Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's a good place to live near Seattle?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I'm thinking about moving back to Washington in a couple of years because of lot of friends I've known since childhood live there, some family is still there, and I just miss stepping outside and seeing Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, etc.

    I used to live in Yakima, and I'm guessing you guys think that place is a joke, but it's still home to be. Still, most the people I know moved to Seattle. I'm getting sick of living in the South. Pretty sure I don't want to live down town, but I haven't been there since I was a kid so obviously I would have little knowledge of the place.

    Any info is welcomed.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2199
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am


  • Snoqualmie valley
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 20165
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • Kind of depends on whether you like suburbia or so space, North Bend is a bit off the beaten track but right on I 90 so can get you to Seattle and Bellevue in about an hour if your wanting to.

    Also depends on whether your in the 1 percent or not.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33744
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Better visit here again nowadays before you decide you want to move back...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • Spanaway
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 20384
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • I'm in Sammamish, it's a great place to live. VERY low crime rate, great schools and easy access to Tiger Mt. and everything along I-90 for hiking and outdoor stuff. It's pricey, but we bought an older house to be able to afford living out there. Best decision we ever made was moving from Renton to Samm.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16370
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Its all about your budget
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3540
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


  • I just moved back to Seattle and I’m currently looking to buy a house. I made a thread similar to this a few months ago trying to get ideas of where to live right outside of Seattle. I don’t mean to take over your thread but here is what I’ve been looking at. We have a budget of about 500-600K. That pretty much excludes anywhere in Seattle except for down south like Skyway. We want to be as close to Seattle as possible. We originally were looking at Renton which is fairly affordable but decided we don’t want to deal with all the traffic and highways that go through the city. We are currently looking at Burien, Tukwila, and have recently started looking up north at Shoreline, Edmonds, and Lake Forest Park.

    The market is really slow right now, might take us a while to find a house. People just aren’t selling their houses in the fall and winter it seems like. There are some great areas close to Seattle, it is just about fixing the one that is a great fit for you. I think we like Burien the most as it has a really nice downtown and has easy access to multiple freeways. The market there is actually quite a bit more than areas of Renton which surprised us. We’ve been looking nearly four months now, hoping to find a house soon.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4239
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


  • I bought my place back in '04 just south of Burien in Des Moines down by the marina. I live in a nice quiet area, good elementary school, minimal crime and easy access to freeways. There are certain areas of Burien, Des Moines and Renton that I would avoid for sure, but other areas within those cities are perfectly fine.

    Whatever you do, if you are looking at Burien, Tukwila, Des Moines or SeaTac, stay as far away from Pacific Highway/Hwy 99 as you can.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3540
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


  • McNeil Island.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6170
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


  • SmokinHawk wrote:Umatilla.

    FIFY



    The good news Rings is that you'll get to watch the Seahawks every Sunday if you move back to the Seattle area. :irishdrinkers:
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24628
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Umatilla.

    FIFY



    The good news Rings is that you'll get to watch the Seahawks every Sunday if you move backto the Seattle area. :irishdrinkers:


    That's funny. The guy in Vancouver, WA, is unironically ripping on where people live(d). I suppose it's not so bad on those occasional days when the wind shifts.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6170
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Umatilla.

    FIFY



    The good news Rings is that you'll get to watch the Seahawks every Sunday if you move backto the Seattle area. :irishdrinkers:


    That's funny. The guy in Vancouver, WA, is unironically ripping on where people live(d). I suppose it's not so bad on those occasional days when the wind shifts.

    Not "people", just you.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24628
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Uncle Si wrote:Snoqualmie valley


    chris98251 wrote:Kind of depends on whether you like suburbia or so space, North Bend is a bit off the beaten track but right on I 90 so can get you to Seattle and Bellevue in about an hour if your wanting to.


    Both of you shut the hell up.

    North Bend sucks even worse than rest of Western Washington, and that's saying a lot. We get literally twice as much average annual rainfall as Seattle, winds are constantly ripping down the I-90 corridor when the rest of Western Washington is calm, the Snoqualmie river floods basically every year, and we get at least a dozen power outages a year due to the constantly super saturated ground, and winds, causing trees to come down.

