Kraken 2021-2022 Season

Threedee

Reaction score
Less than half way through the first period, and they're already down 2-0 to Lost Wages. Here's to slow starts!

chris98251

Reaction score
Threedee":2r0gbv7x said:
Less than half way through the first period, and they're already down 2-0 to Lost Wages. Here's to slow starts!

Need to Fire Pete.......... :)

I will be watching and trying to learn the game better, enjoyed Olympic Hockey a lot, I know that game is different but the Pro game is now also, not the game of the 80's or so when I was peeking at it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That was a really enjoyable first game. I thought they got hit in the mouth early but weathered the storm well. I’m not a hockey guy, should that last goal by Vegas counted, it kind of looked like he kicked it in.

OP
OP
Threedee

Threedee

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":99p4yhsl said:
That was a really enjoyable first game. I thought they got hit in the mouth early but weathered the storm well. I’m not a hockey guy, should that last goal by Vegas counted, it kind of looked like he kicked it in.

You're allowed to do that, from what I've seen.

sutz

Reaction score
Threedee":29xrxlrj said:
Hawk-Lock":29xrxlrj said:

I think it's kind of like soccer. If it goes in the net it counts as a score, doesn't really matter how it gets there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":397i7vpw said:
Threedee":397i7vpw said:
Hawk-Lock":397i7vpw said:

I think it's kind of like soccer. If it goes in the net it counts as a score, doesn't really matter how it gets there.
It’s a dumb rule it shouldn’t have counted.
Impressed by the way they came back, not impressed with the sloppy defense early.
Failure to clear the puck out of their zone cost them the 2nd and 3rd Vegas goals.
Hitting the top bar of the net early was just bad luck.

Good news is they played with a CUP contender, despite being down a few players.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Despite debut loss, Seattle Kraken look like a team that will win fans over

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1448134767388495872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1448146610785906688[/tweet]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Geekie, who scored one of the goals, said his team was nervous early on.

“Yeah, definitely, 100 percent,” he said. “Obviously, you come into Vegas and it’s a spectacular city and they put on quite a show.”

Vegas captain Mark Stone, who had three assists, sent a pass to the crease where it appeared Stephenson may have kicked the puck past Seattle goaltender Phillip Grubauer. After an official review, the goal was held up.

“I know what I saw and believed … I thought it was a kicking motion,” Seattle coach Dave Hakstol said. “There’s a gray area on those calls. Their decision was it’s a good goal.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1517398/ ... le-kraken/

Ruminator

Reaction score
When we were trailing 0-3, my thought was "please, can we score just one lousy goal before the final buzzer?" Then we tied it up. So that, and the various positives we saw despite certain things that still need work, made me happy for our first-ever game. It also clearly showed that we're going to win our share of games this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ruminator":2mogk02z said:
When we were trailing 0-3, my thought was "please, can we score just one lousy goal before the final buzzer?" Then we tied it up. So that, and the various positives we saw despite certain things that still need work, made me happy for our first-ever game. It also clearly showed that we're going to win our share of games this season.
Agree.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan -- I feel like I'm just wound too damn tight. Every loss is so irritating and we analyze things to death. Being a part of .Net all these years probably doesn't help.

Watching the Kraken, I was able to just enjoy the game, appreciate the athletes, turn it off and then sleep soundly. I could root for the team, but not let it wreck my soul.

Crazy, right?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":saa4ykai said:
As a Seahawks fan -- I feel like I'm just wound too damn tight. Every loss is so irritating and we analyze things to death. Being a part of .Net all these years probably doesn't help.

Watching the Kraken, I was able to just enjoy the game, appreciate the athletes, turn it off and then sleep soundly. I could root for the team, but not let it wreck my soul.

Crazy, right?
Not Crazy at all. I feel the exact same way.
While I feel they could have won it or at least had it gone into OT (and gotten a point) with a break here or there,
they fought hard until the end.

That goal that Geekie had was amazing.

As a new NHL fan I’m still learning the nuances of the NHL game.

OP
OP
Threedee

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1e6m84ty said:
Impressed with my the way they came back, not impressed with the sloppy defense early.
Failure to clear the puck out of their zone cost them the 2nd and 3rd Vegas goals.

Good news is they played with a CUP contender, despite being down a few players.

That was how I saw it, as well. Turning the puck over right in front of your goal is a killer.

balakoth

Reaction score
I wanted to be excited... But honestly having a hard time staying interested for a long period of time in the game. I understand the rules, but... I don't know?

Any suggestions on how to better enjoy it?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Kraken win!!! 4-3!!!!! First win in franchise history!!!!
Wooooooo!

WTG fellas! :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :vodka:

KinesProf

Reaction score
balakoth":72gs3d12 said:
I wanted to be excited... But honestly having a hard time staying interested for a long period of time in the game. I understand the rules, but... I don't know?

Take some elements of football that we all enjoy: speed, physicality, intensity, a little violence, unreal feats of athleticism, and an organically developed dislike of some opponents. Then make the pace of play continuous flow; instead of a couple seconds on /half a minute off like football or baseball.

Give it time and you'll come to better understand the rules and nuance. If it helps, these guys are the best citizens of the big 4 North American team sports.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KinesProf":3ebdbghl said:
balakoth":3ebdbghl said:

Take some elements of football that we all enjoy: speed, physicality, intensity, a little violence, unreal feats of athleticism, and an organically developed dislike of some opponents. Then make the pace of play continuous flow; instead of a couple seconds on /half a minute off like football or baseball.

Give it time and you'll come to better understand the rules and nuance. If it helps, these guys are the best citizens of the big 4 North American team sports.
Great post! :2thumbs:
As an NHL newbie I seeing things I already enjoy about the game and a couple I don’t.

The biggest and maybe the silliest one for me to get used to is the 2 intermissions.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm almost surprised at how much I've gotten into the NHL since Seattle was awarded the 32nd franchise. Hockey has things no other sport has. While it's a unique sport with rules all its own, skates on ice is the one attribute that really sets it apart. After decades of watching sports involving feet pounding on grass and on hardwood, watching players glide like a dream in their synergetic puck-passing and defending 5-on-5 display of graceful moves and brute force has me quite rapt.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":h5zqp99u said:
sutz":h5zqp99u said:
Threedee":h5zqp99u said:
Hawk-Lock":h5zqp99u said:

Impressed by the way they came back, not impressed with the sloppy defense early.

From what they were saying, if it deflects off the skate it counts but if it is kicked towards the goal it shouldn't. It certainly looked like he kicked towards the goal to me.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
KinesProf":1qkbd3ns said:
balakoth":1qkbd3ns said:

I used to go to Thunderbird games all the time in the late 80's/early 90's when they were good for 4-5 fights per game. It wasn't just the fighting but the Thunderbirds were a hard-hitting physical team during the time. Really happy to see some of that in the Kraken. I laughed more than once when the announcers made the Smashville reference because the Kraken certainly appeared to be the more physical team.