Who should I take?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ok need your help here guys...

I'm in a keeper league with a twist. 16 fans from 16 teams all signed up, and we had to from the off select one player from our own teams roster to 'keep'. I chose TJ Housh, which apparently gave me the 2nd overall pick (obviously not high on TJ!).

I've drafted Fitzgerald and Aaron Rodgers so far in rounds 1&2.

Obviously I'm in serious need of a RB. However, most good ones went in the territorial picks before the draft began. So, I'm now left with this choice:

-Do I just take a RB (the best three left are Ryan Grant, Chris Wells and Derrick Ward)?

OR

-Do I take another WR and make the most of having three great WR's and just 'see what happens' with RB's later on and hope to hit? The receivers available include Brandon Marshall, T.O., Vincent Jackson, Eddie Royal.

Any advice appreciated.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
i would take wells, and then in the next round if grant is availible take him then, obvisously i have no idea who is left, but take wells, then look for guys like benson, pierre thomas and slaton, or felix jones in the next if any are availible... any of those should give you a nice combo

Puntillaphile

Reaction score
You're gonna need some RB's. I've never been in a league where a guy tried to stack up on good WR's and actually won.

Puntillaphile

Reaction score
sainthawk29":12lz81f2 said:
i would take wells, and then in the next round if grant is availible take him then, obvisously i have no idea who is left, but take wells, then look for guys like benson, pierre thomas and slaton, or felix jones in the next if any are availible... any of those should give you a nice combo

I wouldn't take Wells. AZ is a VERY pass heavy team w/ a not so good running game. Also Wells will probably have Hightower stealing short yardage carries again.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's a PPR so receivers have some value. But you're right, I can't afford to abandon the RB position completely.

It was a weird draft in fairness. Most of the teams took their best RB before the 'draft' began. I took Housh because I just felt he was a safer or perhaps more productive choice (especially in PPR) than Julius Jones. Taking Wells in R3 is clearly less of a risk if you have Adrian Peterson or Matt Forte already stashed before the draft began.

It is a keeper league so I've kind of decided that I'm going to play it by ear and build towards the future. That's one of the reasons why I took Fitzgerald - I just figured I'd rather handcuff him for the rest of his career if possible than take someone like Michael Turner (who was available).

I ended up taking Wells. You make some very valid points Punt, but I looked at it like this... Arizona took him in round one which suggests he'll get a fair crack to start immediately. although hightower will steal some carries and TD's, Wells is big enough to be used in red zone scenarios. Their passing game should help the running game a little bit especially in midfield, allowing Wells to wrack up yards.

In a way it's possibly less of a gamble going with a Wells - a recent 1st rounder featuring in a potentially elite offense... than a Derrick Ward (unproven as a starter) or Grant (seems to lack the bite since he got paid).

It's a gamble, but unless Rodgers/Housh/Fitz set the league alite next year I'm unlikely to be challenging, so why not invest in Wells and if it works - could have a solid RB for years as a keeper.

hawksman53

Reaction score
Definately Id take Grant Although Slaton may suprise a lot of people this year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Grant had the most rushing yards in the last 6 games of the season last year according to Berry on ESPN.com, so definitely go with him.

I will admit that my jaw dropped a bit when you took Fitzgerald over Turner, though. ah well.