    We're way the hell out in the boonies and it takes forever to get anywhere. State route 202 sucks, everyone goes 10-15 mph under the speed limit, passing zones are few and far between, and there's usually too much oncoming traffic to pass anyway. The I-90/HWY 18 interchange is a dumpster fire of epic proportions with lines a mile or more long to get off of I-90 on a daily basis. Traffic slows to a crawl trying to get through Issaquah on I-90 so be prepared to spend much of your life sitting in a traffic jam to get anywhere that has anything fun/interesting to do.

    The town gets overrun with lowland tourons every single weekend, which is super weird because there's damn near nothing to do. There's like 1 decent restaurant, but it's always so busy that you might as well just go down to Issaquah because it'll probably take just as long. There is zero night life unless you like watching the town drunks get in fights and slowly kill themselves with booze at the sad rundown little local dive bars. Oh, we have an outlet mall, which also sucks but is probably the towns best feature. The schools are overcrowded and the library is the size of a shed. We don't even have our own police department. We rely on the like 2 or 3 police from the next town over which works out about as well as you would expect.

    The people? Ugh. Everyone is either a super far left progressive socialist libtard hippie that goes through life in a weed induced haze and thinks patchouli is a perfectly adequate substitute for a shower, or basically Alex Jones but dumber and crazier. A couple years ago there was a guy that murdered his whole family, set his house on fire, and then went and hid in his secret SHTF bunker that he had built into the side of Rattlesnake Mountain. The only surprising thing about that story is that it doesn't happen a lot more often with all the crazy redneck whackadoodles around here.

    Because we're basically in the mountains we have cougars, bears, wolves, and coyotes. Hope you don't have any pets because those are easy pickings. You'll let them outside one day and never see them again. Like the outdoors? Two guys were just recently riding their bikes on a local trail and one of them got mauled, and the other killed, by a cougar. So if the crazy ass meth'd out hillbillies don't get you, the wildlife probably will.

    Do you like water? A couple weeks ago the town water supply was found to be contaminated with E. coli so we were under a boil order for about 2 weeks. Last year there was an FBI investigation after the water supply was found to have been tampered with and contaminated with some sort of white pellets. The waste water treatment plant is right next to the south fork of the Snoqualmie river, about a block away from the main downtown intersection, reeks like ass, and is constantly undergoing maintenance or construction or something. So I'm sure it's probably totally fine.

    We had a random massive gas explosion downtown a few years ago that destroyed several buildings and blew out windows and doors for blocks. There was a senior living facility that had all of it's windows blown out so they just put sheets of plywood over the windows and left it like that for months. Meanwhile, many of the other homes and businesses had brand new windows and doors within days.

    I could go on, but I figure that's probably unnecessary at this point. So yeah, other than the fact that basically every single thing about it sucks, it's pretty nice here. Highly recommended.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • That escalated Quickly.
    Ron
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16370
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Chapow wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Snoqualmie valley


    chris98251 wrote:Kind of depends on whether you like suburbia or so space, North Bend is a bit off the beaten track but right on I 90 so can get you to Seattle and Bellevue in about an hour if your wanting to.


    Both of you shut the hell up.

    North Bend sucks even worse than rest of Western Washington, and that's saying a lot. We get literally twice as much average annual rainfall as Seattle, winds are constantly ripping down the I-90 corridor when the rest of Western Washington is calm, the Snoqualmie river floods basically every year, and we get at least a dozen power outages a year due to the constantly super saturated ground, and winds, causing trees to come down.

    We're way the hell out in the boonies and it takes forever to get anywhere. State route 202 sucks, everyone goes 10-15 mph under the speed limit, passing zones are few and far between, and there's usually too much oncoming traffic to pass anyway. The I-90/HWY 18 interchange is a dumpster fire of epic proportions with lines a mile or more long to get off of I-90 on a daily basis. Traffic slows to a crawl trying to get through Issaquah on I-90 so be prepared to spend much of your life sitting in a traffic jam to get anywhere that has anything fun/interesting to do.

    The town gets overrun with lowland tourons every single weekend, which is super weird because there's damn near nothing to do. There's like 1 decent restaurant, but it's always so busy that you might as well just go down to Issaquah because it'll probably take just as long. There is zero night life unless you like watching the town drunks get in fights and slowly kill themselves with booze at the sad rundown little local dive bars. Oh, we have an outlet mall, which also sucks but is probably the towns best feature. The schools are overcrowded and the library is the size of a shed. We don't even have our own police department. We rely on the like 2 or 3 police from the next town over which works out about as well as you would expect.

