Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Booster shot for Johnson & Johnson

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:06 pm
  • I got my J&J in April, just boostered it with a shot of Pfizer couple of weeks ago. Totally not approved or recommended by CDC, but J&J and other viral vector vaccine seems to be behind mRNA ones.

Anyone else has done that or I am the only dumb a** using my body as trial? Or in this case unapproved non-clinical trial?

I took the Pfizer after Angela Merkel took a mRNA moderna in June after her vital vector Seneca in April. Mixing and matching is approved in Canada and apparently Germany. But none listed J&J as a candidate for mixing, may be becuase JJ supposed to be a one shot Deal?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: Booster shot for Johnson & Johnson
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:10 pm
  • toffee wrote:I got my J&J in April, just boostered it with a shot of Pfizer couple of weeks ago. Totally not approved or recommended by CDC, but J&J and other viral vector vaccine seems to be behind mRNA ones.

Anyone else has done that or I am the only dumb a** using my body as trial? Or in this case unapproved non-clinical trial?

I took the Pfizer after Angela Merkel took a mRNA moderna in June after her vital vector Seneca in April. Mixing and matching is approved in Canada and apparently Germany. But none listed J&J as a candidate for mixing, may be becuase JJ supposed to be a one shot Deal?

Only thing I can say is, I recommend that you get a second Pfizer dose after the recommended time frame.

I doubt getting the two separate vaccines will hurt you any, but I’m pretty sure if you want the coverage that the Pfizer affords you, it’s designed to be a two dose regimen.

I too have absolutely no science to back me up, it just seems like common sense to me.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm
  • toffee wrote:I got my J&J in April, just boostered it with a shot of Pfizer couple of weeks ago. Totally not approved or recommended by CDC, but J&J and other viral vector vaccine seems to be behind mRNA ones.

We're considering doing so even though that would mean, basically, lying. It would mean having to go to some popup where maybe they don't have a link to the database showing that in fact we were vaccinated, like you said, in April. Did you go to one of those things or a normal drugstore? Did they have a lookup or even ask?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:33 pm

Pretty easy to go on line and ask the medical question site about it if you need the second Pfizer or not.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:01 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:I got my J&J in April, just boostered it with a shot of Pfizer couple of weeks ago. Totally not approved or recommended by CDC, but J&J and other viral vector vaccine seems to be behind mRNA ones.

We're considering doing so even though that would mean, basically, lying. It would mean having to go to some popup where maybe they don't have a link to the database showing that in fact we were vaccinated, like you said, in April. Did you go to one of those things or a normal drugstore? Did they have a lookup or even ask?

I got mine from major drugstores, I haven't notice any side effects or whatever since I took the shoots. If you are going for it, be aware that's not approved nor recommended by FDA or CDC etc., I took the nRMA shot as booster knowing all that, but also googled and consulted some. In the end, for me, it's settling for J&J with known lower efficacy or go for a unapproved booster.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:21 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:I got my J&J in April, just boostered it with a shot of Pfizer couple of weeks ago. Totally not approved or recommended by CDC, but J&J and other viral vector vaccine seems to be behind mRNA ones.

Pretty easy to go on line and ask the medical question site about it if you need the second Pfizer or not.
    It’s a Crap Shoot Chris.

Any answer he got would probably be less than an educated guess because there’s little to almost none reliable (published)research available on mixing the viral vector with mRNA.

Based on how he worded his question it’s pretty obvious he’s already aware of what information is out there.

There’s 3 main studies on mixing mRNA versions of the vaccines, Spain, UK, and Germany. 2 were based on effectiveness, 1 on Safety (iirc)and I don’t recall who studied what.

Here’s some basic information on the differences of the two types of vaccines, if you’re interested.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5413806
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am
  • Bioxriv preprint out indicating that J&J is like AZ. About a third effective against the variant on first dose. But there's no second dose of J&J.

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may not be as effective as those with mRNA technology, according to a new study. The study, posted by bioRxiv, says that the 13 million people who received the vaccine may need to receive a second dose, ideally the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Although the study has not been peer-reviewed nor published, the findings align with studies of the AstraZeneca vaccine that concludes one dose of the vaccine is 33% effective against symptomatic disease of the Delta variant and 60% effective against the variant after the second dose. The results contradict studies published by Johnson & Johnson that say a single dose of their vaccine is effective against the variant.

