Mariners 21-22 offseason thread...

sutz

Reaction score
Might as well start. The winter meetings are just a few weeks away.

The first off season move:

Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. joins Seattle Mariners' ownership group

The “Kid” who helped make baseball cool, the All-Star center fielder who helped keep baseball in Seattle, the Hall of Famer who has a statue of his oft-imitated swing in front of T-Mobile Park will now be something more than an icon and special consultant to the franchise he made recognizable.

On Monday, Mariners chairman John Stanton announced that Ken Griffey Jr. has become part of the franchise’s ownership group.

“On behalf of all of the partners, I want to welcome Ken,” Stanton said in a team statement Monday morning. “Ken has been an icon of our franchise, on and off the field, for over three decades and we are thrilled that he is joining us as a partner. His knowledge of the game, love of the Mariner fans, his experiences as a player, his passion for community service and his desire to help grow our sport will be a welcome, and invaluable, additional voice.”

“As I said in my Hall of Fame speech, I’m very proud to be a Seattle Mariner,” Griffey said in a statement. “I’m excited for this incredible opportunity to join John and the rest of the Mariners partnership group. This is a dream come true because of the relationship I’ve always had with the team, its fans and the city of Seattle. I view this as another way to continue to give back to an organization and community that has always supported me and my family. I’m looking forward to continuing to contribute to this organization’s success in any way possible.”
https://images.seattletimes.com/wp-cont ... d=1020x632

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":3r384v9b said:
Might as well start. The winter meetings are just a few weeks away.

The first off season move:

Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. joins Seattle Mariners' ownership group

The “Kid” who helped make baseball cool, the All-Star center fielder who helped keep baseball in Seattle, the Hall of Famer who has a statue of his oft-imitated swing in front of T-Mobile Park will now be something more than an icon and special consultant to the franchise he made recognizable.

On Monday, Mariners chairman John Stanton announced that Ken Griffey Jr. has become part of the franchise’s ownership group.

“On behalf of all of the partners, I want to welcome Ken,” Stanton said in a team statement Monday morning. “Ken has been an icon of our franchise, on and off the field, for over three decades and we are thrilled that he is joining us as a partner. His knowledge of the game, love of the Mariner fans, his experiences as a player, his passion for community service and his desire to help grow our sport will be a welcome, and invaluable, additional voice.”

“As I said in my Hall of Fame speech, I’m very proud to be a Seattle Mariner,” Griffey said in a statement. “I’m excited for this incredible opportunity to join John and the rest of the Mariners partnership group. This is a dream come true because of the relationship I’ve always had with the team, its fans and the city of Seattle. I view this as another way to continue to give back to an organization and community that has always supported me and my family. I’m looking forward to continuing to contribute to this organization’s success in any way possible.”
https://images.seattletimes.com/wp-cont ... d=1020x632

Nice, I still don't forgive him for leaving.

balakoth

Reaction score
You don't forgive him for being traded? Interesting.. He literally vetoed the first one and said he'd only play for the reds or us... But yeah... Griffey didn't leave... we sent him away

Bobblehead

Reaction score
balakoth":1edq1jbl said:
You don't forgive him for being traded? Interesting.. He literally vetoed the first one and said he'd only play for the reds or us... But yeah... Griffey didn't leave... we sent him away

You said, it, he put the M's in a no win situation.. reds, or I walk and go to the Reds and you get nothing. Yeah, He F'd us.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2fgo711v said:
balakoth":2fgo711v said:

You said, it, he put the M's in a no win situation.. reds, or I walk and go to the Reds and you get nothing. Yeah, He F'd us.
Not sure he F’ed us. Handcuffed them, maybe. They won 116 games the next year and we got Cameron, who is no Junior (no one is) but he was a good player. He told Seattle he wanted to play closer to home (Florida) when they tried to extend him. He told them a year early because he wanted them to get something in return instead of having him walk in a year and getting nothing. Not saying Junior is perfect, he’s not, but there is a video that tells his side of the story and while we as M’s fans hated losing a legit HOF player, his reasoning made sense at the time.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Bauers outrighted to Tacoma.

https://sodomojo.com/2021/10/27/jake-ba ... -mariners/

What Jake Bauers Being Outrighted Means for the Mariners

On Wednesday afternoon, October 26, the Seattle Mariners outrighted first baseman/left fielder Jake Bauers to AAA Tacoma after clearing waivers. This takes Bauers off of the 40 man roster and frees up additional space for Seattle to make moves this offseason. Bauers was acquired from the Cleveland Indians in July.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoeDoyleMiLB/status/1453442268673691651[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":yng6b9oe said:

On Wednesday afternoon, October 26, the Seattle Mariners outrighted first baseman/left fielder Jake Bauers to AAA Tacoma after clearing waivers. This takes Bauers off of the 40 man roster and frees up additional space for Seattle to make moves this offseason. Bauers was acquired from the Cleveland Indians in July.

Hopefully they are using that spot on the 40 man for Julio.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3d315jh9 said:
sutz":3d315jh9 said:

Julio is a next year question. I want to see how he does in spring and at least 2-3 months in Tacoma. None of this 5 games and he ready BS.

I assume any room on the 40 is for trades/deals this fall/winter. They promised us some movement there. Let's see them deliver. Jerry has some work to do.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2rad02m8 said:
Sports Hernia":2rad02m8 said:
sutz":2rad02m8 said:

Julio is a next year question. I want to see how he does in spring and at least 2-3 months in Tacoma. None of this 5 games and he ready BS.