    The people? Ugh. Everyone is either a super far left progressive socialist libtard hippie that goes through life in a weed induced haze and thinks patchouli is a perfectly adequate substitute for a shower, or basically Alex Jones but dumber and crazier. A couple years ago there was a guy that murdered his whole family, set his house on fire, and then went and hid in his secret SHTF bunker that he had built into the side of Rattlesnake Mountain. The only surprising thing about that story is that it doesn't happen a lot more often with all the crazy redneck whackadoodles around here.

    Because we're basically in the mountains we have cougars, bears, wolves, and coyotes. Hope you don't have any pets because those are easy pickings. You'll let them outside one day and never see them again. Like the outdoors? Two guys were just recently riding their bikes on a local trail and one of them got mauled, and the other killed, by a cougar. So if the crazy ass meth'd out hillbillies don't get you, the wildlife probably will.

    Do you like water? A couple weeks ago the town water supply was found to be contaminated with E. coli so we were under a boil order for about 2 weeks. Last year there was an FBI investigation after the water supply was found to have been tampered with and contaminated with some sort of white pellets. The waste water treatment plant is right next to the south fork of the Snoqualmie river, about a block away from the main downtown intersection, reeks like ass, and is constantly undergoing maintenance or construction or something. So I'm sure it's probably totally fine.

    We had a random massive gas explosion downtown a few years ago that destroyed several buildings and blew out windows and doors for blocks. There was a senior living facility that had all of it's windows blown out so they just put sheets of plywood over the windows and left it like that for months. Meanwhile, many of the other homes and businesses had brand new windows and doors within days.

    I could go on, but I figure that's probably unnecessary at this point. So yeah, other than the fact that basically every single thing about it sucks, it's pretty nice here. Highly recommended.


    That was hilarious.
    My best friend and I grew up in Redmond...........
    7 years ago he got fed up with the Liberals in Redmond and built a new home in North Bend.
    That lasted about 3 years.
    He now resides in Boise.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1440
    Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:45 pm


  • A few of my favorites :

    Bellevue
    Woodinville
    Bainbridge island
    Carnation



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2512
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • I lived in Kirkland for a long time, which I liked. Good luck finding anything that isn't a $h!t for $500-$600k, though.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • toffee wrote:A few of my favorites :

    Bellevue
    Woodinville
    Bainbridge island
    Carnation


    It takes longer to get anywhere you'd actually want to be from Carnation than it does from North Bend. The annual flooding is significantly worse. It's significantly smaller so there is very little in the way of stores, restaurants, anything to do, etc. The closest real grocery store is a half hour round trip to Duvall. There's really no reason to go there unless you want to take your kids out to Remlinger Farms for a day or something.

    Really, I'd just cross anywhere in the Snoqualmie Valley off your list unless you like places that suck.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:I lived in Kirkland for a long time, which I liked. Good luck finding anything that isn't a $h!t for $500-$600k, though.


    Image

    This is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Kirkland. :P
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I lived in Kirkland for a long time, which I liked. Good luck finding anything that isn't a $h!t for $500-$600k, though.


    Image

    This is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Kirkland. :P

    LOL. Depends on which part of Kirkland, to be honest. Totem Lake wasn't like that. The top & east side of Rose Hill, on the other hand...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I lived in Kirkland for a long time, which I liked. Good luck finding anything that isn't a $h!t for $500-$600k, though.


    Image

    This is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Kirkland. :P

    LOL. Depends on which part of Kirkland, to be honest. Totem Lake wasn't like that. The top & east side of Rose Hill, on the other hand...


    And basically all of Kirkland west of 405.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:And basically all of Kirkland west of 405.

    I wouldn't go that far.

    Also for anyone who's interested, the Kirkland Wine Festival every summer is a good time.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • Chapow wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Snoqualmie valley


    chris98251 wrote:Kind of depends on whether you like suburbia or so space, North Bend is a bit off the beaten track but right on I 90 so can get you to Seattle and Bellevue in about an hour if your wanting to.


