Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How'd you spend your lockdown?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
How'd you spend your lockdown?
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:01 pm
  • Well folks... With all the horrible things going on in the world right now, I figured I'd dwell in some rare positivity.

It's going on nearly 18 months now and a lot of us have been home from the office for the duration of that time. How did you spend your time in lockdown? Did you develop a new skill? Start collecting coins or stamps? Maybe you learned to play a new instrument?

As for me, I spent this time bonding with my two young children. I also learned woodworking, and have been building electric guitars in my spare time, each more complicated than the last. I've also parleyed that hobby in to a small business selling guitars, guitar hardware, and buying/selling used and vintage amps. I've also been playing a lot of guitar, improving my skills markedly for the first time in decades.

My squeeze and baby mama has been honing her chops on the bass, and is developing in to a hell of a skilled player. Just two years on the instrument this month, and she's landed a gig with an 11 piece group that does Motown, soul, and R&B. Coming soon to a gin joint or private party near you.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: How'd you spend your lockdown?
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 pm

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:52 pm
  • Sweet looking guitar. :2thumbs:
    Creation has an awesome sense of accomplishment when finished.

I’ve tried woodworking but can’t put forth the time or effort it takes to be come skilled at it.
    I work with a couple of fellas that are outstanding wood workers and have their own shops at home that are spectacular when it comes to shops.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:21 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Sweet looking guitar. :2thumbs:

I’ve tried woodworking but can’t put forth the time or effort it takes to be come skilled at it.
    I work with a couple of fellas that are outstanding wood workers and have their own shops at home that are spectacular when it comes to shops.

Thanks man. It's definitely a labor of love and though it was not something I ever thought I'd be good at, the process oriented nature of it and meticulous attention to detail it requires is right in my wheelhouse. The materials science is also interesting as the properties of various woods lends them more suitable to a neck, body, or both.

Right now, I have a storage locker with somewhere between 15 and 20 completed bodies in various shapes awaiting finish, but before I can complete them I need to glue up some laminate materials to carve necks from.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:37 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sweet looking guitar. :2thumbs:

Thanks man. It's definitely a labor of love and though it was not something I ever thought I'd be good at, the process oriented nature of it and meticulous attention to detail it requires is right in my wheelhouse. The materials science is also interesting as the properties of various woods lends them more suitable to a neck, body, or both.

Right now, I have a storage locker with somewhere between 15 and 20 completed bodies in various shapes awaiting finish, but before I can complete them I need to glue up some laminate materials to carve necks from.

There are some great YOUTUBE vids on the different techniques and materials as well as pick ups and all that and how to build, what Guitars from different manufacturers use and same manufacturers but different countries and the difference, I never knew that varied that much.

Saw one Vid where Eddie Van Halen who by the way was OCD, about this stuff and made the first Frankencaster, he met with Les Paul, Les Paul said that himself and Eddie along with Leo Fender were the only real people that understood how to create and make a Guitar.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 am
  • Remodeled a bathroom, remodeled our den, put up a weatherboard wall in the hallway, bought a hot tub for our cabin, and we just adopted a puppy.

So busy pandemic year for Sarge.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information