“The message that we wanted to give was not that people shouldn’t get the J.&J. vaccine, but we hope that in the future, it will be boosted with either another dose of J.&J. or a boost with Pfizer or Moderna,” Nathaniel Landau, a virologist at New York University's Grossman School of Medicine who led the study, told New York Times.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 9.452771v1
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Bioxriv preprint out indicating that J&J is like AZ. About a third effective against the variant on first dose. But there's no second dose of J&J.

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may not be as effective as those with mRNA technology, according to a new study. The study, posted by bioRxiv, says that the 13 million people who received the vaccine may need to receive a second dose, ideally the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Although the study has not been peer-reviewed nor published, the findings align with studies of the AstraZeneca vaccine that concludes one dose of the vaccine is 33% effective against symptomatic disease of the Delta variant and 60% effective against the variant after the second dose. The results contradict studies published by Johnson & Johnson that say a single dose of their vaccine is effective against the variant.

“The message that we wanted to give was not that people shouldn’t get the J.&J. vaccine, but we hope that in the future, it will be boosted with either another dose of J.&J. or a boost with Pfizer or Moderna,” Nathaniel Landau, a virologist at New York University's Grossman School of Medicine who led the study, told New York Times.

SantaClaraHawk wrote:Bioxriv preprint out indicating that J&J is like AZ. About a third effective against the variant on first dose. But there's no second dose of J&J.

Yes, Az and J&J are similar in that they both are Viral vector, but that’s not in question here.

The question posed is in regards to mixing viral vector and mRNA vaccines (not together in a single dose).

There doesn’t seem to be any published information from any studies, least not that I’ve seen in regards to COVID, it’s possible that someone studied this in association with vaccines for other illnesses but I’ve had no reason or enough care to dive into it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:33 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Bioxriv preprint out indicating that J&J is like AZ. About a third effective against the variant on first dose. But there's no second dose of J&J.

Yes, Az and J&J are similar in that they both are Viral vector, but that’s not in question here.

The question posed is in regards to mixing viral vector and mRNA vaccines (not together in a single dose).

There doesn’t seem to be any published information from any studies, least not that I’ve seen in regards to COVID, it’s possible that someone studied this in association with vaccines for other illnesses but I’ve had no reason or enough care to dive into it.

Canada, EU, other places boosted AZ with Pfizer in younger people over blood clot concerns so at least it's been done.

We're more like, well, we might as well get both doses of the Pfizer. You'd have 90 percent protection against infection with the Pfizer against Delta plus the 30 percent chance you already had with J&J.

Man, I wish I'd had a vaccine choice then but at the time you couldn't even ask.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:46 pm
  • Mixing viral vector with mRNA may be a winner? At least I am hoping that it's :) Best of both world?

I started this topic to share my experience and hope to receive inputs.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 pm
  • toffee wrote:Mixing viral vector with mRNA may be a winner? At least I am hoping that it's :) Best of both world?

Thanks for starting the topic!

Did you have side effects with either J&J or the subsequent dose of Pfizer, and will you be following up with the second dose of Pfizer?

We're leaning toward getting both Pfizer doses. We know far more what the efficacy of the two Pfizers are against even testing positive for covid including the variants, and the latest news on J&J is a study showing that if anything it's 30 percent against Delta, which is now 85 percent of California infections.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:Mixing viral vector with mRNA may be a winner? At least I am hoping that it's :) Best of both world?

Thanks for starting the topic!

Did you have side effects with either J&J or the subsequent dose of Pfizer, and will you be following up with the second dose of Pfizer?

We're leaning toward getting both Pfizer doses. We know far more what the efficacy of the two Pfizers are against even testing positive for covid including the variants, and the latest news on J&J is a study showing that if anything it's 30 percent against Delta, which is now 85 percent of California infections.

I didn't experience any side effect when I took J&J back in April, same no side effect for Pfizer in late June. I have decided to skip the 2nd Pfizer, taking advise from 'experts' that I have contacted, some experts from this article. (https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-06-25/)
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:48 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

Canada, EU, other places boosted AZ with Pfizer in younger people over blood clot concerns so at least it's been done.

We're more like, well, we might as well get both doses of the Pfizer. You'd have 90 percent protection against infection with the Pfizer against Delta plus the 30 percent chance you already had with J&J.

Man, I wish I'd had a vaccine choice then but at the time you couldn't even ask.
    Yea, I’m aware that it’s been done, and although it may seem like it I’m not trying to be contrary.
    My point is/was that there doesn’t seem to have been any legitimate studies w/published outcomes and data to support.