    Both of you shut the hell up.

    North Bend sucks even worse than rest of Western Washington, and that's saying a lot. We get literally twice as much average annual rainfall as Seattle, winds are constantly ripping down the I-90 corridor when the rest of Western Washington is calm, the Snoqualmie river floods basically every year, and we get at least a dozen power outages a year due to the constantly super saturated ground, and winds, causing trees to come down.

    We're way the hell out in the boonies and it takes forever to get anywhere. State route 202 sucks, everyone goes 10-15 mph under the speed limit, passing zones are few and far between, and there's usually too much oncoming traffic to pass anyway. The I-90/HWY 18 interchange is a dumpster fire of epic proportions with lines a mile or more long to get off of I-90 on a daily basis. Traffic slows to a crawl trying to get through Issaquah on I-90 so be prepared to spend much of your life sitting in a traffic jam to get anywhere that has anything fun/interesting to do.

    The town gets overrun with lowland tourons every single weekend, which is super weird because there's damn near nothing to do. There's like 1 decent restaurant, but it's always so busy that you might as well just go down to Issaquah because it'll probably take just as long. There is zero night life unless you like watching the town drunks get in fights and slowly kill themselves with booze at the sad rundown little local dive bars. Oh, we have an outlet mall, which also sucks but is probably the towns best feature. The schools are overcrowded and the library is the size of a shed. We don't even have our own police department. We rely on the like 2 or 3 police from the next town over which works out about as well as you would expect.

    The people? Ugh. Everyone is either a super far left progressive socialist libtard hippie that goes through life in a weed induced haze and thinks patchouli is a perfectly adequate substitute for a shower, or basically Alex Jones but dumber and crazier. A couple years ago there was a guy that murdered his whole family, set his house on fire, and then went and hid in his secret SHTF bunker that he had built into the side of Rattlesnake Mountain. The only surprising thing about that story is that it doesn't happen a lot more often with all the crazy redneck whackadoodles around here.

    Because we're basically in the mountains we have cougars, bears, wolves, and coyotes. Hope you don't have any pets because those are easy pickings. You'll let them outside one day and never see them again. Like the outdoors? Two guys were just recently riding their bikes on a local trail and one of them got mauled, and the other killed, by a cougar. So if the crazy ass meth'd out hillbillies don't get you, the wildlife probably will.

    Do you like water? A couple weeks ago the town water supply was found to be contaminated with E. coli so we were under a boil order for about 2 weeks. Last year there was an FBI investigation after the water supply was found to have been tampered with and contaminated with some sort of white pellets. The waste water treatment plant is right next to the south fork of the Snoqualmie river, about a block away from the main downtown intersection, reeks like ass, and is constantly undergoing maintenance or construction or something. So I'm sure it's probably totally fine.

    We had a random massive gas explosion downtown a few years ago that destroyed several buildings and blew out windows and doors for blocks. There was a senior living facility that had all of it's windows blown out so they just put sheets of plywood over the windows and left it like that for months. Meanwhile, many of the other homes and businesses had brand new windows and doors within days.

    I could go on, but I figure that's probably unnecessary at this point. So yeah, other than the fact that basically every single thing about it sucks, it's pretty nice here. Highly recommended.


    So your a city boy and a pu$$y, that's cool it takes all types, lived in Gold Bar, Monroe, Twisp, you have to be smart and not buy on a flood plain, as far as the Wildlife, you can't have something that looks like a Rabbit as a pet, Owl, and Eagles will grab them during the day and if you let them out you need to pay attention and let them back in or have something big enough to not make it worth while.

    Think the wild life in Renton is more Dangerous as well as the drivers that don't know what a merge is, a turn signal or that changing three lanes all at once isn't looked upon well.

    Something to do, again it depends on what you like, I would rather go to where I want to do something rather then have it on top of me and all the noise and people that go with it.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33744
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:So your a city boy and a pu$$y, that's cool it takes all types, lived in Gold Bar, Monroe, Twisp, you have to be smart and not buy on a flood plain, as far as the Wildlife, you can't have something that looks like a Rabbit as a pet, Owl, and Eagles will grab them during the day and if you let them out you need to pay attention and let them back in or have something big enough to not make it worth while.

