University District bar suing NHL’s Seattle Kraken

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
safe_image.php

SEATTLE — A University District punk rock bar, called The Kraken Bar & Lounge, is suing Seattle’s new hockey team for $3.5 million, alleging the organization is harming its brand.

In the lawsuit, the bar stated the name has caused confusion.

According to court documents filed Thursday afternoon, it claims some people think the bar is team sponsored, adding this is hurting a brand which it’s been building since 2011.

The lawsuit claims that when Seattle Hockey Partners announced it would call its hockey team the Seattle Kraken, the bar started getting new patrons visiting the bar in hockey-themed clothing and suggest the bar “could or would become their new ‘hockey bar.’”

It also stated in the papers, that “The Kraken Bar would or should become a ‘hockey bar’ or a sports bar of any kind was anathema to The Kraken Bar and its regular patrons.”

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/univer ... x49N0UFYhM

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1fmv0m56 said:
safe_image.php

SEATTLE — A University District punk rock bar, called The Kraken Bar & Lounge, is suing Seattle’s new hockey team for $3.5 million, alleging the organization is harming its brand.

According to court documents filed Thursday afternoon, it claims some people think the bar is team sponsored, adding this is hurting a brand which it’s been building since 2011.

The lawsuit claims that when Seattle Hockey Partners announced it would call its hockey team the Seattle Kraken, the bar started getting new patrons visiting the bar in hockey-themed clothing and suggest the bar “could or would become their new ‘hockey bar.’”

It also stated in the papers, that “The Kraken Bar would or should become a ‘hockey bar’ or a sports bar of any kind was anathema to The Kraken Bar and its regular patrons.”

Clowns.

They could have used this situation to make money instead of lose money.

I hope they go T’s up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2083sosx said:
KitsapGuy":2083sosx said:
safe_image.php

Clowns.

They could have used this situation to make money instead of lose money.

I hope they go T’s up.

Money grab during Covid, they have a year plus to do this since the name announcement.

They should be happy as shit that it brings in customers ahead of the Hockey Season and capitalize on it.

Many places have closed and won't re open during Covid.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Then a couple of weeks ago, the people behind the hockey team announced it’s planning to open a restaurant called “The Kraken Bar & Grill” at the Northgate training facility just over 3 miles away.

“It didn’t feel real. We saw this and we were like no way — it’s exactly the same. It’s exactly the same!” Colley said.

That pushed the owners of the dive bar to file a lawsuit.

The suit says the owners poured their life savings into building the brand of the Kraken Bar and Lounge, including merchandise and advertising.

“You feel forgotten, you feel stomped on and to have your friends and family in the community come up and stand there with you and say this isn’t right — you’re our original Kraken — it’s gotten us through and makes us feel seen,” Colley said.

However, the lawsuit is already bringing backlash from some hockey fans, prompting some to leave negative reviews.

“You share the same name as a future hockey team in the city and instead of embracing the free marketing you choice to sue them. I will never go to your bar as a hockey fan And season ticket holder,” wrote Rob D. on Yelp.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
In the statement to KIRO 7, Lance Lopes, the Seattle Kraken executive vice president and general counsel wrote, “When we were made aware of the objection to the name, we started making plans to rebrand the future bar and grill. We pride ourselves on being advocates for our community—especially small businesses— and will no longer use the name Kraken Bar and Grill. We look forward to announcing the restaurant’s new name in the near future. We salute the mission of the Kraken Bar and Lounge and wish them well in the future.”

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/kraken ... Tz3mcZsYBk

Threedee

Reaction score
It's hockey, so, I guess this bar can expect an uptick in brawls. They could offset it by cashing in on the name association by proclaiming themselves the official fan hangout. Isn't there a bar right across the street from T-Mobile that does this?

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":1jazsayn said:
The team should change it's name, before it's too late.

Because, again, Kraken is a STUPID ASS name.

KRAK EN, KRAK...EN,

sing it with me.

KRAK EN, Krack EN......

:twisted:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":2kn24eb9 said:
chris98251":2kn24eb9 said:
Maulbert":2kn24eb9 said:

KRAK EN, KRAK...EN,

sing it with me.

KRAK EN, Krack EN......

Enjoy being called a krakhead at the krak den.
I wasn’t a fan of the name at first but it’s grown on me.
Krakheads are crazy nuts you know, fitting IMHO.

Threedee

Reaction score
Maulbert":21rm1qf9 said:

I wanted Seattle Freeze. Still, I think many of us regarded Kraken as the second best offering, meaning, I probably won't feel the disappointment in five-ten years, thus preventing me from getting angry drunk at the Kraken, and trashing the place. I would be so disappointed if the name had been Mets, Steelhead, or Orcas, and downright pissed if it had been Totems, Suckeyes, or numerous other shitty names that were lobbied for.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Maulbert":214z39au said:
chris98251":214z39au said:
Maulbert":214z39au said:

KRAK EN, KRAK...EN,

sing it with me.

KRAK EN, Krack EN......

Who gives a shit? Doesn't matter what your name is, opposing fans are going to come up with some nickname. Totems? Scrotums. Metropolitans? Metrosexuals....etc.

I got an idea...own it. Call the fan club the Krakheads, then they can't use it against you.

Threedee

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":uxy834hg said:
Maulbert":uxy834hg said:
chris98251":uxy834hg said:
Maulbert":uxy834hg said:

KRAK EN, KRAK...EN,

sing it with me.

KRAK EN, Krack EN......

Who gives a shit? Doesn't matter what your name is, opposing fans are going to come up with some nickname. Totems? Scrotums. Metropolitans? Metrosexuals....etc.

I got an idea...own it. Call the fan club the Krakheads, then they can't use it against you.

Metrosexuals would actually be describing the city, rather than insulting it.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The owner is an old bastard. I can’t believe anyone actually goes to that shit hole to be honest.

Threedee

Reaction score
CPHawk":1d02plvn said:
The owner is an old bastard. I can’t believe anyone actually goes to that shit hole to be honest.

Some people enjoy an old krack in the wall.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maulbert":1ms12vsv said:
chris98251":1ms12vsv said:
Maulbert":1ms12vsv said:

KRAK EN, KRAK...EN,

sing it with me.

KRAK EN, Krack EN......

Looks like I picked the wrong time to stop smoking Crack.

balakoth

Reaction score
The only people who don't like the name wanted us to be the Friggen Sockeyes or Totems.. or some weak ass crap like that :p

Glad it makes them all in a tizzy

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
balakoth":rpbq2c20 said:
The only people who don't like the name wanted us to be the Friggen Sockeyes or Totems.. or some weak ass crap like that :p

I wanted the Sockeyes, but the Kraken has grown on me, so I’m not in a tizzy. :)

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1z7m26tq said:
balakoth":1z7m26tq said:

I wanted the Sockeyes, but the Kraken has grown on me, so I’m not in a tizzy. :)

I think Kraken was a lot of people's second choice.

Vesuve

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2j3x4deh said:
safe_image.php

Just an excuse to get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Hurting the brand? These numbskulls are hurting their brand by thi$. Could be a publicity stunt for all we know.

Dopes.