Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:19 pm
  • On Prime..
    The Sands of Iwo Jima Starring: John Wayne
    I know I've seen this multiple times over many years
    but I was bored and didn't remember over half of what
    I saw.
    For a film from 1950..It was great!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:24 am
  • Indy, I know, the character list is intimidatingly enormous. I am a bit worried about it, but I'm not ashamed to Wiki-cheat! :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Stoked for another season of Ozark. Such a killer show.

We're bout halfway through the new season. I love Wendy's story arc.........she's gone from innocent blindsided mom and wife to full on gangster.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Hey there all you cool cats and kittens.

Joe actually doesn't have a bad voice, he's just so damn cheesy. This doc is bananas, so nuts that when one of his employees gets her arm ripped clean off by a tiger, they decide to just gloss over it and interview her with no arm.

That's how much crazy redneck insanity is packed into this show, the producers are like "hey she got her arm ripped off.............MOVIN ON!!"

Except it's not his voice in the videos..........
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Hey there all you cool cats and kittens.

Joe actually doesn't have a bad voice, he's just so damn cheesy. This doc is bananas, so nuts that when one of his employees gets her arm ripped clean off by a tiger, they decide to just gloss over it and interview her with no arm.

That's how much crazy redneck insanity is packed into this show, the producers are like "hey she got her arm ripped off.............MOVIN ON!!"

Except it's not his voice in the videos..........

Garth Brooks? All country singers sound the same so hard to tell.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:49 pm
  • On Prime, Eastbound & Down
    I have never seen a series quite like this one.
    If you like baseball and Tiger King then check
    this out... :shock: :lol: :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:05 pm
  • If anyone is into monster movies, I recommend Sweetheart on Netflix.

As for shows, I really liked Slasher, and I am currently on S3 of Ozark. My brother & his wife are really into that show "You", all those shows are also on Netflix.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm
  • Ozark 3 was great. On My Block 3 kind of lost me. Still need to try Hunters. Westworld is really cool but I don't understand wtf is going on.

These days I'm mostly just watching YouTube videos of people unboxing and eating old military rations.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:59 pm
  • Getting a free month of EPIX from YouTubeTV and I'm really digging their War of the Worlds series about halfway through the season. Berlin Station was solid too.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:22 am
  • Now that we're all quarantined together with our wives, I know it's hard to find good couples shows that are interesting for both people, so I thought I'd give you guys a list of shows my wife and I both like to watch (and have watched).

Killing Eve (Hulu/BBC)
    Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    Fleabag (Amazon)
    The End of the F'ng World (Netflix)
    Dead to Me (Netflix)
    Better Things (FX)
    Russian Doll (Netflix)
    Afterlife (Netflix)
    Escape at Dannemora (Showtime mini-series)
    Sharp Objects (HBO mini-series)
    Atypical (Netflix)
    Bodyguard (Netflix)

That's a good start for anyone needing some much needed binge worthy couple's watch material. Feel free to add to my list.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 01, 2020 12:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Now that we're all quarantined together with our wives, I know it's hard to find good couples shows that are interesting for both people, so I thought I'd give you guys a list of shows my wife and I both like to watch (and have watched).

Killing Eve (Hulu/BBC)
    Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    Fleabag (Amazon)
    The End of the F'ng World (Netflix)
    Dead to Me (Netflix)
    Better Things (FX)
    Russian Doll (Netflix)
    Afterlife (Netflix)
    Escape at Dannemora (Showtime mini-series)
    Sharp Objects (HBO mini-series)
    Atypical (Netflix)
    Bodyguard (Netflix)

That's a good start for anyone needing some much needed binge worthy couple's watch material. Feel free to add to my list.

Afterlife was fantastic. Thanks for the list I feel like I am starting to run out of things to watch. I will have to try some of the others.

My wife and I liked Travelers on netflix.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm
  • Well sitting here suffering from vertigo so I watched ozark s3. Great season again! Although i read it may get cancelled which would be awful.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm
  • Wrong Missy was pretty good
    The wife loved it , decent comedy and we could all probably use aa good laugh
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm
  • Wife and I have been digging into Schitt's Creek. Holy Hell the son (David) has us belly laughing at least twice an episode. If you are in need of some good laughs check it out. Good humor all around but David is the true treasure.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 pm
  • 'Primal' on Adult Swim was pretty great. 5 episodes (so far) of animated dinosaur violence. Basic premise, cave man and a t-rex become friends after both their families are killed by bigger t-rex's. There is no dialogue, but the visual storytelling is fantastic.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 pm
  • Space Force is my new favorite. Steve Carrell and John Malkovich are hilarious. Good cast, good quips and timing...Worth the watch.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 am
  • Kind of late to the party but just finished The Outsider. Felt it should have been 6-7 episodes, few of them were 100% filler. Pretty typical Stephen King dud of an ending but the transition from episode 9 ending to first 15 min of 10 was terrific. Great acting, directing, editing, etc as is expected for HBO shows. Very clearly built for a second season. Wasn't my favorite show but anything led by Ben Mendelsohn deserves a chance. Maybe it can pull a Leftovers and improve past the source material into a supernatural detective show.