My thinking is that both types appear to be relatively safe, and that if a person wants the full coverage they should get whatever is recommended for either if they choose to mix and match.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:04 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    My point is/was that there doesn’t seem to have been any legitimate studies w/published outcomes and data to support.

So true, guys like me that are taking a risk. Although I haven't experience any side or negative effects after mixing viral vector with mRNA, your mileage may vary.

Delta variant seems to be the real deal however:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... qus_thread
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:37 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

So true, guys like me that are taking a risk. Although I haven't experience any side or negative effects after mixing viral vector with mRNA, your mileage may vary.

Personally I don’t feel the risks would be any worse than any of the vaccines as a stand alone but again that’s just my opinion.

“Risks” are something that baffle me regardless of what we’re talking about because “different strokes for different strokes” and here’s a crazy example in regards to the COVID vaccines.

100% true story and it happened just this AM.
    This is how stupid people can be, how misinformation gets buried in our minds.

Myself and partner responded to a 911 call that was for a 90y/o female “not feeling well”.
    Call notes on MDT (mobile data terminal/computer in ambulance) said that the initial screen for Covid19 was positive. (This is via questions asked by dispatch)

We arrive to find the 90 y/o sitting peacefully and in good cheer in her living room, her adult(obviously) daughter and son-in-law were in attendance.
    The woman is alert and oriented x4, no obvious distress or injuries.

When I questioned the 90 y/o pt how she was feeling she said that her hip hurt a little. This turned out to be a chronic complaint and there was nothing new about it.

So I turned to the daughter and asked what the emergency was.
    The daughter went on to explain that her and her husband had both recently been diagnosed with COVID but had recovered and been symptom free for over a week. These folks were clearly against the vaccines, I know because when I asked if them or the patient were vaccinated they went off on me about all the hoopla and then some.

They had concerns that they may have exposed the 90 y/o to the virus, so two days prior on Tuesday they took the women to a stand alone ER/urgent care for testing, women tested negative.

This is where it gets ludicrous, and how peoples view of “risk” becomes baffling to me.

This woman had absolutely no symptoms of Covid, she had absolutely no complaints (other than her minor chronic hip pain) but they want her to be taken by ambulance to a busy emergency room to be re-tested because they “believe” she got a false negative result from the test two days ago.

I tried hard to explain the “risks” involved in taking a healthy 90y/o to a busy ER but they weren’t having any of it.
    I asked if she was in fact negative again if they would consider getting her vaccinated, that opened a can of worms. I was told not no but Hell No.

Anyway we loaded this lady up and hauled her to the ER, she was evaluated at triage and being completely stable and w/o complaints she was moved to the lobby to wait. The lobby was full of sick people (at least 40) and the nurses told me that at least 6 were COVID positive.

This lady still made all her own medical decisions but her family dictates what they want her to do.
    This lady didn’t want to go to the hospital she consented because her family wanted her to go, she wasn’t against getting vaccinated, she refused because her family didn’t think she should.

In terms of “risk”, how can someone/anyone think there is more risk involved with the Covid vaccine than there is with contracting the virus @90 y/o?
    How can anyone risk sending a perfectly healthy 90y/o loved one to an ER full of sick folks and think that’s somehow less risky.

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:46 pm
  • Side note:

Texas just released some numbers.

I heard it on the radio news this AM (94.5 the Buzz in Houston).

Since February approximately 9000 COVID related deaths.
    (As I’ve said many times, I’m very skeptical about Covid related death numbers) but….anyway.

Out of the 9000 deaths since February 95.6 % were not vaccinated.

Having said that, I don’t actually know much about these numbers, only that it was reported on the radio news.

If these numbers are even close to being accurate, and other states are seeing similar per capita numbers those that have not been vaccinated should take notice, especially those in any of the higher risk demographics.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:11 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

Personally I don’t feel the risks would be any worse than any of the vaccines as a stand alone but again that’s just my opinion.

“Risks” are something that baffle me regardless of what we’re talking about because “different strokes for different strokes” and here’s a crazy example in regards to the COVID vaccines.

Myself and partner responded to a 911 call that was for a 90y/o female “not feeling well”.
    Call notes on MDT (mobile data terminal/computer in ambulance) said that the initial screen for Covid19 was positive. (This is via questions asked by dispatch)

We arrive to find the 90 y/o sitting peacefully and in good cheer in her living room, her adult(obviously) daughter and son-in-law were in attendance.

When I questioned the 90 y/o pt how she was feeling she said that her hip hurt a little. This turned out to be a chronic complaint and there was nothing new about it.

