Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 am
  • We watched the 1st episode of Bly Manor a couple night back. I'm not expecting it to be at the level of Hill House. That show was incredible imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 pm
  • Yeah, Hill House set the bar, no doubt. This one is different, but good and worth the watch.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 am
  • We are 5 episodes in and episode 4 just was way too slow. I like the show, but it's not even in the same stratosphere at Hill House. Unless it's starts getting more creepy and soon.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 pm
  • Anyone watch The 100? Guilty pleasure of mine, final season ended recently so rushing through it on Netflix. Terrible acting, awful dialogue, but supremely entertaining. It feels like another garbage teen CW show but for some reason the story is entertaining as hell. Season 1 is mostly terrible (very angsty teen CW drama) but towards the end it picks up and then every season moves at 100 mph with so much happening. Also has no problem killing off majority of the cast.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm
  • Seen the finale a week or so ago.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:10 pm
  • Watched Bly Manor. Good but not great. If you are expecting horror you will be disappointed. It was more of a thriller and drama series than actually scary. Still worth the watch. First half was slow and picked up around episode 5.

Tried watching Away, and wanted to like it because of Hilary Swank, but it was so boring I gave up. Just saw it got canceled, so no second season. I’m not the only one who felt that way about it apparently.

Watched the documentary American Murder. It was pretty good, your typical dateline story. Nothing mind blowing but definitely worth the watch. It was cool how most of it was documented from either police video or social media.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Watched Bly Manor. Good but not great. If you are expecting horror you will be disappointed. It was more of a thriller and drama series than actually scary. Still worth the watch. First half was slow and picked up around episode 5.

Tried watching Away, and wanted to like it because of Hilary Swank, but it was so boring I gave up. Just saw it got canceled, so no second season. I’m not the only one who felt that way about it apparently.

Watched the documentary American Murder. It was pretty good, your typical dateline story. Nothing mind blowing but definitely worth the watch. It was cool how most of it was documented from either police video or social media.

I forced myself to watch all of Season 1 of Away.. really got annoyed with it.

Just watched "Damnation" and for the most part really enjoyed it and would recommend that for sure.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:38 am
  • We finished up Bly Manor last night. It was worth a watch, well acted etc. Just not even close to the same level as Hill House. Slow at times, but overall pretty good.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:52 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:We finished up Bly Manor last night. It was worth a watch, well acted etc. Just not even close to the same level as Hill House. Slow at times, but overall pretty good.

Horror Thriller versus Horror Drama, if we had not seen Hill house first I think more would have been much happier with how it played, expectations were of a Thriller instead of a drama which changed what we were expecting to play out.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 pm
  • Anyone start Barbarians? One episode in and like it so far.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:10 am
  • Story is ok, they didn't have a big budget, with money they could have did a lot more back story and filled out some things and it looks like a one and done series for the most part.

Foreign so not what we are used to seeing from the US and the UK for that matter.

If you watched The Rain it's in that ball park.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 am
  • Thanks for the response. I’ll stick it out and lower my expects a little.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:10 pm
  • Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

See, now I am a Haunting of Hill House snob, and I tell her that nothing I have seen in years compares on the creepy scale. So for those of you who have watched AHS, especially every season so far, how would you compare that series to HoHH? Granted, it was just one season versus a series that is now into, what, the 9th season?

Maybe apples to oranges but I am still curious if those who have seen both can tell me if you would place one over the other, or just in general if AHS is worth the several seasons.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:34 pm
  • Aros wrote:Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

See, now I am a Haunting of Hill House snob, and I tell her that nothing I have seen in years compares on the creepy scale. So for those of you who have watched AHS, especially every season so far, how would you compare that series to HoHH? Granted, it was just one season versus a series that is now into, what, the 9th season?

Maybe apples to oranges but I am still curious if those who have seen both can tell me if you would place one over the other, or just in general if AHS is worth the several seasons.

AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Acting is very good over all, fleshing out things can be difficult at times since you have two stories running together and sometimes it doesn't connect right away.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 am
  • chris98251 wrote:AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Acting is very good over all, fleshing out things can be difficult at times since you have two stories running together and sometimes it doesn't connect right away.

Thanks bud, how would you compare it to HoHH?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:20 am
  • Aros wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:AHS is a series that carries over factors from season to season, you start noticing it, it has basically the same group of core actors being prominent in each season. Each season has a purpose and a focus but are tied up with the big picture as well.

Thanks bud, how would you compare it to HoHH?

Long running series that have threads of connection like AHS can ebb and flow, there are some seasons that are intense and others that seem to take time to get going, I suppose that is part of the show runners vision as well as the group of writers from season to season as well. HoHH was a one season focus as far as I can tell, Bly Manor was a Horror Drama in my view and not as much the scary Horror but was a season series also.

