Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 am
  • We watched the 1st episode of Bly Manor a couple night back. I'm not expecting it to be at the level of Hill House. That show was incredible imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 pm
  • Yeah, Hill House set the bar, no doubt. This one is different, but good and worth the watch.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 am
  • We are 5 episodes in and episode 4 just was way too slow. I like the show, but it's not even in the same stratosphere at Hill House. Unless it's starts getting more creepy and soon.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 pm
  • Anyone watch The 100? Guilty pleasure of mine, final season ended recently so rushing through it on Netflix. Terrible acting, awful dialogue, but supremely entertaining. It feels like another garbage teen CW show but for some reason the story is entertaining as hell. Season 1 is mostly terrible (very angsty teen CW drama) but towards the end it picks up and then every season moves at 100 mph with so much happening. Also has no problem killing off majority of the cast.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm
  • Seen the finale a week or so ago.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:10 pm
  • Watched Bly Manor. Good but not great. If you are expecting horror you will be disappointed. It was more of a thriller and drama series than actually scary. Still worth the watch. First half was slow and picked up around episode 5.

Tried watching Away, and wanted to like it because of Hilary Swank, but it was so boring I gave up. Just saw it got canceled, so no second season. I’m not the only one who felt that way about it apparently.

Watched the documentary American Murder. It was pretty good, your typical dateline story. Nothing mind blowing but definitely worth the watch. It was cool how most of it was documented from either police video or social media.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Watched Bly Manor. Good but not great. If you are expecting horror you will be disappointed. It was more of a thriller and drama series than actually scary. Still worth the watch. First half was slow and picked up around episode 5.

Tried watching Away, and wanted to like it because of Hilary Swank, but it was so boring I gave up. Just saw it got canceled, so no second season. I’m not the only one who felt that way about it apparently.

Watched the documentary American Murder. It was pretty good, your typical dateline story. Nothing mind blowing but definitely worth the watch. It was cool how most of it was documented from either police video or social media.

I forced myself to watch all of Season 1 of Away.. really got annoyed with it.

Just watched "Damnation" and for the most part really enjoyed it and would recommend that for sure.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:38 am
  • We finished up Bly Manor last night. It was worth a watch, well acted etc. Just not even close to the same level as Hill House. Slow at times, but overall pretty good.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:52 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:We finished up Bly Manor last night. It was worth a watch, well acted etc. Just not even close to the same level as Hill House. Slow at times, but overall pretty good.

Horror Thriller versus Horror Drama, if we had not seen Hill house first I think more would have been much happier with how it played, expectations were of a Thriller instead of a drama which changed what we were expecting to play out.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 pm
  • Anyone start Barbarians? One episode in and like it so far.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:10 am
  • Story is ok, they didn't have a big budget, with money they could have did a lot more back story and filled out some things and it looks like a one and done series for the most part.

Foreign so not what we are used to seeing from the US and the UK for that matter.

If you watched The Rain it's in that ball park.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 am
  • Thanks for the response. I’ll stick it out and lower my expects a little.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:10 pm
  • Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

See, now I am a Haunting of Hill House snob, and I tell her that nothing I have seen in years compares on the creepy scale. So for those of you who have watched AHS, especially every season so far, how would you compare that series to HoHH? Granted, it was just one season versus a series that is now into, what, the 9th season?

Maybe apples to oranges but I am still curious if those who have seen both can tell me if you would place one over the other, or just in general if AHS is worth the several seasons.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:34 pm
  • Aros wrote:Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

See, now I am a Haunting of Hill House snob, and I tell her that nothing I have seen in years compares on the creepy scale. So for those of you who have watched AHS, especially every season so far, how would you compare that series to HoHH? Granted, it was just one season versus a series that is now into, what, the 9th season?

Maybe apples to oranges but I am still curious if those who have seen both can tell me if you would place one over the other, or just in general if AHS is worth the several seasons.

AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Acting is very good over all, fleshing out things can be difficult at times since you have two stories running together and sometimes it doesn't connect right away.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 am
  • chris98251 wrote:AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Acting is very good over all, fleshing out things can be difficult at times since you have two stories running together and sometimes it doesn't connect right away.

Thanks bud, how would you compare it to HoHH?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:20 am
  • Aros wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Thanks bud, how would you compare it to HoHH?

Long running series that have threads of connection like AHS can ebb and flow, there are some seasons that are intense and others that seem to take time to get going, I suppose that is part of the show runners vision as well as the group of writers from season to season as well. HoHH was a one season focus as far as I can tell, Bly Manor was a Horror Drama in my view and not as much the scary Horror but was a season series also.

HoHH was more intense over all and gripping episode to episode, I liked it as a series better then a single season of AHS.

HoHH set a pretty high bar though, also HOHH was Netflix and AHS started out on FX so while edgy not like a Netflix could be as far as content.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:22 am
  • Bravo. Thanks for the great synopsis and breakdown for both series. :2thumbs:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm
  • Aros wrote:Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.

Appreciate the honest breakdown old friend! I am on episode 4 of S1 and I still don't think it holds a candle to HoHH. Maybe that changes soon?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.

Appreciate the honest breakdown old friend! I am on episode 4 of S1 and I still don't think it holds a candle to HoHH. Maybe that changes soon?

With these long planned out series they slow burn, set up takes forever and then bang and set up again for next season, that's the difference between HoHH.

If you ever watched The Illustrated Man with Clair Bloom and Rod Steiger you will get a shortened picture of what they are doing, that movie had short stories that were vastly different but linked, it took time to understand all of it then the finale closed it all up.

Sort of what they are doing with AHS.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information