The daughter went on to explain that her and her husband had both recently been diagnosed with COVID but had recovered and been symptom free for over a week. These folks were clearly against the vaccines, I know because when I asked if them or the patient were vaccinated they went off on me about all the hoopla and then some.

They had concerns that they may have exposed the 90 y/o to the virus, so two days prior on Tuesday they took the women to a stand alone ER/urgent care for testing, women tested negative.

This is where it gets ludicrous, and how peoples view of “risk” becomes baffling to me.

This woman had absolutely no symptoms of Covid, she had absolutely no complaints (other than her minor chronic hip pain) but they want her to be taken by ambulance to a busy emergency room to be re-tested because they “believe” she got a false negative result from the test two days ago.

I tried hard to explain the “risks” involved in taking a healthy 90y/o to a busy ER but they weren’t having any of it.
    I asked if she was in fact negative again if they would consider getting her vaccinated, that opened a can of worms. I was told not no but Hell No.

Anyway we loaded this lady up and hauled her to the ER, she was evaluated at triage and being completely stable and w/o complaints she was moved to the lobby to wait. The lobby was full of sick people (at least 40) and the nurses told me that at least 6 were COVID positive.

This lady still made all her own medical decisions but her family dictates what they want her to do.
    This lady didn’t want to go to the hospital she consented because her family wanted her to go, she wasn’t against getting vaccinated, she refused because her family didn’t think she should.

In terms of “risk”, how can someone/anyone think there is more risk involved with the Covid vaccine than there is with contracting the virus @90 y/o?
    How can anyone risk sending a perfectly healthy 90y/o loved one to an ER full of sick folks and think that’s somehow less risky.

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.

People think if they get a transport they'll get seen in ER sooner.

But still, is this not the kind of call that can be decllined or referred back to 311 for a listing of testing centers?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.

But still, is this not the kind of call that can be decllined or referred back to 311 for a listing of testing centers?

They will, they get into the rooms to be evaluated and transferred from gurney etc to bed so that EMT's and urgent responders can get back to the field. Otherwise all the responders and equipment is tied up in a waiting room full of people too, want to see a mess? Lets have 7 to 10 EMT vehicles, the crews, Gurneys, oxygen tanks, IV's etc all stacked in a waiting room waiting to get inside the ER. Oh all those new calls, you have to take a number since our crews are waiting in line at the ER.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:15 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Side note:

Texas just released some numbers.

I heard it on the radio news this AM (94.5 the Buzz in Houston).

Since February approximately 9000 COVID related deaths.
    (As I’ve said many times, I’m very skeptical about Covid related death numbers) but….anyway.

Out of the 9000 deaths since February 95.6 % were not vaccinated.

Having said that, I don’t actually know much about these numbers, only that it was reported on the radio news.

If these numbers are even close to being accurate, and other states are seeing similar per capita numbers those that have not been vaccinated should take notice, especially those in any of the higher risk demographics.

I was on a website and those are consistent everywhere Pmedic given a few percentage points.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:40 pm
  • This variant is crazy and there are stories all over the place of vaccinated people getting it and transmitting it.

Two people walk into a bar near Sacramento without a mask, just like everyone else, and had a conscience enough to send the bar a note that they had tested positive after not wearing a mask. The manager and two servers tested positive. The bar is closed for the rest of the month and after that will be carding people for vaccination and reinstating masks.

San Francisco bar owners are looking at doing the same.

I'd be very surprised if the Bay doesn't re-mandate masks within the next week. In the way people act, it is here in all but name already. And if cases is the ultimate focus, then mitigation obvi includes social distancing: It is better to keep people apart than people's noses in someone's armpit while wearing a mask.

We can keep doing this. It wouldn't be the worst option, but it would be a very predictable holding pattern.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:This variant is crazy and there are stories all over the place of vaccinated people getting it and transmitting it.

Two people walk into a bar near Sacramento without a mask, just like everyone else, and had a conscience enough to send the bar a note that they had tested positive after not wearing a mask. The manager and two servers tested positive. The bar is closed for the rest of the month and after that will be carding people for vaccination and reinstating masks.

I'd be very surprised if the Bay doesn't re-mandate masks within the next week. In the way people act, it is here in all but name already. And if cases is the ultimate focus, then mitigation obvi includes social distancing: It is better to keep people apart than people's noses in someone's armpit while wearing a mask.