HoHH was more intense over all and gripping episode to episode, I liked it as a series better then a single season of AHS.

HoHH set a pretty high bar though, also HOHH was Netflix and AHS started out on FX so while edgy not like a Netflix could be as far as content.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:22 am
  • Bravo. Thanks for the great synopsis and breakdown for both series. :2thumbs:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm
  • Aros wrote:Just started watching American Horror Story. In a couple episodes of season one. My daughter highly recommended it. (We'll gloss over the fact I think it's highly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, she's been watching it with my wife and is almost done with season one).

AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.

Appreciate the honest breakdown old friend! I am on episode 4 of S1 and I still don't think it holds a candle to HoHH. Maybe that changes soon?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:AHS is an anthology series, so each season is a self-contained story. I've only seen the first four seasons, although now that they're on Netflix I plan on watching the ones I've missed so far. I'd put season 1 as my favorite, just as good as Hill House. Season 2 is a disjointed, scrambled mess and you can safely skip it. Season 3, which I just finished rewatching, is my second favorite so far. Season 4 is meh, IMHO.

Appreciate the honest breakdown old friend! I am on episode 4 of S1 and I still don't think it holds a candle to HoHH. Maybe that changes soon?

With these long planned out series they slow burn, set up takes forever and then bang and set up again for next season, that's the difference between HoHH.

If you ever watched The Illustrated Man with Clair Bloom and Rod Steiger you will get a shortened picture of what they are doing, that movie had short stories that were vastly different but linked, it took time to understand all of it then the finale closed it all up.

Sort of what they are doing with AHS.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:23 pm
  • The Queen's Gambit is really good so far. Anya Taylor-Joy is fantastic and I have to admit that the chess prodigy with a drug addiction is an enjoyable vibe.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:58 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:The Queen's Gambit is really good so far. Anya Taylor-Joy is fantastic and I have to admit that the chess prodigy with a drug addiction is an enjoyable vibe.

Just started this yesterday, and I really like it. Such a well done drama.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:The Queen's Gambit is really good so far. Anya Taylor-Joy is fantastic and I have to admit that the chess prodigy with a drug addiction is an enjoyable vibe.

Just started this yesterday, and I really like it. Such a well done drama.

I loved this one start to finish. And call me a prude but it was a real breath of fresh air for them to incorporate $ex and drugs in a manor that wasn't over the top, vulgar or explicit. So many shows and movies try to push those boundaries these days and to have them show some restraint and let the storytelling and performances carry the show was refreshing.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 am
  • mistaowen wrote:Anyone watch The 100? Guilty pleasure of mine, final season ended recently so rushing through it on Netflix. Terrible acting, awful dialogue, but supremely entertaining. It feels like another garbage teen CW show but for some reason the story is entertaining as hell. Season 1 is mostly terrible (very angsty teen CW drama) but towards the end it picks up and then every season moves at 100 mph with so much happening. Also has no problem killing off majority of the cast.

Yes, my wife and I have been binge watching this one. I agree with everything you said on the show.

One minute I'll mock it like a B movie, then something crazy happens and I'm stuck watching it
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:37 am
  • When I had knee surgery back in late January, I watched the first 5 seasons of AHS. It's fun. There's a few characters that get on my nerves, but overall it's a cool show. Lady Gaga does a damn good job imo. Hotel was a trip, and I like how some of the characters intertwine w/in the seasons and/or the same actors show up in other seasons.
    So far, Freak Show is my favorite overall. Asylum is solid too
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:13 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:When I had knee surgery back in late January, I watched the first 5 seasons of AHS. It's fun. There's a few characters that get on my nerves, but overall it's a cool show. Lady Gaga does a damn good job imo. Hotel was a trip, and I like how some of the characters intertwine w/in the seasons and/or the same actors show up in other seasons.
    So far, Freak Show is my favorite overall. Asylum is solid too

If you liked AHS, check out Ratched on Netflix.

Another Ryan Murphy show with Sarah Paulson, Sharon Stone and other great character actors. Has all the production and creep factor of AHS, really well done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am
  • Just watched the first 2 episodes yesterday, solid for sure. The peach argument in the lunch room was hilarious.
    "Just thinking of all the things I'm gonna' do about it"
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:57 am
  • We just finished Queens Gambit, and I can confidently say it's the best show of 2020.

I can't remember a character I've rooted for more on a TV show than Beth Harmon. Anya Taylor plays her beautifully, and IMO is the frontrunner for the Emmy now. Just so well done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:17 pm
  • Attack on Titan. Greatest piece of fiction ever.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:45 pm
  • The only problem with Beth Harmon's character was that her sportsmanship was lacking. It's like, come on, reach over and shake that Russian guy's hand. He beat you fair and square, and you're representing America. Don't make us look like a*hole.

Other than that, great character and great TV show.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:24 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:The only problem with Beth Harmon's character was that her sportsmanship was lacking. It's like, come on, reach over and shake that Russian guy's hand. He beat you fair and square, and you're representing America. Don't make us look like a*hole.

Other than that, great character and great TV show.

In the end? She not only shook his hand, she hugged him.

In general though, that was her personality disorder........cold, aloof, awkward, due to her trauma.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 am
  • No not at the end. The first time they played.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:28 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:No not at the end. The first time they played.

You mean hungover hopped up on pills and after her mom died? Lol, I think you should give her a pass on that one.

But again, that's Beth's personality, or lack there of. I think today they'd say Beth was "on the spectrum."
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:11 pm
  • Well whatever the reason I just didn't like that part of her character. The only moment that stuck out. Sorry about your bad luck, Beth, but show some respect to people from other countries. Yes, as you point out we can at least what drove her to be that way. But still.

Excellent TV, though. Best thing I've watched in the last year for sure.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:12 pm
  • Couple new shows the wife and I have been watching to recommend.

The Flight Attendant, new HBO Max series with Kaley Cuoco from Big Bang Theory. Never watched BBT, so I didn't know Cuoco very well, but she kills it in this series. Good couples show if you need something to watch with the wife, enough murder and chaos to keep you interested, and enough crazy hot mess chick stuff for the ladies. Slick, edgy and suspenseful.

Your Honor, new Showtime series with Bryan Cranston. Takes all of 20 minutes into the first episode for Cranston to dig down deep and give us some awesome Walter White level darkness.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:43 pm
  • Dammit! I don't have either HBO or Showtime.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm
  • I've been watching the Flight Attendant too. Pretty cool. With Kaley Cuoco's fine ass.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 pm
  • Anybody check out Moonbase 8? I watched the first episode, it was pretty funny. Had it's moments. Haven't picked up where I left off yet though. Curious what people who've seen more think. The cameo in the first episode was awesome.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:54 pm
  • Anyone catch ep 1 of The Stand? I was happy with it and I am looking fwd to the rest.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:57 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Anyone catch ep 1 of The Stand? I was happy with it and I am looking fwd to the rest.

What channel or service, quit being a lazy Canadian and put some work into it.

Now I have to go Google and look it up.

CBS all Access for those that are reading this thread.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:05 pm
  • I'm trying to wait until The Stand's final episode has finished so I can binge it all at once...not sure if I'll have the willpower or not. I love Alexander Skarsgard as an actor, though.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:23 pm
  • I miss when this was just Netflix shows. I hate all these great recommendations on shows I can't watch! :evil: :P :stirthepot:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 am
  • Aros wrote:I miss when this was just Netflix shows. I hate all these great recommendations on shows I can't watch! :evil: :P :stirthepot:

I expect it to be like Star Trek Discovery and after a couple seasons or if it is just a short mini series to be offered on CBS regular broadcast after they milk it for the App, Britannia on Epix has a delayed broadcast on Prime now after a year as well.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:59 pm
  • Star trek discovery is having it's best season ever and yes of course i'm hooked
    Just get kodi and you can watch whatever whenever aros
    Arhhh it's great stuff maty :stirthepot: :2thumbs: :rumble:
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Anyone catch ep 1 of The Stand? I was happy with it and I am looking fwd to the rest.

Thanks, but please, no spoilers. I had no idea it had been released, and I will have to try to look up how to access it. I'm not very good at that sort of thing. :?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:21 pm
  • Binge watches s3 of cobra kai...continues to be a good series. The Stand is 3 episodes in and still okay. Last episode a bit slow.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:28 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:The Stand is 3 episodes in and still okay. Last episode a bit slow.

:( Still waiting for the season to end so I can watch it all at once, but my hopes are going down a bit.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:06 am
  • Don't F**k With Cats documentary on Netflix. This stuff is unreal.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:57 pm
  • Has anyone mentioned Locke and Key on Netflix? Fun show, reminds me of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.... has that kinda feel. Interesting, creative.

Also I've been watching In the Dark on Netflix, about a blind woman who's trying to solve a murder. The character is great, and the actress does a great job.

I'll also plug one of my favorite shows again, Kingdom with Frank Grillo. Watch it, an amazing show that got zero publicity.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:32 pm
  • Watched season 3 of Cobra Kai and it continues to be a fun nostalgia trip.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information