I assume any room on the 40 is for trades/deals this fall/winter. They promised us some movement there. Let's see them deliver. Jerry has some work to do.
I respectfully disagree. IMHO as long as he doesn’t have a disastrous spring he needs to be up from the start.
Don’t dick him around with arbitration games like they did Kelenic last year.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
And they still brought Kelenic up too early and he stepped on his dick. So let's do a repeat, again. :34853_doh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":29h7bk3c said:
And they still brought Kelenic up too early and he stepped on his dick. So let's do a repeat, again. :34853_doh:
I think them not bringing him up from the start led to his huge slump.
Young confident guy, that never struggled at any level, with a big ego, leads the team in OPS in spring training and then doesn’t make the team? That has to mess with your head.

Not bringing up JK wasn’t because he wasn’t ready, it was all about delaying the start of his arbitration clock, Kevin Mather leaked that out.

I think even though he is younger than JK, J-rod is more mature at this point and likely more talented than JK.

I Also remember a 19 year old on April 3, 1989 make his MLB a debut.
He did alright and ended up in the HOF.

Was it wrong to bring him up to the bigs as a teenager?

I don’t think you can make an blanket argument saying a player is too young at “X”age, I think it matters on the individual.

Threedee

Reaction score
It's hard to say when/if guys are brought up too early. We saw so many players—like Ackley and Miller—bomb in our system. The fact that Taylor, Smoak, and (somewhat) Zunino have all worked out on other teams suggests that our player development was garbage, and it wasn't about being called up too soon.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":9ntw50a1 said:
It's hard to say when/if guys are brought up too early. We saw so many players—like Ackley and Miller—bomb in our system. The fact that Taylor, Smoak, and (somewhat) Zunino have all worked out on other teams suggests that our player development was garbage, and it wasn't about being called up too soon.
Kyle Lewis is another brought up “early” and had success other than staying healthy.
Not making excuses for the M’s player development over the years, as it’s been crap mostly.

Sometimes talent overcomes shitty player development.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seattle Mariners: Pursuing SP Kevin Gausman in Free Agency
https://sodomojo.com/2021/10/31/mariners-kevin-gausman-free-agency/

Looks like they're targeting Gausman to bluster the rotation. Idk if he's worth the 5 years 120m they're speculating it'll take to bring him in though? He's a solid veteran but he's not an Ace and he's a RHP. They seem to have plenty of RHP starters. Not sure Gausman is a wise investment.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":mzy7ujyt said:
Seattle Mariners: Pursuing SP Kevin Gausman in Free Agency
https://sodomojo.com/2021/10/31/mariners-kevin-gausman-free-agency/

Looks like they're targeting Gausman to bluster the rotation. Idk if he's worth the 5 years 120m they're speculating it'll take to bring him in though? He's a solid veteran but he's not an Ace and he's a RHP. They seem to have plenty of RHP starters. Not sure Gausman is a wise investment.
They need to aim higher. If it’s Gausman plus a Scherzer type then you have my attention.
Also would like them to pick up a stud 3rd baseman.

PS. Just looked at Gausman’s numbers, they are much better than I thought.
Yes, get him. Still think they will need to add another stud starter though.

We will see how “serious” the M’s are about winning by the moves they make this offseason.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My biggest fear with the Braves winning the WS is that Seattle’s ownership thinks “we’re good” and don’t have to spend $$$ this off-season because our 90 wins were 2 more that Atlanta and they won the World Series. That would be so “Mariner”.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1xec18h1 said:
My biggest fear with the Braves winning the WS is that Seattle’s ownership thinks “we’re good” and don’t have to spend $$$ this off-season because our 90 wins were 2 more that Atlanta and they won the World Series. That would be so “Mariner”.
I don't see it with the 'Stros in our division. They haven't slowed down much.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2135txj5 said:

Seriously doubt it. They would have to be pretty delusional to think that.

I'm pretty sure they are aware that we are in the A.L., and in the A.L., 90 wins isn't likely to cut it with the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays all in the same league.

The Astros aren't likely to be much worse and are still a very, very good team, the A's were ahead of us in the division for most of the season and we're probably not going to win 11 straight against them again, and the Angels are probably going to be much better with Trout and Rendon back from injury.

Which means, we would either need to win what looks like a strong division that will almost certainly take more than 90 wins to win, or we would need to beat out an incredibly strong group of teams for one of the wildcards. I don't think either of those things seem very likely without some improvement.

On top of all that, the Mariners definitely overachieved this season and IMO aren't very likely to win 90 games again with a lineup that consists of 4-5 guys hitting around, or below .200 every night. Not in this league.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Chapow":14lfc23m said:
Sports Hernia":14lfc23m said:

Seriously doubt it. They would have to be pretty delusional to think that.

I'm pretty sure they are aware that we are in the A.L., and in the A.L., 90 wins isn't likely to cut it with the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays all in the same league.

The Astros aren't likely to be much worse and are still a very, very good team, the A's were ahead of us in the division for most of the season and we're probably not going to win 11 straight against them again, and the Angels are probably going to be much better with Trout and Rendon back from injury.

Which means, we would either need to win what looks like a strong division that will almost certainly take more than 90 wins to win, or we would need to beat out an incredibly strong group of teams for one of the wildcards. I don't think either of those things seem very likely without some improvement.

On top of all that, the Mariners definitely overachieved this season and IMO aren't very likely to win 90 games again with a lineup that consists of 4-5 guys hitting around, or below .200 every night. Not in this league.
I 100% agree with your last sentence.
I hope y’all are right. ….but I can see this ownership group slipping back into their default mode.
Would love to be proven wrong.

balakoth

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xtggmba said:

Serious question for you

Why does everyone keep passing over Toro... Third is his natural position, isn't he a pretty decent candidate to start there vs spending money on one?