We can keep doing this. It wouldn't be the worst option, but it would be a very predictable holding pattern.
    I don't leave home/car without masks, in fact have senticizer on me always. The thing is that I don't find wearing masks that much of an effort. Ok, I live in the desert, so super hot weather. But masks still doesn't make that big a difference, discomfort wise.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:33 am
  • Thanks for keeping this non-political folks. I don’t want to move this topic so keep on keeping on. :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:19 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.

Not the point.

Point was …..

Will risk going to an ER (full of sick people)with no complaints but won’t risk getting a vaccine.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:26 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    toffee wrote:

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.

They will, they get into the rooms to be evaluated and transferred from gurney etc to bed so that EMT's and urgent responders can get back to the field. Otherwise all the responders and equipment is tied up in a waiting room full of people too, want to see a mess? Lets have 7 to 10 EMT vehicles, the crews, Gurneys, oxygen tanks, IV's etc all stacked in a waiting room waiting to get inside the ER. Oh all those new calls, you have to take a number since our crews are waiting in line at the ER.
    They won’t.
    Again the theory doesn’t match the reality.

We have people call 911 daily thinking they will be “seen sooner” if they go by ambulance.

Absolutely a falsehood at least in the Houston area.

We wheel them in, they get a quick evaluation, if found to be a non urgent problem they go directly to the lobby waiting area to wait just like all the other people that probably shouldn’t be in an emergency room but at a clinic, doctors office, or urgent care facility. About half end up walking out without ever being seen for their complaints.

Unfortunately many people think they have no options, and probably don’t but that’s a whole topic of it’s own and probably is best suited for the political forum.

Edit:
    The actual fact of the matter is, even some urgent problems end up in the lobby simply because they are less urgent that folks that are getting beds in the exam rooms.
    Our ERs are constantly full, and it’s a huge problem.
    Houston has one of the highest concentrations of hospitals in the world, and they stay full ER wise.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:16 am
  • toffee wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:This variant is crazy and there are stories all over the place of vaccinated people getting it and transmitting it.

I don't leave home/car without masks, in fact have senticizer on me always. The thing is that I don't find wearing masks that much of an effort. Ok, I live in the desert, so super hot weather. But masks still doesn't make that big a difference, discomfort wise.

Masks are performative in some cases. Like indoor dining. The mask stays on until you get to the table, after which they all come off. You're seated next to a big birthday party three feet away, close enough to see guest of honor blow out the candles. You imagine the air currents. That's masks, without social distancing.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 pm

• They will, they get into the rooms to be evaluated and transferred from gurney etc to bed so that EMT's and urgent responders can get back to the field. Otherwise all the responders and equipment is tied up in a waiting room full of people too, want to see a mess? Lets have 7 to 10 EMT vehicles, the crews, Gurneys, oxygen tanks, IV's etc all stacked in a waiting room waiting to get inside the ER. Oh all those new calls, you have to take a number since our crews are waiting in line at the ER.

This call sounds as ridiculous as people calling 911 to say that they were hungry. Dispatchers would just tell them that this wasn't an emergency.

PMedic and his partner go over, and there's no sense of ANYTHING emergent. It's like the "I'm hungry" call, but wanting to get the free meal ONLY at the hospital. That's not their job, any more than community covid testing is.

PMedic is right in that taking a 90-yo to that hosp probably HEIGHTENED her risk as she probably sat there for six hours as the lowest priority triage patient. I'm sure if that family could get away with it, they'd make him Medical Uber their grandma home so they wouldn't have to go get her.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Personally I don’t feel the risks would be any worse than any of the vaccines as a stand alone but again that’s just my opinion.

I just don’t “get it”!
    Rant over, maybe.

They won’t.
    Again the theory doesn’t match the reality.

We have people call 911 daily thinking they will be “seen sooner” if they go by ambulance.

Absolutely a falsehood at least in the Houston area.

We wheel them in, they get a quick evaluation, if found to be a non urgent problem they go directly to the lobby waiting area to wait just like all the other people that probably shouldn’t be in an emergency room but at a clinic, doctors office, or urgent care facility. About half end up walking out without ever being seen for their complaints.

Unfortunately many people think they have no options, and probably don’t but that’s a whole topic of it’s own and probably is best suited for the political forum.

Edit:
    The actual fact of the matter is, even some urgent problems end up in the lobby simply because they are less urgent that folks that are getting beds in the exam rooms.
    Our ERs are constantly full, and it’s a huge problem.
    Houston has one of the highest concentrations of hospitals in the world, and they stay full ER wise.

I have seen them move the patient to a hospital Gurney / Bed apparatus inside the ER corridors, they are technically in the ER, but not roomed so the EMT's can get out and about again.

