Do Not Sell My Personal Information

R/c truck exhaust gasket question

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
R/c truck exhaust gasket question
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm
  • My RC nitro monster truck has been going really well, but I have hit another cursed problem, which I have to seek help for.

The muffler/manifold assembly fell off the engine on Friday. I had no idea; just drove the truck over to refill it, and realised it had partially detached. The long screws and split/spring washers are still there (trapped in place by other structures) but the little gasket has gone (or maybe it simply disintegrated). The gasket was about 30mm long and 10mm deep (about 1.5 x 0.5 inches), with the “letterbox” rect** cutout for the exhaust port being a lot of this, and two holes for the screws at the ends.

Supposedly, likely disintegration of the gasket is what caused the screws to become loose under the intense operating vibrations in the first place, so there is lots of stuff on RC forums about not having a gasket at all, getting “gasket paper” roll from an auto supplies shop and cutting my own replacement, OR using some goo in a tube called RTV (room temperature vulcanising) silicone gasket maker, to “make” a gasket. This RTV seems to have a lot of support on forums, over cutting a gasket from a roll.

I’ve got NO problem cutting out a new gasket from a roll, but it is making the holes for the screws I would not know how to do; the material won't be able to have holes actually drilled in it (would just shred).

Please, can anyone give me any advice? Thanks!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: R/c truck exhaust gasket question
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:56 pm
  • This stuff works really good too. I would ask in the forums if people have tried it for your usage. If RTV is for auto use, this might be just as good if not better. Works great on cars. And comes in hardening and non hardening forms. The one listed here says specific to manifolds.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... 1-sealant/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:34 am
  • Thank you, KitsapGuy! I am gradually getting more acclimatised to my nitro R/C truck, but it keeps serving me up new "problems"! However, I know from repeated advice that if I'm to operate R/C models, I simply HAVE to embrace constant maintenance issues. I need to be more observant, and keep checking for screws becoming loose, etc. I'm not sure how I didn't hear a difference in sound, when the muffler came loose from the engine (fortunately still attached to the chassis, so it wasn't lost).

My Thunder Tiger model is obsolete, so I have to hunt parts down which are specific for it. I don't want to pay a significant amount for a tiny gasket, if I can effect repairs myself, by making a new gasket, or using this RTV silicone material.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:My RC nitro monster truck has been going really well, but I have hit another cursed problem, which I have to seek help for.

The muffler/manifold assembly fell off the engine on Friday. I had no idea; just drove the truck over to refill it, and realised it had partially detached. The long screws and split/spring washers are still there (trapped in place by other structures) but the little gasket has gone (or maybe it simply disintegrated). The gasket was about 30mm long and 10mm deep (about 1.5 x 0.5 inches), with the “letterbox” rect** cutout for the exhaust port being a lot of this, and two holes for the screws at the ends.

Supposedly, likely disintegration of the gasket is what caused the screws to become loose under the intense operating vibrations in the first place, so there is lots of stuff on RC forums about not having a gasket at all, getting “gasket paper” roll from an auto supplies shop and cutting my own replacement, OR using some goo in a tube called RTV (room temperature vulcanising) silicone gasket maker, to “make” a gasket. This RTV seems to have a lot of support on forums, over cutting a gasket from a roll.

I’ve got NO problem cutting out a new gasket from a roll, but it is making the holes for the screws I would not know how to do; the material won't be able to have holes actually drilled in it (would just shred).

Please, can anyone give me any advice? Thanks!

Mold your own and while it is still soft put the screws through where they go.
    the goo will harden around the screws and your good to go.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am
  • I wouldn't use RTV for an exhaust gasket, as it's not rated for high temps. For an exhaust gasket I'd use a piece of an unused auto exhaust gasket. Surely you have a petrol-head friend with an unused one laying around in his garage?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 am
  • I’d go with the high temp permatex gasket maker.

If you want to use the roll of gasket material to make your own, try heating up a straight paper clip or similar item to just burn (push) through the material. Use something close to the same size of your screw/bolt. I wouldn’t use the screw/bolt itself because heating it may reduce the hardness of its threads.

I’ve done similar on other applications successfully.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:I wouldn't use RTV for an exhaust gasket, as it's not rated for high temps. For an exhaust gasket I'd use a piece of an unused auto exhaust gasket. Surely you have a petrol-head friend with an unused one laying around in his garage?

Actually there are “high temp” versions that would probably work just fine.

The auto exhaust gasket you’re suggesting would most likely be WAY to thick.
    The gasket he’s talking about is barely thicker than a couple sheets of standard copy paper.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Personally, The permatex is ok. but I would put a paper gasket in. I have done a lot of things with my vehicles in the past. Helped my dad rebuild a tractor engine back in my youth. We built gaskets out of the gasket material you are talking about and I have some of that handy all the time in case of necessity. I use the permatex just to hold the gasket in place so it wont shift while I am installing the valve cover gaskets or other engine parts. A thin layer on the gasket also seals it to both parts so there is no exhaust or gas problem. Also done with water pumps and the thermostats. The only problem with this is that when you have to take it apart for some reason or other, you will have to scrape all the old gasket out. If you use just the permatex, you will have to ensure it is clean on both sides too on the surface that you are connecting. Clean, dry and not oily at all as the permatex will not seal for you.

BTW, Permatex is a name brand of RTV for vehicles. It comes in a few different flavors depending on usage as well.

I remember using a ball peen hammer (round on one side and flat on the other) to make a gasket for a thermostat manifold. Just barely tap it and it cut the paper ever so lightly. Then a pen knife to finish the job. Exacto knife will work now.
    We put the paper unformed on the manifold and tapped the paper on the manifold hole.

Just my 3 Pesos.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 am
  • Thanks everyone, for your replies and advice/suggestions. I've now got a sheet of "Permaseal" 0.8mm (about 1/32") thickness gasket material, from which I'm going to try making an exhaust gasket for my RC truck. Thanks to everyone for advice and suggestions, and as the folks in the shop said, I can always try the RTV goo gasket maker, if I'm not happy with it.

I just have to decide the easiest and most accurate way of defining the cross-sectional area required for the gasket, ie, by applying something coloured to the exhaust port, to imprint it onto the gasket paper. Gotta be easier and just as accurate as a pile of measuring/drawing!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:35 am
  • Small sheet of paper with lines for school and cut it close...then take a pencil and poke a hole in the bolt holes and make a form for you to put on the gasket material. Basically a template. You can see the frame you are trying to match thru the school ruled paper for the most part and pencil in the framework to be transferred to the gasket material. Then an exacto knife to do the work.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm
  • Thank you, SF80! Great advice, as usual. Will have truck up and running later today, I reckon. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:07 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Thank you, SF80! Great advice, as usual. Will have truck up and running later today, I reckon. :D

You the man...I am just a seahawk fan.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information