The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This had to be done.
Baseball is starting and I am more excited than last year :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
Was thinking of doing it myself. I started it last year IIRC. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:

And in important news this week: The Big Maple is back. :mrgreen:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -rotation/

Analysis: What a healthy James Paxton could mean for the Mariners’ starting rotation

092935 765x1024

James Paxton and Blake Snell stood chatting near the D1 gate of Sea-Tac airport, early Monday morning, waiting to board their flight to Phoenix. Neither the mass of people waiting in the boarding area nor the swarms of snow-stranded travelers shuffling by had any idea that two of baseball’s most talented left-handed pitchers were conversing.

Then again, only diehard baseball fans might have recognized them without the required masks. And with masks? Not so much.

While they share so many similarities – left arms seemingly touched by lightning bolts, blazing fastballs, devastating breaking pitches and unhittable stuff when healthy – the juxtaposition of where they are in their careers and where they are going beyond their immediate mutual destination of the Peoria Sports Complex for COVID-19 testing is palpable.

Snell, 28, was headed to the Padres’ side of the complex as the biggest acquisition in an offseason filled with them for San Diego. When we last saw him on a mound, he was dominating the Dodgers before being prematurely pulled by Kevin Cash in Game 6 of the World Series, which the Rays would ultimately lose. With a talented young Padres team, Snell still has great seasons ahead of him with the possibility of one more big contract possibly in his future as a free agent at age 31.

Meanwhile, Paxton, 32, is returning to where it all began for him – the Mariners’ side of the complex – where much has changed in the two seasons he was gone, other than the postseason drought. It was there on March 4, 2011 when he showed up as an awkward and overwhelmed 22-year-old, having just ended a protracted holdout for a larger signing bonus after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. A whole baseball career was still ahead of him.

I'm excited about the return of Paxton. Could be a big boost to the rotation if he's healthy and back to his pre-Yankees form.

:2thumbs: :snack:

Maulbert

Reaction score
Can't wait for them to be 10 games out by June.

Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":30zo0o7l said:

Hey, Si, I'm a Mariners fan, and I'm allowed to be realistic. Just putting that out there before you get pissy with me for being honest again.

True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1avmn9sf said:
Maulbert":1avmn9sf said:

True, but the Mariners lead the league in Fan appreciation night collector items. :)

If they really appreciated the fans, they wouldn't have felt threatened by a potential NBA franchise on their back porch.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (sorry Si) I hope they don’t play arbitration games with Kelenic.
If he is as good as he is supposed to be the arbitration years get bought out anyway.

He needs to be starting up here from day 1 IMHO. You can wait on J-rod who is coming off an injury and is only 20.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":ttqzm3uf said:
chris98251":ttqzm3uf said:
Maulbert":ttqzm3uf said:

If they really appreciated the fans, they wouldn't have felt threatened by a potential NBA franchise on their back porch.
Yep. If you run your business the right way you will be successful and won’t have to worry about the competition.
With the Kraken and the Sonics (potentially coming back), the M’s are forced to up their game and the quality of the product on the field.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zedyqte said:
Maulbert":1zedyqte said:
chris98251":1zedyqte said:
Maulbert":1zedyqte said:

Yep. If you run your business the right way you will be successful and won’t have to worry about the competition.
With the Kraken and the Sonics (potentially coming back), the M’s are forced to up their game and the quality of the product on the field.

I realize I can sound like a broken record, but jeez, it's been 20 YEARS now. I was a teenager the last time they made the playoffs. I just don't see how anyone who's been watching them that entire time can feel even mildly optimistic. The last time I had any potential hope was when they fired Bavasi, and that was over 12 years ago. Scott Servais has the 2nd most wins of any manager in team history. We have driven managers to hate the game to the point of just walking away (Hargrove and Wedge). We wasted a once-in-a-generation pitcher's entire career. I just don't have anything left to give. The Mariners owe me, at this point.

chris98251

Reaction score
Why I said they lead the league in Fan Appreciation days, Bobble heads, Caps, whatever else they can get made cheap to give to fans to come to games as collector items. It isn't for the chance to be a contender after May and June.

sutz

Reaction score
SeatownJay":rrshvqft said:
Did the M's do anything this past offseason to address their abysmal bullpen?
Well, nobody knows how effective it will be, but yeah, they did some stuff.
From Jan. 26
https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/marine ... r-bullpen/

When the regular season ended last September, the Seattle Mariners made it a priority to seek out fresh arms to give their troubled bullpen a needed boost.

Seattle’s relievers finished last season as the worst bullpen in the American League, posting a collective 6-13 record and 5.92 ERA.

The numbers were even more worrisome than the season before, when the Mariners ended with the fourth-worst bullpen ERA in the league at 4.77.

So, general manager Jerry Dipoto set out to amend the club’s biggest area of concern.

More at link.

Basically added Graveman, Montero, and Middleton. May not be done.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":23spd9ux said:
Was thinking of doing it myself. I started it last year IIRC. You beat me to it. :mrgreen:

And in important news this week: The Big Maple is back. :mrgreen:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... -rotation/

Analysis: What a healthy James Paxton could mean for the Mariners’ starting rotation

092935 765x1024

James Paxton and Blake Snell stood chatting near the D1 gate of Sea-Tac airport, early Monday morning, waiting to board their flight to Phoenix. Neither the mass of people waiting in the boarding area nor the swarms of snow-stranded travelers shuffling by had any idea that two of baseball’s most talented left-handed pitchers were conversing.

Then again, only diehard baseball fans might have recognized them without the required masks. And with masks? Not so much.