I may not be a EMT but have seen a ER over 35 times in the last three years and it's pretty consistent, Valley medical has a huge ER segmented for types of patience and very wide corridors also, they just finished remodeling the ER for like the 3rd time in 10 years. That Hospital is never not under construction.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:25 am

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:04 pm
  • toffee wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/biden-officials-see-booster-shots-090012247.html

Boosters are coming ?

With the amount of stupid people we have refusing vaccines, a booster for those that have was inevitable due to the variants being created from those same people across the country and globe as we still allow transcontinental travel and thus the spread.

Going forward they now have facilities to create vaccines and boosters rapidly and distribution networks in place so it can be rolled out easier.

Went to my Doctor yesterday and he stated the Delta is no joke of a variant and we are just getting information on the Lambda, there will be more, Lambda just broke out in guess where..... Texas.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/biden-officials-see-booster-shots-090012247.html

Boosters are coming ?

With the amount of stupid people we have refusing vaccines, a booster for those that have was inevitable due to the variants being created from those same people across the country and globe as we still allow transcontinental travel and thus the spread.

Going forward they now have facilities to create vaccines and boosters rapidly and distribution networks in place so it can be rolled out easier.

Went to my Doctor yesterday and he stated the Delta is no joke of a variant and we are just getting information on the Lambda, there will be more, Lambda just broke out in guess where..... Texas.
    There are two extremes, the antivaxx and guys like me that willingly took booster shot.

The new mask guideline thus put me in funny situation, some folks shook their head disapprovingly at me when they saw me with mask, assuming that I didn't take my shots.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:55 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/biden-officials-see-booster-shots-090012247.html

Boosters are coming ?

There are two extremes, the antivaxx and guys like me that willingly took booster shot.

The new mask guideline thus put me in funny situation, some folks shook their head disapprovingly at me when they saw me with mask, assuming that I didn't take my shots.

People here would just see you as a Trumper for even questioning any social distancing tactics even as they change every day.. When people do not have certainty or when the experience is uncomfortable, owners tend to go overboard or underboard and you have no idea until you show up what they're going to do.

Everyone has their own standards for what they find disgusting. I allmost ralphed over my own food twice seeing these Fambiliy Dinners with them urging Mom to keep blowing, take out all thae candles, and I'm in the sojn's armpit there. She literally spit respiratory droplets three feet away and I'm supposed to be fine with it.

But ok, if I go to a casino around here, it's all going to be "tap tap tap are you wearing the mask?" Yes @$$h0le I was looking for it while sipping the beverage I bought from you. If it's a biggie to you just make a thing where you card us, but quit tapping my shoulder while I'm trying to suck literal ice out of the thing because your establishment has failed to provide water. I mean at that point that is it. If it is THAT unsafe, then I'm not doing it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:21 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Boosters are coming ?

People here would just see you as a Trumper for even questioning any social distancing tactics even as they change every day.. When people do not have certainty or when the experience is uncomfortable, owners tend to go overboard or underboard and you have no idea until you show up what they're going to do.

Everyone has their own standards for what they find disgusting. I allmost ralphed over my own food twice seeing these Fambiliy Dinners with them urging Mom to keep blowing, take out all thae candles, and I'm in the sojn's armpit there. She literally spit respiratory droplets three feet away and I'm supposed to be fine with it.

But ok, if I go to a casino around here, it's all going to be "tap tap tap are you wearing the mask?" Yes @$$h0le I was looking for it while sipping the beverage I bought from you. If it's a biggie to you just make a thing where you card us, but quit tapping my shoulder while I'm trying to suck literal ice out of the thing because your establishment has failed to provide water. I mean at that point that is it. If it is THAT unsafe, then I'm not doing it.

Difficult times, isn't it?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Boosters are coming ?

So your complaining about people in what you called a High End restaurant blowing out candles when you have a Pandemic and a spreading event, close proximity seating and no masks on since your eating. Did they have barriers up at least?

Also since you went then you must feel that you all are protected, if so then why complain?

If not then why would you go to a public facility with chances of un vaxxed people being there and limited protections since it is a restaurant.

You have no basis to complain if you are putting yourself in a position of exposure by others if you are reckless enough to put yourself there in the first place.

Me being me I have yet to get a hair cut, go to a sit down restaurant or anything public, not because I don't want to but because I see stupid people doing stupid $h!t every day around me. That and I have a susceptible person in my household. I still wear a mask even getting gas and sanitize, go to the store I keep my mask on and since they are getting more comfortable they don't have sanitized carts and baskets set up it's do it yourself if they stock the wipes and sanitizer now I keep my hands away from my face and sanitize once back in vehicle.

