Tension in the Mariners front office

JKent82

Reaction score
I think you could re title this to something like "mariners front office has giant dump taken on them night before winter meets and should probably all quit." But I guess it's wordy and could be further shortened if in the shack.

Great piece by Baker and just this morning I was happy to discover he moved off the mariners blog since he usually annoys the hell out of me but this here is some serious journalism. He got a lot names connected to a lot quotes and I bet Armstrong is glad he's retiring now.

This puts big pressure on the organization going into winter meetings and could hurt them. If we're really lucky maybe the absentee ownership axes them. Well I guess you can't do i at this moment maybe. But its fun to think about and I supported Z for quite while past most people. Interested to see the response and wonder how a certain 2B feels. Well probably pretty good for 240 million reasons.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
WOW great read. Jack Z is an idiot. I wounder what Griffey says about him.

KK84

Reaction score
I wonder how such a classy, well run organization could possibly have 12 straight playoff missing years? That's a head scratcher.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Ugh, they're like the Tampa Bay Bucs of the MLB but instead of the coach that's the problem, it's the entire front office.

As much as I like Nintendo, I wish they would give the team to someone who cares about the city and would run the organization well. Not surprised with all this considering how they screwed the return of the Sonics. Just give the team to Chris Hansen.

86Hawk

Reaction score
Wow. Best article I have read in a long time. If this was in the shack I could go on and on. :229031_banghead:

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Disturbing article to say the least. Thank God for football, seahawks look unstoppable and the Huskies just made a huge upgrade with their new Head Coach.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
All I gotta say is, does this news really surprise anyone? I mean it has seemed pretty clear for the last few years that there has been dysfunction in the M's FO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2tjni3xp said:
All I gotta say is, does this news really surprise anyone? I mean it has seemed pretty clear for the last few years that there has been dysfunction in the M's FO.
When I still lived in Washington back before 2006 as a part of a class I took for a Management degree I talked with Lincoln and Armstrong in person....they are the exact reason I hope baseball dies and the reason I no longer care about the Mariners. Until Lincoln is out it won't matter what the Mariners do he's like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well not a surprise, just supports everyones thoughts, only thing thats a bit of an eye opener is how Jerry Jones they are about feeling they can beat up on people emotionally and verbally.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Throwdown":3mvcivem said:
Jesus Christ, now the Cano deal looks like desperation.
It's my primary thought but they still have time to make other moves to get another premier hitter hopefully right handed then you may intrigue me.

getnasty

Reaction score
All 3 of these idiots need to go asap, they have ruined baseball in Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":1br82rkv said:
All 3 of these idiots need to go asap, they have ruined baseball in Seattle.

We have to remember that Armstrong and Lincoln were here for the ARod-Griffey-Buhner-Martinez years. They rebuilt the team with Ichiro and won a record number of games. Inexplicably they were unable to adapt moving forward after such a tremendous job from 1991-2004 (easily our best ever "era" of baseball)

They are entrenched in a certain way of doing things (one that is passing them by...but you can see how a Cano is exactly the player they think solves everything... They just need 3 of them).

Armstrong is gone. Hopefully this article wakes ownership to a need for more change.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Assuming Baker is correct it sounds as if Z is as phony as a 3 dollar bill. They Ms to have a good team it starts at the top. The owners need to clean house ASAP.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1hkyoeho said:
Assuming Baker is correct it sounds as if Z is as phony as a 3 dollar bill. They Ms to have a good team it starts at the top. The owners need to clean house ASAP.
The "ownership" is a corporation. The only thing they're going to do is have a committee look at the profit & loss statement and if it looks acceptable then they won't do a damn thing.

sutz

Reaction score
I have found that the longer the streak of mediocrity and losing lasts, the higher up the food chain one has to go to root out the problem.

I once thought Z might be the answer. It now seems obvious he's at the root of the problem. If 'ownership' lets him continue in charge it says what they think about the Mariners.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":35nb39fl said:
Happypuppy":35nb39fl said:
The "ownership" is a corporation. The only thing they're going to do is have a committee look at the profit & loss statement and if it looks acceptable then they won't do a damn thing.

An ownership that just invested 240 million in a player isn't sitting around.

This club is at its tipping point (which is why I'm excited about Cano). No matter what Armstrong and Jack Z are now in a spotlight. No hiding... Even if it works they may (probably) won't be around to celebrate it

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I believe that most of this is true. There is smoke here about, for example, the shift to acquiring players that hit dingers. Also, Chuck and Howard have long been incompetent in GM and managerial hires.

And the sheer number of screwups in the Josh Lueke mold set a pattern of inability to properly GM for Jack Z.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1sqirxj7 said:
I believe that most of this is true. There is smoke here about, for example, the shift to acquiring players that hit dingers. Also, Chuck and Howard have long been incompetent in GM and managerial hires.

And the sheer number of screwups in the Josh Lueke mold set a pattern of inability to properly GM for Jack Z.

Its not a shift...these guys ran the team when we had 3 guys of 30+ and led the lead in homers (Tino junior and bones..with Edgar close)...they were running the show when we won 116. They bought Sexson and Beltre. The last ten years have been about diminishing return. Last three years about trusting the kids (and failing to offer appropriate support)

They like big hitting and pitching. Theyve tried to get a big hitter in here for three years and Now they have.

Key will be what's next. I'd love to see them gone. But let's not be so forgetful of who these guys are

Seriously Ms fans...

Latest posts