While they share so many similarities – left arms seemingly touched by lightning bolts, blazing fastballs, devastating breaking pitches and unhittable stuff when healthy – the juxtaposition of where they are in their careers and where they are going beyond their immediate mutual destination of the Peoria Sports Complex for COVID-19 testing is palpable.

Snell, 28, was headed to the Padres’ side of the complex as the biggest acquisition in an offseason filled with them for San Diego. When we last saw him on a mound, he was dominating the Dodgers before being prematurely pulled by Kevin Cash in Game 6 of the World Series, which the Rays would ultimately lose. With a talented young Padres team, Snell still has great seasons ahead of him with the possibility of one more big contract possibly in his future as a free agent at age 31.

Meanwhile, Paxton, 32, is returning to where it all began for him – the Mariners’ side of the complex – where much has changed in the two seasons he was gone, other than the postseason drought. It was there on March 4, 2011 when he showed up as an awkward and overwhelmed 22-year-old, having just ended a protracted holdout for a larger signing bonus after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. A whole baseball career was still ahead of him.

I'm excited about the return of Paxton. Could be a big boost to the rotation if he's healthy and back to his pre-Yankees form.

:2thumbs: :snack:
I wasn't trying to beat you to it..I was waiting a while for someone else lol.
Anyway I too love Pax being back and we have a decent Starting rotation
hopefully the BP is good and we can hit ..I'm excited this year :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2m77s9v9 said:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (sorry Si) I hope they don’t play arbitration games with Kelenic.
If he is as good as he is supposed to be the arbitration years get bought out anyway.

He needs to be starting up here from day 1 IMHO. You can wait on J-rod who is coming off an injury and is only 20.
Besides the racial shit that Kevin Mather said, my worst fears are coming true.
They’ve already pissed him off, and he refused a 6 year deal with option years for 7,8,9.
Been reading and deciphering Kelenic’s Twitter posts for 6 months now and had a feeling this was the case.
The failure to call him up last September may have just cost the Mariners years 7,8,9. The club has control of a player for 6 years, now if the Mariners want to keep him past that they may have to severely overpay due to their own games they played.

The racial comments Mather made about foreign language speaking players who are friends with Kelenic didn’t help either I’m assuming. Kevin Mather needs to be fired and striped of his ownership ASAP.

Here’s what he said about Kelenic...

He is a very good player. And quite frankly we think he’s going to be a superstar. We control his major league career for six years. And after six years, he’ll be a free agent. We would like him to get a few more at-bats in the minor leagues. Probably AAA Tacoma for a month, and then he will likely be in left field at T-Mobile park for the next six or seven years, and then he’ll be a free agent...He won’t commit beyond his free agent years. I wouldn’t say he’s unhappy, he appreciates the offer, he just refused to sign it. He thinks he’s going to be that good. And he thinks he will be a very well-paid player after six years, and I think he might be right. Hopefully with us, but we’ll see where we end up...he’s not unhappy, I guess I would say he’s unhappy that he hasn’t played at T-Mobile Park, but he thought he should have been in left field at T-Mobile Park , three years ago. I mean, he does not lack confidence.

————————-

I feared the “arbitration clock games” were going to cost them down the road, looks like I may be right.
And some wonder why they are the only MLB team to play in a World Series.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The mariners being mariners again. Just read the article about Mather, if he isn’t fired but the end of the day then kiss any playoff chance away. The bad karma from this dude is thick and it will stick to the organization like the smell on the WFT.

The worst part of this situation was summed up in the article, this isn’t just the mindset of one executive it is an organization mindset. And quite frankly probably the reason they have sucked a bag of d...’s the last 20 years.

This is a 5 alarm fire and we haven’t even made spring training.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":miszvkez said:
The mariners being mariners again. Just read the article about Mather, if he isn’t fired but the end of the day then kiss any playoff chance away. The bad karma from this dude is thick and it will stick to the organization like the smell on the WFT.

The worst part of this situation was summed up in the article, this isn’t just the mindset of one executive it is an organization mindset. And quite frankly probably the reason they have sucked a bag of d...’s the last 20 years.

This is a 5 alarm fire and we haven’t even made spring training.
He just resigned/or was fired.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic

sutz

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":33brzgst said:
The M’s blow it again. They let him resign and then Stanton thanks him for his service...I have lost all faith in this organization. Pathetic
Meh, firing someone that high in the organization is a messy business. This is the best and quickest way. Frankly, I think you lost faith in the M's many moons ago. ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":lluoc7a8 said:
Flyingsquad23":lluoc7a8 said:
Meh, firing someone that high in the organization is a messy business. This is the best and quickest way. Frankly, I think you lost faith in the M's many moons ago. ;)
I don’t blame anyone that’s had enough on this organization. They’ve spent a lot of time and energy saying “we are different” from the Linc-Strong days, only to be found to be exactly the same. Same failed philosophies, same Penny pinching agenda.

You piss off your arguably your best prospect by dicking him around with these arbitration games, that likely going to cost you years 7,8,9 of his services. Or by luck if he decides to stay it’s going to cost you TOP dollar to keep him. So these dollars you think you are saving by playing these games are actually going to cost you a superstar player in his prime or much more money down the road. Shortsightedness is this orgs SOP.

And that’s not even getting into Mathers “English speaking” comments.
If I’m a non-English speaking player, why would I want to come play for the M’s if I know their attitude towards no English speaking people?

This team for the past 20 years has done nothing but step on their own dicks.

If you wanted to read a book of how not to run a MLB franchise, the Seattle Mariners would the author of that book.

Threedee

Reaction score
I guess they still value stupidity in the organization, even after years of Lincoln & Armstrong®

He probably had to place a double-digit figure on his job application in a field labelled IQ, or they would automatically throw it in the trashcan.