Seen Doctor yesterday and the Variants are not a joke especially Delta right now, we may see this keep going for another 5 years until people have all been infected, died or vaccinated and boosted at this rate, not something I look forward to, but again you can't fix stupid. People will continue to do $h!t because it's inconvenient and they don't want to or try to understand what the situation is.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:52 pm
  • You know Chris, we are the vaccinated, masked, etc., and yet worry every second about Covid.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:50 am
  • When I got the J&J vaccine, I read up quite a bit about it. And from what I read, it sounded like it was every bit as good as Moderna and Pfizer. The articles I read said not to o worry about the effectiveness rate being less because those rates were tested much differently, and that the vaccine actually produces more of the good stuff for longer than the other 2.

Was this inaccurate? Has the data changed?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:28 pm
  • toffee wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/biden-officials-see-booster-shots-090012247.html

Boosters are coming ?

Fauci today said they could be, but only for severely immunocompromised.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:When I got the J&J vaccine, I read up quite a bit about it. And from what I read, it sounded like it was every bit as good as Moderna and Pfizer. The articles I read said not to o worry about the effectiveness rate being less because those rates were tested much differently, and that the vaccine actually produces more of the good stuff for longer than the other 2.

When it comes to CASES, it's always been unclear whether that measures positivity only, or that plus "mild" (nonhospitalized) incidents. But the first reports were 90-95 percent with the mRNAs. It was 66 percent with J&J, but J&J had gone through trials once variants like UK/South Africa started emerging.

Since then, Pfizer and Moderna released new data showing their vax is still 90-95 percent against Delta, whereas J&J hasn't. J&J is most similar in platform to AZ, which was shown prior to be about 30 percent with just one shot.

However, yet another study's out from Israel estimating that even Pfizer has only been 39 percent effective against Delta there. Even with the two shots.

It's confusing and infuriating.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:56 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:When I got the J&J vaccine, I read up quite a bit about it. And from what I read, it sounded like it was every bit as good as Moderna and Pfizer. The articles I read said not to o worry about the effectiveness rate being less because those rates were tested much differently, and that the vaccine actually produces more of the good stuff for longer than the other 2.

When it comes to CASES, it's always been unclear whether that measures positivity only, or that plus "mild" (nonhospitalized) incidents. But the first reports were 90-95 percent with the mRNAs. It was 66 percent with J&J, but J&J had gone through trials once variants like UK/South Africa started emerging.

Since then, Pfizer and Moderna released new data showing their vax is still 90-95 percent against Delta, whereas J&J hasn't. J&J is most similar in platform to AZ, which was shown prior to be about 30 percent with just one shot.

However, yet another study's out from Israel estimating that even Pfizer has only been 39 percent effective against Delta there. Even with the two shots.

It's confusing and infuriating.

Numbers will vary with density and amount of proximity as well as precautions.

You want to stay dry to jump in the pool.......................

Eradication only happens when you take all the steps and maintain them, we have not done that.

Again education and being smart, having patience for things to work. Seems we are lacking in several aspects because of peoples lack of education and patience above all else.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:00 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

So your complaining about people in what you called a High End restaurant blowing out candles when you have a Pandemic and a spreading event, close proximity seating and no masks on since your eating. Did they have barriers up at least?

Also since you went then you must feel that you all are protected, if so then why complain?

If not then why would you go to a public facility with chances of un vaxxed people being there and limited protections since it is a restaurant.

You have no basis to complain if you are putting yourself in a position of exposure by others if you are reckless enough to put yourself there in the first place.

If we're gonna make it so you have to wear a mask to sit down and then take it off, what's the point with people allowed to deliberately huff and puff repeatedly, masks off, at random? A Chinese study over a year ago showed that infected diners can already give it to other people through ductwork, but we encouraged deliberate spewing of droplets as long as people wear masks to go to the can?

That's what makes me angry, because the mask policy is clearly performative here.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:35 pm
  • it's one thing that you are antivaccine, but quite another to be anti masks. Just how difficult is it to wear a mask? Why would anyone not want to wear a mask even vaccinated?

I accept that masks are not the end all, be all solution. But no one should doubt the role masks played in helping towards preventing infection.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:02 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:There are two extremes, the antivaxx and guys like me that willingly took booster shot.

