Tokyo Olympics

xray

Reaction score
For the 1st time in 50 years , team USA failed to earn a single medal on opening day . Hope this isn't the trend for the rest of the games .

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Moved from politics forum....

To be honest I normally love the Olympics and follow them quite closely but I havent been bothered this year at all, couldnt even tell you what events have happened or are happening. Maybe due to covid it's been out of sight, out of mind?

toffee

Reaction score
Tram USA basketball lost to France, hoping that it's a wakeup call.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team has no excuse losing to anyone, but they aren't that great. I think Durant and Lillard are probably the only two top 10 NBA players on the team. A lot of the team is made up of fringe all star guys.

toffee

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":236y0ahr said:
This team has no excuse losing to anyone, but they aren't that great. I think Durant and Lillard are probably the only two top 10 NBA players on the team. A lot of the team is made up of fringe all star guys.
They also lost back to back warmup games,

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching them yesterday. Those young women on the balance beam and uneven bars scare me. How the hell do they do that?

Skateboarding was boring, but the men's relay swim was fun to watch.

knownone

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":yws6hhgk said:
I don't think top-end talent is the issue. They don't have a creative force on offense, and the bulk of the roster is full of guys who excel at ISO and midrange scoring. They can easily win with that formula, but they'll need to play team-oriented defense because a single off night from Durrant or Lillard could lose them the game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
knownone":cpi7qcxl said:
Hawk-Lock":cpi7qcxl said:
I don't think top-end talent is the issue. They don't have a creative force on offense, and the bulk of the roster is full of guys who excel at ISO and midrange scoring. They can easily win with that formula, but they'll need to play team-oriented defense because a single off night from Durrant or Lillard could lose them the game.

Basically, the 2004 team that won Bronze.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’ve always loved the Olympics and followed closely.

I’ve always considered the Olympics to be of the most patriotic things our country participated in.

The current climate with athletes protesting our country on the Olympic stage has ruined the Olympics for me.

Kneeling and turning back to the flag etc.

I’ve watched less than an hour of coverage this time around.

The Olympics is absolutely about representation of your country on a world stage, if you don’t want to represent….
…..step away and let someone that cares have the spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":1wlsbiwo said:
I’ve always loved the Olympics and followed closely.

I’ve always considered the Olympics to be of the most patriotic things our country participated in.

The current climate with athletes protesting our country on the Olympic stage has ruined the Olympics for me.

Kneeling and turning back to the flag etc.

I’ve watched less than an hour of coverage this time around.

The Olympics is absolutely about representation of your country on a world stage, if you don’t want to represent….
…..step away and let someone that cares have the spot.

Guess you didn't like the 38 Olympics nor the 68 Olympics either.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
The "38" Olympics were actually held in 1936. Just fyi.

And Jesse Owens is *exactly* the athlete Pmed is talking about: Proud to represent and love his country.

We need more Jesse Owens and less bitter, pink-haired dudes losing to Canada.

chris98251

Reaction score
Madrid Hawk":1cwiygge said:
The "38" Olympics were actually held in 1936. Just fyi.

And Jesse Owens is *exactly* the athlete Pmed is talking about: Proud to represent and love his country.

We need more Jesse Owens and less bitter, pink-haired dudes losing to Canada.

This wasn't concerning Spain Mr Madrid, or Magoo which ever you want to be looked at, Owens was on a stage where Arain Supremacy was being spread all over Europe by the Nazi's and Hitler and stood up as a athlete and proved the Third Reich wrong on a stage that doesn't get any bigger. His accomplishments was almost the same as a full Air Force Bombardment on a Major City and greatly influenced the mindset of those supporting Hitler. The fact the Games were also in Germany made it that much more impactful.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
You do realize that Franco and his Spain was a major ally of Hitler and would have been involved in WWII if it hadn't been for a little thing called the Spanish Civil War, right Mr. Chris? Or maybe you don't.

And thank you for the history lesson, but we all already knew all of that.

Including the "1936" part.

Jesse Owens is a credit to his race: the Human Race. Amazing human being, who stood proudly, honored the flag, and loved his country.

chris98251

Reaction score
Madrid Hawk":167xlo75 said:
You do realize that Franco and his Spain was a major ally of Hitler and would have been involved in WWII if it hadn't been for a little thing called the Spanish Civil War, right Mr. Chris? Or maybe you don't.

Jesse Owens is a credit to his race: the Human Race. Amazing human being, who stood proudly, honored the flag, and loved his country.

Well you interjected yourself in a reply to Pmedic about it just being Patriotism, those two Olympics was about Racism, Politics and social injustice as well. Now go back to trying to do what you do.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":2httlh2s said:
Madrid Hawk":2httlh2s said:
You do realize that Franco and his Spain was a major ally of h!tler and would have been involved in WWII if it hadn't been for a little thing called the Spanish Civil War, right Mr. Chris? Or maybe you don't.

Well you interjected yourself in a reply to Pmedic about it just being Patriotism, those two Olympics was about Racism, Politics and social injustice as well. Now go back to trying to do what you do.
Ok, if it’s your opinion that the Olympics is an appropriate place to protest your own country, your absolutely entitled to it, it also says much more about you than it does me that I don’t see it that way.

How bout you go on to elaborate on how you don’t see the Olympics as a world stage to REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1prcj6rd said:
For what its worth I completely agree Pmedic.
Don’t get me wrong here, there’s tons of stuff worth protesting in the current climate of the USA, I don’t begrudge anyone that.

My point is that the Olympics is a place to represent your Country, my opinion is, if you can’t for whatever reason represent your country at the Olympics step TF away and let someone that wants to do it have the spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":2eht4pc7 said:
Natethegreat":2eht4pc7 said:
Don’t get me wrong here, there’s tons of stuff worth protesting in the current climate of the USA, I don’t begrudge anyone that.

My point is that the Olympics is a place to represent your Country, my opinion is, if you can’t for whatever reason represent your country at the Olympics step TF away and let someone that wants to do it have the spot.

We have seen Munich, we have seen Hitler try to use the games as a political platform, we have seen several countries use references in displays and demonstrations for awareness of issues or issues against countries, or simply not allow a country to participate for a given reason.

The Games of Greece and the intentions to put world issues aside has past us, everything is about an agenda of sorts.

Games to see who the best is for a moment of peace and a moment of togetherness to celebrate these athletes does need to be brought back to what it was supposed to be.

But that is not reality at this time.

Kind of like saying we are suppose to be the United States, we have never been more divided. That includes the time of the Civil war I think also. Close but I think we are more so now.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":k8otcj78 said:
pmedic920":k8otcj78 said:
Natethegreat":k8otcj78 said:

We have seen Munich, we have seen h!tler try to use the games as a political platform, we have seen several countries use references in displays and demonstrations for awareness of issues or issues against countries, or simply not allow a country to participate for a given reason.

The Games of Greece and the intentions to put world issues aside has past us, everything is about an agenda of sorts.

Games to see who the best is for a moment of peace and a moment of togetherness to celebrate these athletes does need to be brought back to what it was supposed to be.

But that is not reality at this time.

Kind of like saying we are suppose to be the United States, we have never been more divided. That includes the time of the Civil war I think also. Close but I think we are more so now.
Uh ok?

I’m not even sure we are talking about the same thing.