    Think the wild life in Renton is more Dangerous as well as the drivers that don't know what a merge, turn signal or that changing three lanes all at once isn't looked upon well.

    Something to do, again it depends on what you like, I would rather go to where I want to do something rather then have it on top of me and all the noise and people that go with it.

    Not everyone bases their choice of where to live solely on the market butcher greeting them by name when they walk in.

    ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Chapow wrote:And basically all of Kirkland west of 405.

    I wouldn't go that far.

    Also for anyone who's interested, the Kirkland Wine Festival every summer is a good time.


    Yeah, I mean, obviously I'm being a generalizing @$$h0le. I'm sure not everyone in Kirkland is a douchebag. Some, I assume, are good people. ;)
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • chris98251 wrote:So your a city boy and a pu$$y...


    That's deeply hurtful Chris. I hope you're proud of yourself.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:So your a city boy and a pu$$y...


    That's deeply hurtful Chris. I hope you're proud of yourself.


    Not a shot, was called the same thing moving from South Everett to Twisp when I got there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33744
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I grew up in Snoqualmie valley. Wouldn't hesitate to move back if I could.

    Carnation and Duvall have developed quite nicely around the valley as well.

    Sammamish and Issaquah as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 20165
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • It really depends on what he is looking for. What price range? How close to the city? What kind of area and community are you looking for? There is an area around Seattle for pretty much everyone, just depends on your ideal living situation.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4239
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


  • Not sure how far out of town you are intrested in but I think Tacoma is starting to be a pretty desirable spot and is not nearly the price of Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, etc.

    I lived in Graham and if you want privacy you can get a big house fit under $500k but your commute will be 3hrs a day.

    Coveington, Maple Valley, Lake Stevens, are decent value.

    Really depends what you are looking for.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5082
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • FYI for OP (or anyone else considering North Bend).

    The neighborhood I live in is a bit east of downtown North Bend and is technically unincorporated King County. In town, or closer to town, is more expensive.

    A house in my neighborhood was listed for sale on Friday. 1400 sq. ft. 3 bedroom 1.5 bathroom, built in 1983 and kind of updated, but cheaply. By that I mean things like, it still has popcorn ceilings, baseboard heating, cheap carpet, cheap finishes, etc. Looks like it may have been a flip, but not sure on that. It does not have a garage because the garage has been converted into more living space (the house used to be 1000 sq. ft.). Lot size is roughly 1/3 of an acre.

    It was listed at $450k on Friday. There was an open house on Saturday. The sellers accepted an offer after less than 48hrs on the market and it is now pending.

    I don't know if this typical of the market right now or not, but I was surprised at the $450k list price (that seems quite high to me for that house in this neighborhood) and really surprised that they got an offer so quickly. Granted, I don't know what the offer was, but I can't imagine it was too much less than the listing price since it was accepted after being on the market for less than 48hrs.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • I'd be surprised if anyone has trouble getting market value or better for a home in the valley.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 20165
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • I bought my house in Des Moines for $267k back in 2005, and recently had it appraised after we got a wild hair up our butts potentially wanting to move East or South to get a house with more land. My place appraised for just under $500k, but we decided to hold on to it instead of having my 12 year old start at a new middle school in a new city.

    House prices have dipped a bit locally as of late, but are still in the crazy price range.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3540
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.


    Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.


    Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.


    Can I ask what you do for a living?

    I absolutely love the Entiat/Chelan area, we vacation there at least 2-3 times a summer. But unless you're retired, I don't know how anyone can live in a place like Entiat with no commerce other than a couple fruit stands and a golf course.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17952
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.


    Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.



    We have an office in downtown Wenatchee and I drove through Entiat this past summer. GREAT place.

    I would make that 30ish minute commute daily with zero issues
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3540
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


  • Uncle Si wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone has trouble getting market value or better for a home in the valley.


    I'd be surprised if anyone has trouble getting market value or better for a home pretty much anywhere in King County. My whole point was that that seems quite a bit above market value for that house in this neighborhood.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • 2_0_6 wrote:I bought my house in Des Moines for $267k back in 2005, and recently had it appraised after we got a wild hair up our butts potentially wanting to move East or South to get a house with more land. My place appraised for just under $500k, but we decided to hold on to it instead of having my 12 year old start at a new middle school in a new city.