If we're gonna make it so you have to wear a mask to sit down and then take it off, what's the point with people allowed to deliberately huff and puff repeatedly, masks off, at random? A Chinese study over a year ago showed that infected diners can already give it to other people through ductwork, but we encouraged deliberate spewing of droplets as long as people wear masks to go to the can?

That's what makes me angry, because the mask policy is clearly performative here.

Again, you went there, you chose to take off or not wear a mask, if you get it you may want to look in the mirror for the fault.

I like nothing about this but suck it up because rebelling against it just endangers myself, others and prolongs things. Because if you want to stamp your feet scream loudly it ain't fair Jimmy did it then you really are part of the problem and not part of the solution. Unfortunately there are far too many with that point of view, we will see probably over 20 million deaths when this is either finally curtailed to a normal lifestyle or it evolves to a more deadly strain called something else and we start burning bodies in the town square going to each house literally asking to bring out your dead. We are at 4,156,401 or so and counting now and we know those numbers are under reported from 3rd world countries and countries that want to politicize this.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:52 pm
  • toffee wrote:it's one thing that you are antivaccine, but quite another to be anti masks. Just how difficult is it to wear a mask? Why would anyone not want to wear a mask even vaccinated?

I accept that masks are not the end all, be all solution. But no one should doubt the role masks played in helping towards preventing infection.

I still do it, but to me it makes no sense in some environments, i.e. indoor dining, bars, casinos, where most people are mostly imbibing anyway. In those cases I see no point in it unless you want to be like the casinos and bring in rent-a-cops to be tap-tap-tapping on everyone's shoulder between bites of their meal as well. And then them doing it while having no distancing requirements whatsoever makes even less sense. Because let's face it, what's a mask going to do otherwise? Protect you when you go to the can?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:

Again, you went there, you chose to take off or not wear a mask, if you get it you may want to look in the mirror for the fault.

I like nothing about this but suck it up because rebelling against it just endangers myself, others and prolongs things. Because if you want to stamp your feet scream loudly it ain't fair Jimmy did it then you really are part of the problem and not part of the solution. Unfortunately there are far too many with that point of view, we will see probably over 20 million deaths when this is either finally curtailed to a normal lifestyle or it evolves to a more deadly strain called something else and we start burning bodies in the town square going to each house literally asking to bring out your dead. We are at 4,156,401 or so and counting now and we know those numbers are under reported from 3rd world countries and countries that want to politicize this.

Serious question Chris. Would you go to a Seahawks game, and if no, do you consider we who do go to be irresponsible? Or would we only be so if we didn't wear masks for the entire game?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:16 pm
  • NYT journo who wrote previously about how she got the full course of Pfizer expresses regret, says she'd consider one shot or none. No paywall.

https://www.standardspeaker.com/finally ... 580f2.html

------------------

I can't think of a reason not to do this beyond ADE (antibody-dependent enhancement) as occurred in dengue fever, in which case vaccination actually facilitated entry of a variant. But if true we would have seen more of it among the cases of AZ/mRNA mixing, which many countries have endorsed.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:24 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Serious question Chris. Would you go to a Seahawks game, and if no, do you consider we who do go to be irresponsible? Or would we only be so if we didn't wear masks for the entire game?

As much as I would love to go I would not, I see it playing roulette putting yourself in a situation that you have minimum control over. My situation may be more dire given what I deal with but that's what I would do.

I consider those who go willing to risk a lot more for their entertainment and putting themselves and those close at risk for the above reasons. As much as you can wear a mask thousands screaming and breathing around you and odds are many will pull masks off down or not wear them properly, just go to a Grocery Store and you can see it.

That and Delta is highly transmittable and you have people from all over coming to games.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:NYT journo who wrote previously about how she got the full course of Pfizer expresses regret, says she'd consider one shot or none. No paywall.

https://www.standardspeaker.com/finally ... 580f2.html

------------------

I can't think of a reason not to do this beyond ADE (antibody-dependent enhancement) as occurred in dengue fever, in which case vaccination actually facilitated entry of a variant. But if true we would have seen more of it among the cases of AZ/mRNA mixing, which many countries have endorsed.

I got dengue in the '80s, almost killed me. Come to think of it .... I have been, well, different post dengue.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 am
  • toffee wrote:it's one thing that you are antivaccine, but quite another to be anti masks. Just how difficult is it to wear a mask? Why would anyone not want to wear a mask even vaccinated?

I don't think it's hard to see why people don't like wearing masks. Dogs don't like wearing muzzles. The face/mouth is a big part of signaling social queues.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information