Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:04 pm
  • sutz wrote:And now Marco goes on the IL with forearm pain. :34853_doh:


    Oh no! That sucks. Get well soon Marco
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:23 pm
  • How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

    Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4273
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

    Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.


    Kyle Lewis is the only position player that's any good right now.
    Wish they'd bring up Kelenic and eventually Julio Rodriguez and see what's there.
    Justin Dunn and Marco are the only pitchers I like. I like the bullpen, they've been suprisingly the best part of the team so far.

    The hitting still sucks. Idk why our plate discipline is always such a struggle. Lewis is the only player that I trust to hit the ball when he swings. The rest of them are expendable. I can't wait for Seager's contract to end. Haniger should've been traded a couple years ago. Yes, he started fast, but now he's hurt again. I say if we can get a prospect, take it.

    Crawford is inconsistent. White can't hit. France is a temporary player.

    So, all said, I'm still luke warm on the team. Dipoto has got them going in the right direction, and the farm system is worth getting excited about, but there's a lot of work left.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

    Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.


    Kyle Lewis is the only position player that's any good right now.
    Wish they'd bring up Kelenic and eventually Julio Rodriguez and see what's there.
    Justin Dunn and Marco are the only pitchers I like. I like the bullpen, they've been suprisingly the best part of the team so far.

    The hitting still sucks. Idk why our plate discipline is always such a struggle. Lewis is the only player that I trust to hit the ball when he swings. The rest of them are expendable. I can't wait for Seager's contract to end. Haniger should've been traded a couple years ago. Yes, he started fast, but now he's hurt again. I say if we can get a prospect, take it.

    Crawford is inconsistent. White can't hit. France is a temporary player.

    So, all said, I'm still luke warm on the team. Dipoto has got them going in the right direction, and the farm system is worth getting excited about, but there's a lot of work left.

    Agree with most of that, though I do think France is the real deal and eventually Seagers replacement. I think Haniger will be dealt for pitching at some point. JK needs to be brought up now, and maybe others to follow. I think White and Trammell both could use some AAA seasoning even if it’s just a short stint.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

    Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.


    The Mariners usually play well in April/May by July their season is over. I see the same thing happening this year. May be even sooner as their starting pitchers are getting hurt. Improving starting pitching has been problem for DiPoto. He hasn't done it since he arrived. Teams with top pitching and defense but average hitting do better than teams that can hit and have no pitching or defense. Unfortunately the M's can do neither. They have poor hitting, defense, and pitching. I'd be shocked if they are anywhere near .500 by the end of the season.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8041
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 01, 2021 11:39 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:How are we feeling about this team? I haven’t watched a lot of them, but I think their record feels about right. This team feels like a .500 team. Can’t see them making the playoffs with the starting rotation that they have. Paxton is done. Sheffield looks like a bust. Not sure what to make of Kikuchi, think he makes a fine 3 or 4 starter. Marco has had a rough start, but he is not an ace. I like Dunn, think he has great potential. Feels like we need a true ace (maybe Gilbert), and another starter or two.

    Offense is all over the place, but got to think we will be fine once Haniger gets healthy and Kelenic joins the team.


    The Mariners usually play well in April/May by July their season is over. I see the same thing happening this year. May be even sooner as their starting pitchers are getting hurt. Improving starting pitching has been problem for DiPoto. He hasn't done it since he arrived. Teams with top pitching and defense but average hitting do better than teams that can hit and have no pitching or defense. Unfortunately the M's can do neither. They have poor hitting, defense, and pitching. I'd be shocked if they are anywhere near .500 by the end of the season.

    As much as I want to disagree, I can’t.
    That is why I feel Haniger will be dealt for pitching sometime this season.
    Will it be enough? Maybe with the combo of young arms on the cusp that are in the minors now?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 01, 2021 11:57 am
  • Well, at least we saw some life from the back end of the batting order last night. Will it keep up? Who knows, but Dylan Moore has played well before, as has Murphy.

    Would hate to see Haniger go, but we'll have like 6 top outfielders if/when Kelenic and Rodriguez get called up. Something will definitely have to give then.

    I try not to worry too much about how they're doing in April. April is over. May/June is when people start showing if they're the real deal or not.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21908
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 01, 2021 6:35 pm
  • 8-0 with 2 outs in the 2nd inning. Newsome is throwing batting practice out there and the Angels are teeing off. Yikes.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3729
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun May 02, 2021 4:57 pm
  • Good game today..Ugly offense still but great BP..Vest and Graveman 0.00 era
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6047
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 pm
  • I think we should have a complete forum for the Mariners.

    There would appear to be at least a few Hawks fans that like to talk baseball as well.

    The M's appear to have a strong BP with J Kelenic outfielder coming up soon and most likely starting pitcher Logan Gilbert. Kelenic is a top 10 prospect in most publications. Logan Gilbert is a top 50 rated prospect. Cal R. is a catching prospect and an organizational top 10 and near top 100 prospect he is the 3rd real threat to be an impact rookie other than BP guys.

    Early season stats are a strange small sample size and all. The M's are currently 16 and 13 and doing so with really 3 regulars hitting well Seager, Haniger, France. Jt Crawford is a Gold Glove defender and average hitter. 8 semi-regulars have batting averages under 200. I expect regression to the mean to happen at some point but it is crazy how slow the bats are to get going.

    Some of the guys I expect to heat up Moore, Lewis, Murphy to name a few. But if the M's are to remain in the playoff hunt I expect Kelenic, Gilbert, and maybe even Cal Raleigh to help out.

    Moore walks 10%+ of the time, and he basically slugs ISO .200 so that combo is an extremely high floor for a guy that can play any none Catcher position. Plus he steals bases pretty well. A Mariner version of Ben Zobrist?
    Hanjag
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 14
    Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:30 am


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 12:31 am
  • Mariners pitching is holding it down but we need offense.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3959
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 am
  • Good thing that wasn't a 7 inning double header game. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21908
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 am
  • Today's 12:40 rubber game could be a low-hits Means-vs-Kikuchi pitching duel. Scoreless going into the 7th wouldn't surprise me.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1003
    Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 am
  • Ruminator wrote:Today's 12:40 rubber game could be a low-hits Means-vs-Kikuchi pitching duel. Scoreless going into the 7th wouldn't surprise me.

    With the Mariners offense and all of the sub .200 averages I expect every game to be low scoring, for them anyhow. :?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm
  • M’s being perfectoed by a guy with a 93-94 fastball. LOL.
    Team full of AAAA players. Hopefully the clowns in the ownership and front office pull their heads out and soon.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm
  • The Evan White experience
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3131
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 pm
  • 3 outs from being no hit. And the ONLY base runner struck out, but it was a wild pitch.
    Literally ONE ball hit hard the entire game up thru the 8th inning.
    Wow, while I'm stoked for the future of this team, the offense is putrid, often.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17368
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 3:04 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:3 outs from being no hit. And the ONLY base runner struck out, but it was a wild pitch.
    Literally ONE ball hit hard the entire game up thru the 8th inning.
    Wow, while I'm stoked for the future of this team, the offense is putrid, often.

    That explains why there was no perfect game then.
    Saw no hits, and no walks, no HBP, and was thinking WTF?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 3:13 pm
  • Seattle’s starting line-up BA’s after the game today.

    .254
    .246
    .242
    .184
    .140
    .141
    .129
    .213
    .245

    Everyone with the exception of Lewis with a BA of under .200 needs to go to Tacoma including the bench guys.

    Let’s start up the Tacoma shuttle. Too many half assed plate appearances.
    Either the guys are too comfortable up here and or they are not very good.

    Cant wait to hear the excuses after this one.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 5:02 pm
  • Woooow... well i thought 2021 was thee year the M’s are successful. I moved out of the area so i do not get root sports anymore. But i try to keep up with their highlights. They are only 2.5 games out have they really been that bad? I mean the averages are terrible so i guess that answers that lol
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1614
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 pm
    Location: Medford Oregon


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 pm
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:Woooow... well i thought 2021 was thee year the M’s are successful. I moved out of the area so i do not get root sports anymore. But i try to keep up with their highlights. They are only 2.5 games out have they really been that bad? I mean the averages are terrible so i guess that answers that lol

    They also have a negative run differential.
    Their record is smoke and mirrors and only because the bullpen has been so good until recently.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 pm
  • Hey, look, I'm the only one not disappointed.

    Not to say I told you so, buuuuuuuut.........
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7414
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 8:03 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:3 outs from being no hit. And the ONLY base runner struck out, but it was a wild pitch.
    Literally ONE ball hit hard the entire game up thru the 8th inning.
    Wow, while I'm stoked for the future of this team, the offense is putrid, often.


    M's have long been a blessing for opposing pitchers' ERA.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2962
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm
  • Think I’m tuning this team out until Kelenic and friends get called up.
    Not worth my time watching this crap.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Hey, look, I'm the only one not disappointed.

    Not to say I told you so, buuuuuuuut.........

    I’m a fan of baseball. That’s why I have stuck with this crap organization and crap ownership.
    I’m not going to be a “front runner” and root for the yankees.

    The Mariners are going to be hurting in a hurry, you have the Kraken starting in October and the Sonics will be back in a couple of years. The Mariners with the same philosophy are going to be at the bottom of the pro sports food chain in this city unless they seriously change their philosophy pronto.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 8:21 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Hey, look, I'm the only one not disappointed.

    Not to say I told you so, buuuuuuuut.........

    I’m a fan of baseball. That’s why I have stuck with this crap organization and crap ownership.
    I’m not going to be a “front runner” and root for the yankees.

    The Mariners are going to be hurting in a hurry, you have the Kraken starting in October and the Sonics will be back in a couple of years. The Mariners with the same philosophy are going to be at the bottom of the pro sports food chain in this city unless they seriously change their philosophy pronto.


    I like baseball, too. And I am a Mariners fan. I rather hate the Yankees, and I hate front runner fans. However, I reached a point about 8 years ago where I decided I would not give any money to this team until it can give anything back. Ownership cares more about the bottom line than fielding a competitive team, and this became abundantly clear to me when they started fighting Chris Hansen's attempt to bring back the Sonics. They have earned nothing but my contempt, so until this team actually shows up in meaningful games in September, I will see right through every false start they show us. They have not earned my faith, and my hope does not spring eternal. They owe me, and they won't get one red cent until they show they actually give a $h!t about Seattle. And yes, I will laugh at every foolish optimist this team leads on, because it's the closest thing to joy this team gives me.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7414
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 9:13 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Hey, look, I'm the only one not disappointed.

    Not to say I told you so, buuuuuuuut.........

    I’m a fan of baseball. That’s why I have stuck with this crap organization and crap ownership.
    I’m not going to be a “front runner” and root for the yankees.

    The Mariners are going to be hurting in a hurry, you have the Kraken starting in October and the Sonics will be back in a couple of years. The Mariners with the same philosophy are going to be at the bottom of the pro sports food chain in this city unless they seriously change their philosophy pronto.


    I like baseball, too. And I am a Mariners fan. I rather hate the Yankees, and I hate front runner fans. However, I reached a point about 8 years ago where I decided I would not give any money to this team until it can give anything back. Ownership cares more about the bottom line than fielding a competitive team, and this became abundantly clear to me when they started fighting Chris Hansen's attempt to bring back the Sonics. They have earned nothing but my contempt, so until this team actually shows up in meaningful games in September, I will see right through every false start they show us. They have not earned my faith, and my hope does not spring eternal. They owe me, and they won't get one red cent until they show they actually give a $h!t about Seattle. And yes, I will laugh at every foolish optimist this team leads on, because it's the closest thing to joy this team gives me.

    Agree with much of what you said. Them blocking CH’s efforts to bring back the Sonics chapped my hide.

    I have exactly paid for 2 mariner games since 2010.

    One was opening day 2017, the other was when my nephew’s LLWS team was being honored pre-game by the mariners in 2014.

    I have bought exactly zero dollars worth of M’s merchandise since before 2010.

    I won’t pay for that crap product that was out there today.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm
  • I will be going to two games this season. May 29th vs Rangers and May 31st vs Oakland.

    Why am I throwing money away? Why not just take the tickets and burn them in my backyard?

    Because they're digital only tickets and I need to go to a sporting event lol...
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Think I’m tuning this team out until Kelenic and friends get called up.
    Not worth my time watching this crap.


    I wonder if they are having a reaction to the Zduriencik years, where players were being brought up and not developing into successful pros. Many speculated that they were failing because they were being brought up too early. Nowadays, the memo to DiPoto and Servais might be to wait as long as possible on these matters. Because, otherwise I've got nothing in terms of speculating about what the f*** is going on.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2962
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 6:06 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Think I’m tuning this team out until Kelenic and friends get called up.
    Not worth my time watching this crap.


    I wonder if they are having a reaction to the Zduriencik years, where players were being brought up and not developing into successful pros. Many speculated that they were failing because they were being brought up too early. Nowadays, the memo to DiPoto and Servais might be to wait as long as possible on these matters. Because, otherwise I've got nothing in terms of speculating about what the f*** is going on.

    We have one example of that right now. It is pretty apparent that Evan White can't hit major league pitching. He desperately needs some time at AAA and I expect him to be sent down to Tacoma soon. His gold glove at 1st base doesn't warrant his abysmal performance at the plate. Corner infielders need to hit better than .200. I know folks are saying, "That won't happen with Kelenic or Julio" but I'm not convinced. Bringing kids up that fast doesn't work that often. The majority of the time it just gets them in trouble. Some are called up, only to fail and never recover. Others can take years to figure it out.

    We're all impatient for the brass ring. But rushing the process is the wrong approach. Y'all gonna do what you do. I'll keep hanging in there.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21908
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 7:01 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Threedee wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Think I’m tuning this team out until Kelenic and friends get called up.
    Not worth my time watching this crap.


    I wonder if they are having a reaction to the Zduriencik years, where players were being brought up and not developing into successful pros. Many speculated that they were failing because they were being brought up too early. Nowadays, the memo to DiPoto and Servais might be to wait as long as possible on these matters. Because, otherwise I've got nothing in terms of speculating about what the f*** is going on.

    We have one example of that right now. It is pretty apparent that Evan White can't hit major league pitching. He desperately needs some time at AAA and I expect him to be sent down to Tacoma soon. His gold glove at 1st base doesn't warrant his abysmal performance at the plate. Corner infielders need to hit better than .200. I know folks are saying, "That won't happen with Kelenic or Julio" but I'm not convinced. Bringing kids up that fast doesn't work that often. The majority of the time it just gets them in trouble. Some are called up, only to fail and never recover. Others can take years to figure it out.

    We're all impatient for the brass ring. But rushing the process is the wrong approach. Y'all gonna do what you do. I'll keep hanging in there.

    The talent level between White and Kelenic isn’t in the same universe.
    The reason Kelenic isn’t up isnt because he’s not ready, it’s purely finically driven.
    Seattle thinks they will save dollars down the road and hang on to JK a year longer, which they are dead wrong about, on both.

    The Mariners have never been about winning, they are about making money.
    There are 2 ways to make money, do what they are doing, putting out a crap product and hope enough people love baseball and show up, and live off their TV contracts, or take big risks and go out and spend big dollars and put a perennial winner on the field. They are risk adverse and take the safer road most of the time.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm
  • Sports Hernia, I love baseball but I'm not going to act like I'm super smart/savvy when it comes to the game. So please don't take my question as being condescending.

    My question to you: We saw what happened to Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoke. I'm afraid were starting to see it with White.Why are you convinced that Kelenic will succeed where those players have failed?

    I know he's a top prospect and talked highly about, but weren't those other guys? Why is he any different?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 2:32 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Sports Hernia, I love baseball but I'm not going to act like I'm super smart/savvy when it comes to the game. So please don't take my question as being condescending.

    My question to you: We saw what happened to Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoke. I'm afraid were starting to see it with White.Why are you convinced that Kelenic will succeed where those players have failed?

    I know he's a top prospect and talked highly about, but weren't those other guys? Why is he any different?

    Good question(s) I think SH hide is chapped right now. :snack:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6047
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 6:45 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Sports Hernia, I love baseball but I'm not going to act like I'm super smart/savvy when it comes to the game. So please don't take my question as being condescending.

    My question to you: We saw what happened to Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoke. I'm afraid were starting to see it with White.Why are you convinced that Kelenic will succeed where those players have failed?

    I know he's a top prospect and talked highly about, but weren't those other guys? Why is he any different?

    I had a post all typed out and it didn’t go thru. :x

    Long story short, lots of 1st round picks fail, baseball is hard. It’s a sport where your best players fail at least 65% of the time when a bat is in their hands. Smoak still has hit almost 200 homeruns, but still has had an underwhelming career.

    Sometimes, it’s drive, desire, or injuries why high draft picks fail.

    Kelenic has the drive, desire, swagger, confidence, and talent to succeed.
    He is baseball’s version of a gym rat. His family owns indoor baseball facilities where he is at working out just about everyday during offseason. He has hit at every level he has been at.