Just starting I know this much is true, also on HBO. So far Mark Ruffalo knocks it out of the park in both roles.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:My two favorite shows of 2019 were Chernobyl and The Boys.............and The Boys is the surprise hit of the year, hands down. Very little buzz and hype for such a highly produced and awesome show.

Fantastic premise, "what would happen if superheroe's were corrupted and amoral a*hole," and even better execution. Dude who plays Homelander is insanely good.

IMO, the premise is actually just "What if superheroes were real?"

Look how power corrupts in politics. Imagine the average politician with superhero powers.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:04 pm
  • I Know This Much Is True on HBO is really good. Sad, depressing, dark and devoid of basically any semblance of hope or happiness, but really good. Ruffalo is phenomenal here with multiple roles.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:03 am
  • IF you guys are craving a non PC/woke show that reminds you of the good old glory days of 80's boobie suspense movies and tv shows, check out White Lines on Netflix.

It's not high art, but the production is insane, and it's just a fun easy show to get into.....especially if you need a show to watch with your lady friend. Lots of eye candy.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:48 am
  • Cool, been eye-ballin' that one. Will check it out.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:53 am
  • I hope folks don't mind if I post in this thread using "Netflix" sort-of generically for streaming services, since I think they are different in Australia to the US.

I can heartily recommend "Years and Years" which is a 2019 BBC/HBO production for TV.

Wikipedia: "The six-part series follows the British Manchester-based Lyons family: Daniel is married to Ralph, Stephen and Celeste worry about their kids, Rosie is looking for a new partner, and Edith is engaged in one humanitarian cause after another. Presiding over them all is Gran, the imperious Muriel. All their lives converge on one crucial night in 2019, and the story accelerates into the future, following the lives and loves of the Lyons over the next 15 years as Britain is rocked by unstable political, economic and technological advances."

Another is "War of the Worlds" - specifically this is a 2019 TV series

Wikipedia: "War of the Worlds is a television series produced by Fox Networks Group and StudioCanal-backed Urban Myth Films. The series is written by Howard Overman, and directed by Gilles Coulier and Richard Clark. The series is a loose adaptation of the H.G. Wells 1898 novel of the same name, and is the third television adaptation of the Wells Martian invasion novel. War of the Worlds consists of eight episodes, and first premiered in France on October 28, 2019. It has been renewed for a second season."

"The series takes place in present-day Europe, but it serves as a re-imagining of the classic H.G. Wells' novel.

In this new take on War Of The Worlds, when astronomers detect a transmission from another star, it is definitive proof of intelligent extra-terrestrial life. Earth's population waits for further contact with bated breath, but does not have to wait long. Within days, mankind is all but wiped out, with just pockets of humanity are left in an eerily deserted world. As alien ships appear in the sky, the survivors ask a burning question — who are these attackers and why are they hell-bent on our destruction?"

It gets a lot of dreadful reviews on imdb.com but I'm riveted! The invaders are not from Mars, and it is indeed only very loosely based on the original novel, although I admit I have never read it. I've never seen either of the movies, either, or the other two TV adaptations.

Comments, anyone?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:48 pm
  • Kingdom on Netflix. Not the Korean zombie one, but there's an American show called Kingdom too. Stars Frank Grillo, he's an old MMA fighter, now has a gym, his sons fight now. It ended in 2017, but was on 3 years, 40 episodes. I guess it was a DirectTV show?? Never knew such a thing existed.

I loved it, I haven't binged watched a show that hard in a long time. If you like fighting, $ex, drugs, and adult drama..... there ya go.

https://popculture.com/sports/news/king ... streaming/

twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 am
  • Away with Hillary Swank is absolutely brilliant. Just finished all 10 episodes and it far exceeded my expectations on just about every level.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:54 pm
  • Aros wrote:Away with Hillary Swank is absolutely brilliant. Just finished all 10 episodes and it far exceeded my expectations on just about every level.

Watched it and agree, who doesn't love a Character named Misha also.

I wonder if there is a second season coming or not, seems like a lot of Netflix shows that were doing ok to well have been cancelled if there is a lot of CGI stuff in them.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 am
  • It doesn't really strike me as a series meant to continue, it felt like a solid one off series, but then again I could see the potential for one if they really wanted to.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm
  • It's cheesy as hell, but anyone who grew up with the Karate Kid has to check out Cobra Kai.

Two seasons out now on Netflix, both Ralph Macchio and William Zabka do a great job, especially Zabka. In a PC world the Johnny Lawrence character spewing offensive stuck in the 80's one liners is a breath of fresh air.

Again, super cheesy, but has enough humor and heart to keep you binging, as well as some great cameos from old cast members.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm
  • Watched the first two seasons of Cobra Kai when they aired on Youtube Premium and really enjoyed it. I'm interested to see what happens with season 3. Apparently they had already filmed it and it was going through post production when the pandemic shut everything down. Netflix should release it sometime next year.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 am
  • I'm about 4 episodes in to season 1, digging it so far.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:32 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Watched the first two seasons of Cobra Kai when they aired on Youtube Premium and really enjoyed it. I'm interested to see what happens with season 3. Apparently they had already filmed it and it was going through post production when the pandemic shut everything down. Netflix should release it sometime next year.

Gotta bring back Elisabeth Shue right?

She's been working on The Boys on Amazon and some other projects, but now that the producers have Netflix's brinks truck of cash, I see no reason why they can't get her on board.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 am
  • I was surprised by Cobra Kai, I started it up, thinking this is going to be awful, what a joke!

Was wrong, I got sucked in! Johnny is hilarious, very entertaining show.

PS Have anyone started Kingdom yet?
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:04 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I was surprised by Cobra Kai, I started it up, thinking this is going to be awful, what a joke!

Was wrong, I got sucked in! Johnny is hilarious, very entertaining show.

PS Have anyone started Kingdom yet?

Started watching this after post(s) in here.
    If you liked the original movies you will like this show :2thumbs:
    The dojo and cars live on :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:05 am
  • Ratched. Just two episodes in and I can tell you it’s yet another worthy Netflix Original to binge.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 pm
  • Seems like on Cobra Kai Johnny is the protagonist the main one. Really in the movies he came off a jerk. But now he is like an anti-hero.
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:07 pm
  • Anyone ever see this video from 2015? He made the case Daniel was the bully the whole time, this was years before the show. He actually makes some good points. It's interesting the show kinda picks up on this idea (though not as exaggerated)

twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Anyone ever see this video from 2015? He made the case Daniel was the bully the whole time, this was years before the show. He actually makes some good points. It's interesting the show kinda picks up on this idea (though not as exaggerated)

Too funny..Good find
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:21 am
  • Can't wait to check out Rached. Cuckoo's Nest is my all time favorite movie. She's a great actress too. Glad to hear it's solid.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:46 am
  • Apologies if I'm repeating myself here (I can't remember!)...
    LOVED these listed below. And I am a notoriously lazy "watcher", if you know what I mean. I always have books I am reading, when it is leisure time. In contrast, my father always said he needed more reading time, because he spent so much time watching things on TV.

The Salisbury Poisonings (4 episodes of one hour approx) - UK
    War of the Worlds (8 episodes of one hour approx) - UK/French
    Years and Years (6 episodes of one hour approx) - UK

Lovecraft Country - watched first episode and enjoyed it. Haven't watched further yet, and I'd appreciate any opinions, please!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pm
  • Aros wrote:It doesn't really strike me as a series meant to continue, it felt like a solid one off series, but then again I could see the potential for one if they really wanted to.

Weird thing about that show, which I have to say, I totally loved, was that last year I sat down to write a television show almost exactly in the same format.

It was very interesting how similar the characters were to the characters I'd developed, the pace of the story, the manner of story telling, going back and forth in time for each. It felt like I was watching a very re-written and completed version of what I had started, which was super neat.

The point I was going to make in all of that, however, was that my whole thought process going in was in regards to The Expanse, which I absolutely love. I thought it would be neat to bridge the gap from our modern times to the time leading up to that of the first season of The Expanse. My first season was going to be a time period of the trip from Earth to Mars and basically popping the tent for the first colony. All the filler throughout the season was jumping back and forth in time for each character. Anyways, you get the drift.

The subsequent seasons would each span 20-30 years, with aging apparent throughout the seasons, the Mars colony expanding rapidly, the technology expanding rapidly, till what, 6-8 seasons and we're looking at The Expanse...

Anyways, loved Away, it was great.
    HHawk121
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information