Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's a good place to live near Seattle?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.

I can't imagine having to live in the middle of nowhere to get a decent house price. I'm moving to Miami, where homes are half the price of Seattle and almost everything else is better, plus it's a major metropolitan area. :)

You couldn't imagine when you lived in Seattle for how many years? C'mon man.

We're perfectly happy where we are. 300+ days of sunshine, full 4 seasons, an hour away from a great ski hill, 15 minutes from a world-class Lake/tourist destination, amazing hiking and infrastructure for cycling, boating, kayaking/paddleboarding, extremely cheap costs of living, and I could go on.

You couldn't pay me to live in a metro area. Not Seattle, not Portland, Chicago, Phoenix, Miami, LA. Not interested.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Hey man we've got a post office, grocery store, pub, Mexican restaurant and gas station. I heard we're getting added to some Washington state maps next year too.

I just couldn't imagine having to spend twice that to get something similar on the west side, THEN dealing with the daily rain, commute times, population density and everything else that comes with it.

I can't imagine having to live in the middle of nowhere to get a decent house price. I'm moving to Miami, where homes are half the price of Seattle and almost everything else is better, plus it's a major metropolitan area. :)

I don't know man, hot and worse yet, humid 9 months out of the year. Pass
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Everyone is different. Some people want to live in the city, others people want to be out in the country. Not sure why people judge others on how they want to live. What works for you might not work for the next person. For me personally, I like to be near the city.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Make sure your house is on stilts, and wind proof. :twisted:

At least I can protect against natural weather events in Miami. What the hell can YOU do when Rainier blows?

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I don't know man, hot and worse yet, humid 9 months out of the year. Pass

I love the heat.

JG - Go to Miami Beach and do a bit of snorkeling in Key Biscayne National Park, then get back to me. There's more outdoors stuff to do than is available in the PNW.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Good points, everyone has their reasons for living where they live. Some because of price, others because they want to live away from the city but have good access to the city etc. We are about 15 miles from downtown Seattle where I work, so that's perfect for us. As far as outdoor stuff, it depends on what you are in to. I do a ton of hiking, jogging etc. so this area is perfect. There is a ridiculous number of trails to hit, or lakes etc. That being said w/out two solid incomes, no way in hell we could afford Sammamish. But we will retire there and be plenty happy. It's a damn nice place to live. Far enough from the city, but easy access to the city and/or all the outdoor stuff we are in to.
    Commute time is always a massive factor imo. I work 4/10's, so I couldn't imagine a 3 hour round trip commute on top of that. But it's crazy how many people work in Seattle but live a good 90 minutes away.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• No sunshine for half of every year just got way too old for me. Outdoor activities in dry, sunny weather are unilaterally more enjoyable to me.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:No sunshine for half of every year just got way too old for me. Outdoor activities in dry, sunny weather are unilaterally more enjoyable to me.

Your a fair weather person, but try skiing in Miami or snow boarding ? There is also the Hunting Seasons here for Elk and Ram. I know they hunt Alligators down there which we don't have but the point is we can Scuba Dive here also and the PNW supposedly has one of the best areas for doing this as well.

We have a variety of Outdoor things versus a steady source of one weather type of activities due to the changing weather patterns. Oh not to mention Mountain stuff which isn't down there as well.

Neither is better then the other just a matter of taste.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• What you learn around here is that a lot of it is in your mind. If you allow the rain to ruin your desire to get out and exercise or be outdoors, you'll have a tough time living here. We get a lot of rain, big deal. The weather here is rarely drastic, so that's a bonus. I used to complain about the weather all the time, but just decided to get over it and go outside and do my thing anyway. Obviously the nicer days are better, but you can still enjoy yourself in rain or cold conditions. Layer up. All a matter of taste overall. I can't imagine living somewhere as humid at the East Coast or as hot as Arizona. Just like the same people can't imagine living in Wa. State where it supposedly rains every day etc. My pops lived out in the Denver area. It's absolutely gorgeous out there, but the weather literally changes 2 or 3 times in a day. You could get snow and then 83 degrees or vice versa in a 12 hour period. You can get a massive hail blast and then 90 degrees 20 minutes later.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:What you learn around here is that a lot of it is in your mind. If you allow the rain to ruin your desire to get out and exercise or be outdoors, you'll have a tough time living here. We get a lot of rain, big deal. The weather here is rarely drastic, so that's a bonus. I used to complain about the weather all the time, but just decided to get over it and go outside and do my thing anyway. Obviously the nicer days are better, but you can still enjoy yourself in rain or cold conditions. Layer up. All a matter of taste overall. I can't imagine living somewhere as humid at the East Coast or as hot as Arizona. Just like the same people can't imagine living in Wa. State where it supposedly rains every day etc. My pops lived out in the Denver area. It's absolutely gorgeous out there, but the weather literally changes 2 or 3 times in a day. You could get snow and then 83 degrees or vice versa in a 12 hour period. You can get a massive hail blast and then 90 degrees 20 minutes later.

I've lived in Seattle, Phoenix, Miami, and rural Wisconsin; I've experienced living in all the extreme climates that exist on our planet.

