Romar and the Huskies

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's really frustrating watching UW basketball lately. They are so sloppy and have been for the past 2-3 seasons. They are too loose with the ball. Sloppiness can be fixed so I'm concerned that Romar is not emphasizing fundamentals of good basketball with these guys. It's just not this season and has been a trend for a few seasons now.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Tough recruiting these days. UW always gets a good PG, occasionally a good SG, but then everything else is pretty bleak.

Romar is an alright coach, but the team has been "okay" for just too long. Idk who could replace him though.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not saying he should be replaced. I'm just stating a trend I see with his teams the past several years- they've been quite sloppy. This is something that can be fixed but it doesn't seem to be. May be it has to do with players not sticking around for a while. Guys like Ross and Wroten who left early. Even then, they were sloppy handling the ball and committing turnovers. Yesterday they had a 30-21 lead at the half. Then once the 2nd half started they gave that lead in about a 1 minute and half, mostly due to sloppy play.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3g5ce3vq said:
Seattle has a great basketball scene. No reason UW can't always be competitive just based on the basketball talent here. This isn't New York or Chicago, but it's on a tier with the Bay Area.

Ehh, a lot of the top talent doesn't stay though. Washington pretty much only produces PG's & occasionally SG's where as the Bay Area have a plethora of people to work with. UW pretty much has slim to no shot with any 4*-5* recruit east of Arizona/Colorado, but may occasionally get a recruit from Texas every few years as the exception. It's a hard time for bball.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3vstlbz9 said:
I think the romar thing has run its course.

They play Street ball but that doesn't equate to wins.

I'm with this, the style is shotty now.

Tical21

Reaction score
It isn't pretty. We've got one kid that can shoot, and no bigs. And a whole bunch of 6'5" "athletes". So we're challenged scoring wise, and we are going to have a hard time keeping from being dominated in the paint.

I like the Johnson kid, and Williams-Goss at the very least looks like he plays with some fire. We're inexperienced. It is going to be sloppy until you get some upper-classmen that have been in the program for a few years. It is frustrating that we consistently get outcoached by teams like Oregon and UCLA, but I'm not going to get rid of Lorenzo until he wants to leave. He has been a godsend for our community and program, and it is going to take a lot more than a down year or two for me to forget that.

The recruiting does concern me. We're just not getting great players. I understand the high school scene has been relatively down around here for a couple years, but you just have to find a way. I don't know how we're going to score any points when CJ leaves.

chris98251

Reaction score
Romar needs to adapt his style to a more run and gun with heavy defense pressure and use the best pasing and ball handlers and shooters. They have lost all their big man recruits that did come in to other schools after a year of development.

That and big men that can run and are active are a endangered species these days, you just don't see them hardly anymore.

If I could say one thing to him I would say go back and look at UNLV tapes in the late 70's and 80's.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The only time they're good is when they have somebody like Brockman, and even then they can't take it to the next level. The football Huskies were like that with Sark, but they may have upgraded. I wouldn't mind seeing the hoop Huskies upgrade, but I'll never say anyone should lose their job.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3dvtzw93 said:
The only time they're good is when they have somebody like Brockman, and even then they can't take it to the next level. The football Huskies were like that with Sark, but they may have upgraded. I wouldn't mind seeing the hoop Huskies upgrade, but I'll never say anyone should lose their job.

I agree. Without star players, Romar struggles. Even with Brockman, one year they really struggled and were under .500. He doesn't seem to coach up players. If they're good they will be ok but if they are average, then most likely they will stay average. Romar is not a bad coach. He's done well wherever he's gone. It's just that the recruiting has been suspect and he's not attracting the top players like he did early when he first arrived. Wroten and Ross were good when they arrived. That was the last team that won 20+ games and they still didn't make the NCAA tourney. They got jobbed but still. He hasn't recruited anyone like them since. Losing Cameron Dollar as an assistant coach has hurt Romar. Dollar does a good job of player development.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1bxwbfh9 said:
First of all, Romar is in the midst of changing the style at the UW... he went away from the Arkansas style frantic full court press a few years ago and started building a half court style team.

Unfortunately that coincided with a rash of injuries, some major recruiting losses, and a downturn in guard talent = disaster.

Will never forget that Jones & Kanter debacle. Could you image having...

C - Kanter
PF - Jones
SF - Ross/Wilcox
SG - Ross/Wilcox
PG - Wroten Jr.

That's an NCAA championship caliber line up. The rest of the team is pretty much slim pickings though aside from decent at best depth.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Abdul Gaddy was the beginning of the end for Romar.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
SonicHawk":27fmazvp said:
Abdul Gaddy was the beginning of the end for Romar.

It's so disappointing how his career turned out. Like seriously, he was the #2 overall recruit in the entire nation, #2 overall!!!!
Only managed an average of 8pts and 4ast in 4 years at UW and is now a d-league player at best and a long shot in the NBA. Hope he can at least make a career out of basketball even if it's not in the NBA.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Abdul Gaddy... My god don't you guy even remind me...

He even started Gaddy over Wroten, like what in the actual hell was going on?

Latest posts