    House prices have dipped a bit locally as of late, but are still in the crazy price range.


    That's what I thought too, but the house that I just posted about represents a significant increase. My neighborhood has many of that exact same house and lot size. I've never heard of one selling for more than the very low $400's before.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.


    Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.


    Can I ask what you do for a living?

    I absolutely love the Entiat/Chelan area, we vacation there at least 2-3 times a summer. But unless you're retired, I don't know how anyone can live in a place like Entiat with no commerce other than a couple fruit stands and a golf course.


    Not a problem at all. I work for US Bank's commercial lending team for Central Washington. Loans to farmers/orchardists, business owners, etc. The office is in Wenatchee so it's a 30 minute commute each way. Not terrible.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • Chapow wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:I bought my house in Des Moines for $267k back in 2005, and recently had it appraised after we got a wild hair up our butts potentially wanting to move East or South to get a house with more land. My place appraised for just under $500k, but we decided to hold on to it instead of having my 12 year old start at a new middle school in a new city.

    House prices have dipped a bit locally as of late, but are still in the crazy price range.


    That's what I thought too, but the house that I just posted about represents a significant increase. My neighborhood has many of that exact same house and lot size. I've never heard of one selling for more than the very low $400's before.



    I was mainly talking about houses in the Des Moines area. Seems like there are more houses for sales than buyers lately, mostly due to the time of year I'm sure.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3540
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:It's absolutely wild to me how much homes on the west side go for. In April we bought a 1300 sq.ft. 3 bed/2 bath house with 2 car garage built in 1997 and completely turn key in Entiat WA (very small town in between Wenatchee and Chelan) for $260K.

    Yeah, but you live in the middle of nowhere.


    Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.



    We have an office in downtown Wenatchee and I drove through Entiat this past summer. GREAT place.

    I would make that 30ish minute commute daily with zero issues


    Entiat is fantastic. You're spot on, 30 minutes to work and 15 minutes to the lake from our house.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • This is the difference in tastes, Roland wants a Golds Gym on every corner and a coffee stand next door, some prefer a small down where you go someplace and they ask how the kids are doing and know your order before you say it at a coffee stand.

    I would drive 30 minutes no traffic both ways moving versus 30 to 45 minutes to go 5 to 9 miles one way and 1 hour plus to get back home sitting in exhaust and dealing with people cutting you off and lane diving. But that's just me.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33744
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • My Mom lives a few minutes from you JG, She has a place on the Wenatchee side of the river, north of the dam right across for Turtle Rock.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5082
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • I think I'm familiar with that little neighborhood there, Wen. I imagine it's an awesome spot, the trees turning colors over at Lincoln Rock Park are beautiful right now. The dream is to eventually buy a home on the river itself, either outside of Entiat or outside of Orondo.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.

    I can't imagine having to live in the middle of nowhere to get a decent house price. I'm moving to Miami, where homes are half the price of Seattle and almost everything else is better, plus it's a major metropolitan area. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31781
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • Uncle Si wrote:I grew up in Snoqualmie valley. Wouldn't hesitate to move back if I could.

    Carnation and Duvall have developed quite nicely around the valley as well.

    Sammamish and Issaquah as well.


    Looks like the annual flooding in the Snoqualmie valley started early this year.

    https://patch.com/washington/across-wa/ ... lmie-river

    NWS forecasters expect flooding in Fall City, Carnation and Duvall, with swift waters pouring through farms, neighborhoods and roads. Several television news crews captured video of cars underwater in Carnation and several flooded properties near Fall City. NWS said Snoqualmie Falls could reach one of its top ten strongest flows on record. County officials said floodwaters will require significant road closures in the afternoon, and several were already in place by Tuesday morning.


    As I posted earlier in this thread, this is common. This happens every year to varying degrees. Often times several times per year. If you choose to live in the Snoqualmie valley, especially the lower valley, this is what you're signing up for.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3586
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

    I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.

    I can't imagine having to live in the middle of nowhere to get a decent house price. I'm moving to Miami, where homes are half the price of Seattle and almost everything else is better, plus it's a major metropolitan area. :)

    Make sure your house is on stilts, and wind proof. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20909
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Next


It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests