March Madness!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
My favorite sports event is back! It's been 2 years since our last tournament and I'm excited to root for underdogs and watch some great games.
Who do you guys like as possible dark horses and who is your favorite to win it all?
I'm a zag fan so no secret who I think will win.

Feel free to make this a tourney thread and maybe a game day thread as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper but I pretty much hate this time of year sports wise.
Hate March madness and how it’s overhyped as hell. Hate the Masters. Back when I listened to sports radio this was the month I took off from listening. I do not care about anyone’s bracket.

But then again I’m not a college BB or golf fan.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2uznamzn said:
Not to be a party pooper but I pretty much hate this time of year sports wise.
Hate March madness and how it’s overhyped as hell. Hate the Masters. Back when I listened to sports radio this was the month I took off from listening. I do not care about anyone’s bracket.

But then again I’m not a college BB or golf fan.

March Madness is the only basketball I care about. The NBA can sit and spin for all I care.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
To each their own. I grew up listening to the Zags before they ever even made the tourney. Their elite eight run was INCREDIBLE! Just watched them with my son these last couple of nights.
I remember as a teen listening to ESPN and getting to hear the zags talked about on national radio shows for the first time!
Getting to watch programs and players on the big stage is a lot of fun.
I watch the first weekend from morning to evening and love every minute of it.

The whole event is fun but it is dissapointing the fans will not be there for the most part this year.
I love the excitement of the crowds and the energy it brings.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Drake gets their first tourney win in 50 years with a great finish!
Down all game long and hit their shots at the end to pull out a 1 point victory over Wichita state.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If you don’t like March Madness probably just means you don’t like basketball. Not sure if I’ve met a hoops fan that doesn’t like March Madness. I think it’s the best sporting event.

I have Liberty to the Sweet 16. Going to take either UConn or Texas to the final four from that region. UConn is really good, they played half their season without one of the best players in college basketball. With him healthy they probably finish closer to a 4 seed. Texas is loaded with talent and have great guard play.

I have Illinois winning the championship, because I know most brackets will have Gonzaga. Gonzaga’s path is probably easier than Illinois to the final four, but if they play each other in the championship game I think Illinois matches up nicely.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Illinois would be a tough matchup for GU. Mainly because Ballo did not develop as hoped this year and GU is thin in the front court.
Liberty is not someone I know anything about. Do you like them or just their match ups?

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
UCLA and MSU going to the wire. Good set of games today!

Edit: going to overtime tied at 77. Not a fan of Cronin but he has UCLA playing harder and with better D than I have seen them play in a while.

And UCLA comes up big in overtime. Lots of dismissing of the Pac 12 (and probably deservedly so) but the Pac gets a win over the mighty big ten team.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":8asf7hk6 said:
Illinois would be a tough matchup for GU. Mainly because Ballo did not develop as hoped this year and GU is thin in the front court.
Liberty is not someone I know anything about. Do you like them or just their match ups?

Liberty has dominated their conference for a while now. They won a game in the last March Madness and this team is suppose to be better. I’m usually off on my brackets but I like choosing upsets.

Yeah all the games today were great. Three of them went down to the wire. I think there were maybe two close and exciting NFL playoff games this season. Always felt like NFL was great regular season and snooze fest for the most part in playoffs. College basketball is the opposite, fairly boring regular season but must watch once it gets to the post season tourneys.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I had never thought of it that way but your kind of right. Especially the super bowl which is so often not really interesting. Kind of a let down.
Whereas with the tourney you can always find an interesting game going.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
More good games today! Currently watching Oral Roberts taking Ohio State to overtime.

Edit: Oral Roberts with the win in overtime! Big Ten not showing out great so far after being the best conference all year.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Eastern Washington jumps out to 9 point lead on Kansas! Would love to see the Eagles pull an upset here!
Eags up 8 at half! Could have been 10 but they missed a runner to close out the half. Grove brothers playing great!

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The first round didn't lack for upsets.15 seed Abilene Christian upsets number 2 Texas on free throws with 1.2 seconds left down 1. Two 2 seeds upset in the first round this year.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Man I really wanted to watch this game! Anywhere you can watch a replay? I had picked them to upset Illinois in my bracket. The committee did them no favors having them as an 8 seed. Really good team.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Big 10 looking pretty overrated at this point. Not saying they are not one of the top conferences but the separation is not there.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Maulbert":32vqyivv said:
Oral Roberts upset Florida. Only the second 15 seed to ever reach the sweet sixteen, after Florida Gulf Coast in 2013.
I remember that team. Really athletic and fun to watch.
The Beavers looking really good against Oklahoma state tonight. Up 14 at the half.
Pac 12 is showing strong so far in this tourney. ACC and Big 10 especially really struggling.

Edit: Oregon state falling apart early second half. Look like a completely different team.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pac-12 telling the nation to put some respect on our name! Oregon state finished with a 10 point win after a strong comeback attempt by Oklahoma st.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Good win for the Beavers but man they looked ragged in the second half. Made a lot of really head scratching plays. Pulled it out though so good for them.