Definitely Miami's weather for me. :) You are right about there being a large psychosomatic component, but for someone who likes to go cycling, it doesn't matter. Cycling in the rain, or even just wet ground while it's not raining, means your bike is a disgusting mess that takes a solid 30-40 minutes to properly clean after EACH AND EVERY RIDE for half or more of every year. If you have a piece of crap bike and don't clean it after ride, it's not as big of a deal; you'll just buy a new one in a few years, but for those of us who have a nice, expensive bike (mine retails for $5k), taking care of it is a lot of work when you are riding when it's wet outside. The temperatures didn't bother me, but everything being wet for 6-7 months straight very much did; and for a cyclist, that is objectively a pain in the ass that creates a lot of extra work; not something which is up for debate or subject to opinion. For some people, they're willing to do it and that's their choice. I chose otherwise.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• 5 Grand? Wow. I've heard some of those bikes are crazy expensive. There are a LOT of bike riders in Sammamish and along the 90 bridge where I do my foot commute. No offense, but a good portion of them are true a holes, but I guess that's for another thread :lol:
    I just like seeing people out exercising, so that's all a positive. My in-laws live in Green Valley, AZ near Tucson. I've hiked out there at Sabino Canyon and Madera Canyon. Incredible weather in the winter and spring for hiking. And it was cool to hike something totally different. Though I prefer trees and water etc. But, the 7 falls trail at Sabino was amazing. 7 water crossings and a massive water fall down in to a pool of water to swim in. In the middle of the desert. Unique to say the least.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Edmonds and Woodinville are two of my favorite places I’ve lived in Washington.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• Love Woodinville, really nice area and some nice houses away from the busy area's. But that whole area around the winery's and the baseball fields is solid. Fun to watch the Air Balloons as well, and the hiking trail from that area is really well maintained. I can't remember the name of it, but I did a half marathon there last year that had a really cool climb almost right away that took you too some farm land etc.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Not great at geography, but I'm pretty sure that Miami is not real close to Seattle. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Accurate. I used to live in Lynnwood, that section from Shoreline to downtown is painful. Almost as bad as that Southcenter Hill :pukeface:

The commute and traffic is exactly why I start work at 5:30am every day. Zero traffic drama in the morning, free bus back to Mercer Island and a quick drive home from the Park and Ride.
    Now when we lived in Renton, holy hell it was always brutal. 405 S Curves are straight out of hell, my wife works in Bellevue and it would take her an hour EACH way to go 10 flippen miles. Lame
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:5 Grand? Wow. I've heard some of those bikes are crazy expensive. There are a LOT of bike riders in Sammamish and along the 90 bridge where I do my foot commute. No offense, but a good portion of them are true a holes, but I guess that's for another thread :lol:
    I just like seeing people out exercising, so that's all a positive. My in-laws live in Green Valley, AZ near Tucson. I've hiked out there at Sabino Canyon and Madera Canyon. Incredible weather in the winter and spring for hiking. And it was cool to hike something totally different. Though I prefer trees and water etc. But, the 7 falls trail at Sabino was amazing. 7 water crossings and a massive water fall down in to a pool of water to swim in. In the middle of the desert. Unique to say the least.

I'm not offended, because I'm not one of those Pacific Northwest Proud to be a Cyclist Douchebags. I know who's winning if I get hit by a car. I'm a considerate cyclist. Now that doesn't mean I don't give a vehicle driver the bird if they are an inconsiderate twat to me (I don't care if a vehicle gets within a couple feet of me; but speeding off to make a right turn just in front of me, forcing me to brake, pisses me off), but I'm definitely not the kind of cyclist that vehicle drivers hate.

Also...$5,000 for a bike is tantamount to buying say, a Porsche 911 Turbo. It's a high-performance purchase that costs quite a bit of cash, but is nowhere near the obscene high end such as buying a Pagani or Bugatti. You can blow like $35k on a bike if you really want to.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• So what we have learned is Roland hates water, doesn't like rain, doesn't like to wash stuff. :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:So what we have learned is Roland hates water, doesn't like rain, doesn't like to wash stuff. :)

If you say so.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Shoot, so many people do their commute on their bikes. Saves a ton of coin in the long run and get some exercise. There's a couple people who ride the bus in the morning every day, after putting in 10-15 morning miles. Nice way to start a day no doubt.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:What you learn around here is that a lot of it is in your mind. If you allow the rain to ruin your desire to get out and exercise or be outdoors, you'll have a tough time living here. We get a lot of rain, big deal. The weather here is rarely drastic, so that's a bonus. I used to complain about the weather all the time, but just decided to get over it and go outside and do my thing anyway. Obviously the nicer days are better, but you can still enjoy yourself in rain or cold conditions. Layer up. All a matter of taste overall. I can't imagine living somewhere as humid at the East Coast or as hot as Arizona. Just like the same people can't imagine living in Wa. State where it supposedly rains every day etc. My pops lived out in the Denver area. It's absolutely gorgeous out there, but the weather literally changes 2 or 3 times in a day. You could get snow and then 83 degrees or vice versa in a 12 hour period. You can get a massive hail blast and then 90 degrees 20 minutes later.

When I moved here (Indiana)I never saw so much snow and brutal cold.
    The summers here can be both hot and humid..The fall here is more
    like the Seattle area in winter(rain).I cannot believe how many people
    get depressed here over rain..It doesn't bother me one bit ..I'll take the
    Seattle weather over here any day..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:04 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information