Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roman History Books

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Roman History Books
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 am
  • I’ve always had a fascination with ancient history, particularly Roman, but have never taken the time to really dial in and study it outside a few random searches, wiki pages, etc.

Does anybody know of any good Ancient Roman history books that give a nice overview of the happenings, rulers, and things?

Would be open to Greek or Egyptian as well.
    HawkSince87
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Roman History Books
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm
  • Just watch Gladiator. You should be good to go after that.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Tacitus, I suppose. He covers a good long period.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm
  • History or Discovery Channel had a long series of Rome and it's inception to it's fall, might just want to look there also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 pm
  • HawkSince87 wrote:I’ve always had a fascination with ancient history, particularly Roman, but have never taken the time to really dial in and study it outside a few random searches, wiki pages, etc.

Does anybody know of any good Ancient Roman history books that give a nice overview of the happenings, rulers, and things?

Would be open to Greek or Egyptian as well.

Dan Carlin has a fantastic series of podcasts on the topic
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:Just watch Gladiator. You should be good to go after that.

Yeah, no.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:35 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:Just watch Gladiator. You should be good to go after that.

hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 pm
  • Quintessential, but take you time working through the volumes:
    The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 pm
  • "Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be
    First it killed the Romans, and now it's killing me."

Seriously, I studied Latin for 3 years in the horrible boarding school I went to (a Church school; I think you folks call them parochial schools?) - not that I had any choice. I did very well at first, but gradually my grades slipped to terrible, as I found it increasingly difficult.

Anyway, sorry, I digress. I remember there was a fictional TV series which was praised for its historical accuracy called "I, Claudius." It was a 1976 BBC Television adaptation of Robert Graves' books "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God." I didn't see or read any myself, but they were highly regarded.

There is also another fictional series ("Masters of Rome"; comprising 7 books), by an Australian author, Colleen McCullough. Again, I have never read them, but also highly regarded. The only book of hers I have read, "The Thorn Birds" is fantastic.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:38 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:"Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be

Seriously, I studied Latin for 3 years in the horrible boarding school I went to (a Church school; I think you folks call them parochial schools?) - not that I had any choice. I did very well at first, but gradually my grades slipped to terrible, as I found it increasingly difficult.

Anyway, sorry, I digress. I remember there was a fictional TV series which was praised for its historical accuracy called "I, Claudius." It was a 1976 BBC Television adaptation of Robert Graves' books "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God." I didn't see or read any myself, but they were highly regarded.

There is also another fictional series ("Masters of Rome"; comprising 7 books), by an Australian author, Colleen McCullough. Again, I have never read them, but also highly regarded. The only book of hers I have read, "The Thorn Birds" is fantastic.

I, Claudius is a fantastic historical novel. The sequel is not nearly as good. Also, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is my favorite play of his, and should be on any reading list as well.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:48 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:"Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be

A terrible thing about Latin is that since it was the official language of churches back in the late Renaissance, English linguists of the time decided (when they were codifying the official rules of English grammar) that such a crude and guttural language needed to be polished up by making it artificially conform to the rules of Latin. Which is where such stupid rules as "sentences can't end in a preposition" came from. Which led to the famous quote by Winston Churchill (after being publicly called out for this very infraction) that "This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!" And also, the joke about the Texan who's visiting the Harvard campus and asks a random person "'Scuse me, could y'all tell me where the library's at?" To which the person snobbishly replies "My good sir, this is Harvard. At Harvard we do not end our sentences with a preposition!" So the Texan thinks for a second, and says "Alrighty then. Could y'all tell me where the library's at, @$$h0le?"
    :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:17 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Just watch Gladiator. You should be good to go after that.

Yeah, no.

Ah come on, it's basically a prequel to The Joker, right?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm
  • Patrick Wyman has a good series of podcasts an the Roman empire called The Fall Of Rome.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 pm
  • The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon, Esquire. 12 volumes. My set is dated 1816.

It has everything you need to know about the subject. Or you could watch gladiator movies.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll look into some of these.
    HawkSince87
    NET Practice Squad

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information