    I don’t know whats with the recent insistence that players have to play in AAA before they come to the bigs.
    Just off the top of my head Ken Griffey Jr, Jon Olerud, and Kyle Lewis played exactly zero innings each of AAA baseball outside of a rehab stint for Griffey.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 pm

Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 pm
  • Impressive start for Kelenic!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri May 07, 2021 2:02 am
  • Kelenic to be called up very soon. I think JD knows we have good pitching but need hitting.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3959
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri May 07, 2021 5:07 pm
  • Kyle Lewis getting thrown out trying to get back to 2nd on a fly ball was about the most infuriating thing that's happened all season.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2839
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Kyle Lewis getting thrown out trying to get back to 2nd on a fly ball was about the most infuriating thing that's happened all season.


    I used to get so pissed-off circa 2010-2013ish when the M's transformed into one of the most inept baserunning teams imaginable. The lowest moment came on Jackie Robinson Day in LA when Cano came walking home from third, forgetting that there was no runner on second.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2962
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 pm
  • Kelenic watch: 2-4, 1RBI, 1SB
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 pm
  • Threedee wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Kyle Lewis getting thrown out trying to get back to 2nd on a fly ball was about the most infuriating thing that's happened all season.


    I used to get so pissed-off circa 2010-2013ish when the M's transformed into one of the most inept baserunning teams imaginable. The lowest moment came on Jackie Robinson Day in LA when Cano came walking home from third, forgetting that there was no runner on second.

    Don’t get me started on Cano’s brain farts on the bases.
    I blame the HGH and steroid use.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 am
  • M's right now have a better record than the dodgers if that makes anyone feel better. Somehow someway.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3131
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 08, 2021 11:04 am
  • Crizilla wrote:M's right now have a better record than the dodgers if that makes anyone feel better. Somehow someway.

    Wanna see something crazy? Compare their run differentials. I think LAD have the best in the league and Seattle has one of the worst.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 08, 2021 7:29 pm
  • Well not done, guys.

    #Embarriners
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2962
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 08, 2021 7:44 pm
  • Seriously entertaining games the last two nights. It's awesome seeing some bats come around. France is still slumping bad. I hope he isn't just another Taylor Motter type.

    BUT.....this six man rotation Servais has going on needs to stop. His use of the bullpen as "starters" is not working. It puts the pen in a tough spot because he goes through so many of them in one game and leaves a hole in the pen going into the next game. Newsome is trash in this role. I'm sorry, but he is. It stinks he got injured tonight, but he's shown in the past he isn't built for sustaining a lead in relief.

    One alarming observation from tonight's game is that Kyle Lewis looked like an absolute slug rounding the bases on that final out. It's a damn shame seeing his athleticism sapped like that, which is most likely due to the effects of that knee injury.

    Also, Torrens blew that game with his bone headed error.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1843
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sat May 08, 2021 8:15 pm
  • Since I’d rather not talk about the self inflicted wounds about tonight’s game....

    Kelenic watch: tonight: 2-4, 2 rbi
    Overall .429 BA 1.357 OPS, 2HR, 5RBI
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun May 09, 2021 10:30 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    One alarming observation from tonight's game is that Kyle Lewis looked like an absolute slug rounding the bases on that final out. It's a damn shame seeing his athleticism sapped like that, which is most likely due to the effects of that knee injury.

    Also, Torrens blew that game with his bone headed error.


    Great post. I agree with everything you said. I highlighted these 2 points.

    Hopefully Lewis is still recovering. Sometimes it takes a little bit before players get that burst back. Fingers crossed its soon for Lewis.

    Torrens' mistake was unacceptable. As a major League player, I don't understand how that can happen. Unbelievable. That's something you learn at a young age.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun May 09, 2021 1:59 pm
  • Down 9-2. Need.more.offense.


    Kelenic watch: 2-4, 1 SB
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun May 09, 2021 5:16 pm
  • Kelenic has had 2 hits in every game so far. Batting .444 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He's making a statement.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2839
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread
Sun May 09, 2021 6:55 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Kelenic has had 2 hits in every game so far. Batting .444 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. He's making a statement.

    Also a 1.278 OPS, and 2 stolen bases.

    He’s making the M’s front office - ownership look like the fools they are for him not making the club out of Spring Training.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34052
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


PreviousNext


It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 5:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests