2014 Seattle Mariners

Raptor22

Reaction score
How do you think Mariners will do this season? Do you have hope for them?

mbtitleist

Reaction score
76 wins. Being a fan I always have a bit of hope, but they're not making the playoffs this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
82 wins as it stands now..there are 2 more players coming in I think.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2quoqsfc said:
I'll be surprised if they break 75 wins this year. .500 will be considered a miracle.

Have you followed their offseason?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think they'll win eighty barring bad luck/injuries.

I think there's an outside chance they win ninety and make the playoffs if we have good luck/Miller and Zunino take the next step. Maybe Walker is ready for the show too and breaks out. These are not out of the realm of possibility, but after years of our young guys totally flopping, I'm not counting on them happening.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3m27n8yx said:
SeatownJay":3m27n8yx said:
I'll be surprised if they break 75 wins this year. .500 will be considered a miracle.

Have you followed their offseason?
These are the Mariners. I'm going to assume they suck until they actually show me otherwise on the field.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I like some of the moves they made, but in the end it will come down to player development, something that's been lacking for a long time.
If they sign Kendrys I could see 82-85 wins, if they don't or they sign cruz it's under 500 and zduriencik is probably fired

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
.500 ball. At least I hope they can get to .500!

Going to be hard to go back to "real" Seattle sports after this magical season...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":d087lx5q said:
I'm open to the Ms being sneaky good this year. I'm much less cynical than in past years. I thank the Seahawks for this.

I tried that optimism last year.

I'm happy about a few things. Although we paid too much and too long for Cano I can't complain. Not my money. I like the deal we gave Guti even though we're still garbage in the OF. I expect them to do a bit more before the season starts. They have to get rid of Smoak or Ackley.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
We need Ackley as we are low on outfielders that can actually play defense. It's basically Ackley, Guti, Saunders, and if we get fifty games out of Guti, we'll be lucky.

Smoak, on the other hand, is redundant. I don't know what we can get for him, though. Really, we need to make a Nick Franklin/James Paxton trade count. Maybe Baltimore would give us Adam Jones back for those two...

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Smoak is the only 1st baseman on the team, hardly redundant. I think it's funny to assume you can take any broken down catcher or OF'er and throw them at 1-bag, thinking the level of defense between them and a guy who has played there his entire life(and is one of the better defensive 1B in the league) is negligible enough to disregard entirely because of hitting #'s.

davidonmi

Reaction score
this team is full of one dimensional players.
Zunino can field, but his bat isn't major league ready.
Smoak can field, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
Cano can do both, that's why they paid him 10/240
Seager can do both, I'll give him that
Franklin has a decent bat, but is an error machine
Miller is okay at both, we'll see how he progresses.
Morrison sucks at everything
Hart can hit, fielding and health are ?'s
Saunders can field, can't really hit
Guti can hit and field, but he's never healthy
Ackley has potential to be a good hitter, but does not contain an OFer skillset
When they sign Cruz he not only can't field, but he'll fall of a cliff at the plate.
This team has some stuff, but it isn't well balanced enough to win more than 82 games

Atradees

Reaction score
Im optimistic with the youth and the vets they are still trying to bring in. For me its the pitching.
Those prospects need to develope. Have good pitching? Win games. Period.