Mariners' One-Run Magic Has Them Firmly in Postseason Conten

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mariners' One-Run Magic Has Them Firmly in Postseason Contention

Seattle's success despite its negative run differential is a statistical anomaly. But then again, so is a playoff drought that’s nearly old enough to drink.

The Mariners’ 4–2 win over the Rays on Tuesday night was downright boring by their standards: There was no late-inning comeback or tightrope-walking by the bullpen, and the two-run margin of victory qualified as a blowout compared to how the 2021 season has progressed thus far. A few more ho-hum wins like that, though, and Seattle could find itself in a position it hasn’t occupied in a great many years: smack-dab in the middle of the playoff picture.

The Mariners have not made the postseason since 2001, earning them the dubious distinction of having the longest active postseason drought in major North American sports. In the 19 years between Seattle’s last playoff appearance and this year, the team has had a dozen losing seasons, including a pair of 101-loss campaigns in '08 and '10.

Every other club has made the playoffs at least twice in that span, and 27 have reached the postseason at least three times. Thirteen different teams have won a World Series championship and none have gone back-to-back. In an era of true parity, the Mariners are time and time again the ones left standing without a chair when the music stops playing.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/08/04/marin ... the-opener

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Mariners are not making the playoffs. Weird time to post this as they have completely fallen apart the last couple weeks. 5.5 games back with a couple teams ahead of them as well. I think whoever gets the second wild card will be about 20 games over .500. My guess is the Mariners finish at about 81 wins.

chris98251

Reaction score
The only longer run of futility is this one that I can grab off the top of my head.

Tenor

Vesuve

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":7beic2o9 said:
Mariners are not making the playoffs. Weird time to post this as they have completely fallen apart the last couple weeks. 5.5 games back with a couple teams ahead of them as well.

How many times have we heard this "playoff"....I mean "Wild Card" talk?

Mathematcially in it but other 3-4 other teams are the contenders, IMO.

Next year, win the AL West and let Dip show results of his plan. Next year will be his and his sidekicks' 7th year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Vesuve":3d6vsd9m said:
Hawk-Lock":3d6vsd9m said:
Mariners are not making the playoffs. Weird time to post this as they have completely fallen apart the last couple weeks. 5.5 games back with a couple teams ahead of them as well.

How many times have we heard this "playoff"....I mean "Wild Card" talk?

Mathematcially in it but other 3-4 other teams are the contenders, IMO.

Next year, win the AL West and let Dip show results of his plan. Next year will be his and his sidekicks' 7th year.
Yep, next year is a put up or shut up year for the FO a and ownership.
Failing in trades and free agency is not acceptable. The “We tried” (but failed) is not going to cut it anymore.

These guys have painted themselves into a corner.

They say they will be players in FA, but....
I don’t see them outbidding the yankees, Mets, Red Sox, dodgers, SD, LAA etc in free agency for top talent.