.

I hope you are right.

They will have 4 young stud outfielders they can interchange (Kelenic, J-rod, Lewis, and Trammel).
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:10 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:That’s another reason I’m pissed on how they are handling the Kelenic situation, we finally have a guy that’s going to be a “stud” coming from our farm system (yes I know he was drafted by the Mets), and IMHO they just shortened his time as a mariner as I’d be shocked if he signs an extension after this. ....and when you trade a superstar in his prime, you never get anywhere close to his value back.

I hope you are right.

They will have 4 young stud outfielders they can interchange (Kelenic, J-rod, Lewis, and Trammel).

I've spent years believing that immediate success would follow the departure of Lincoln and Armstrong. I am still committed to that belief, despite the hiring and firing of a complete asshat for CEO.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 pm
  • I'm watching the home opener with the SF Giants.

Top of the 5th, 4-0, Giants.

Everyone has an off day but so far the Mariners aren't looking terribly impressive.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:41 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I'm watching the home opener with the SF Giants.

Everyone has an off day but so far the Mariners aren't looking terribly impressive.

The Mariners are still a work in progress. Young team, one of their best players Lewis is on the DL, and their best prospect is stupidly in the minors for 15 games while the Mariners play idiotic arbitration games with him.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:I'm watching the home opener with the SF Giants.

The Mariners are still a work in progress. Young team, one of their best players Lewis is on the DL, and their best prospect is stupidly in the minors for 15 games while the Mariners play idiotic arbitration games with him.

Yeah, never heard those excuses before./s
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:54 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Marco pitching batting practice, and the M’s can’t hit.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32 pm
  • Mariners got the lead now in the 8th. Wow...I thought it would be a shutout or near the other way.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:19 pm
  • As soon as I turned on the radio to hear rick rizz the rally started
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 pm
  • Walk off Walk is the best walk off.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 am
  • What a comeback!
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 am
  • I hope the all around pitching is an improvement all around from last year. That's all I ask.

But great win! I love those types of deep comeback victories. Can't wait till Lewis is back in the fold.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:53 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:I hope the all around pitching is an improvement all around from last year. That's all I ask.

But great win! I loved those types of deep comeback victories. Can't wait till Lewis is back in the fold.

Get Lewis back and call Kelenic up in a couple of weeks and the line up will be much stronger.
    With Paxton pitching tonight I expect a Mariners win.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Too bad for Mitch he missed a pretty sweet comeback so his wife could watch The View.

Haha.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:41 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:I hope the all around pitching is an improvement all around from last year. That's all I ask.

But great win! I loved those types of deep comeback victories. Can't wait till Lewis is back in the fold.

Get Lewis back and call Kelenic up in a couple of weeks and the line up will be much stronger.

I'm afraid Pax was pushed back to game 5. Yusei tonight.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:I hope the all around pitching is an improvement all around from last year. That's all I ask.

You are correct.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

You are correct.

Yep. I'd love to see a game where the prized pitcher from Japan doesn't get lit up. No more excuses for him trying to get used to MLB pitchers. At some point we just need to realize if he's actually good or not. Kikuchi was extremely underwhelming last year and looked equally so in preseason.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm
  • I was surprised to see an article on MLB.com that had Yusei as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. He has the tools just needs to figure it out.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:01 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:I was surprised to see an article on MLB.com that had Yusei as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. He has the tools just needs to figure it out.

I just don't even see the tools. I mean the tools to be a number 3 or 4 starter maybe but literally nothing about him wows me what do ever.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:26 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:I was surprised to see an article on MLB.com that had Yusei as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. He has the tools just needs to figure it out.

I just don't even see the tools. I mean the tools to be a number 3 or 4 starter maybe but literally nothing about him wows me what do ever.

He’s hit 97 on the gun tonight, pitching well so far.
    His problem is the mental side of pitching, and avoiding the big inning.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:26 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:I was surprised to see an article on MLB.com that had Yusei as a dark horse Cy Young candidate. He has the tools just needs to figure it out.

My favourite thing to chant is:

I SAY GO!
    YOUSEI KIKUCHI!!
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 am
  • Servais is terrible when it comes to bullpen management. So many blown games by the bullpen. We should be 2-0 dang it!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:Servais is terrible when it comes to bullpen management. So many blown games by the bullpen. We should be 2-0 dang it!

Second winningest manager in team history. :stirthepot:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:14 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:Servais is terrible when it comes to bullpen management. So many blown games by the bullpen. We should be 2-0 dang it!

Lmao... I miss Lou
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:Servais is terrible when it comes to bullpen management. So many blown games by the bullpen. We should be 2-0 dang it!

Lmao... I miss Lou

The only competently run period in Mariners history was when Piniella and Gillick were running things... and they had to answer to Tweedle Dee Lincoln and Tweedle Dum Armstrong.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Lmao... I miss Lou

The only competently run period in Mariners history was when Piniella and Gillick were running things... and they had to answer to Tweedle Dee Lincoln and Tweedle Dum Armstrong.

Sad but true. :(
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 pm
  • It’s early, but they need to start scoring runs. Lewis bring out hurts and them dicking around by not bringing up their best prospect, are 2 big bats missing from the line up. It’s a long season but if they miss the playoffs by a game or 3 you can point to this.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:03 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:It’s early, but they need to start scoring runs. Lewis bring out hurts and them dicking around by not bringing up their best prospect, are 2 big bats missing from the line up. It’s a long season but if they miss the playoffs by a game or 3 you can point to this.

Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm
  • Thanks to T-Mobile/Sprint, I got MLB.tv for free for the season so I'm able to watch M's games again. Tonight's pitcher looks really good so far. 5 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 pm
  • One series win.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:37 pm
  • Good win tonight in pretty much all phases.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm
  • sutz wrote:Good win tonight in pretty much all phases.

Yep. More please.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:It’s early, but they need to start scoring runs. Lewis bring out hurts and them dicking around by not bringing up their best prospect, are 2 big bats missing from the line up. It’s a long season but if they miss the playoffs by a game or 3 you can point to this.

Touché. Well played. :irishdrinkers:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 pm
  • Big prime time matchup on ESPN tonight!

Unfortunately Gonzaga also plays tonight in the championship...but still. Go Ms!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 pm
  • I’m starting to think Sheffield is your typical over-rated yankee prospect.
    Not impressed.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m starting to think Sheffield is your typical over-rated yankee prospect.
    Not impressed.

Yep. Hasn't impressed me really, either. It was a red flag when he was struggling in Tacoma, then got demoted to Arkansas and continued to struggle.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:52 pm
  • Well boys, the hitting ineptitude we've come to know so well here in Seattle was on full display tonight. That was an embarrassment and tough to watch.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:Well boys, the hitting ineptitude we've come to know so well here in Seattle was on full display tonight. That was an embarrassment and tough to watch.

Free Kelenic!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 am
  • [vine][/vine]
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Well boys, the hitting ineptitude we've come to know so well here in Seattle was on full display tonight. That was an embarrassment and tough to watch.

Free Kelenic!

It's not fair to Kelenic and not best for the team at the moment but i'll wait 15 games when he's young to have another free year when he's older. There needs to be some kind of rule change so teams aren't able to do this to players though.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information