Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Star trekker

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Star trekker
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:13 am
  • I know many of you folks love hiking/trekking in the wonderful wilderness of the Pacific NW, and doubtless countless other places, so I wanted to share this.

Our daughter Jess (29) and her boyfriend are currently trekking in a group in Eastern Nepal. Today they are scheduled to be on the way to (or even on the way back from) the summit of Mera Peak (6,476m/21,246ft). It is classified as the highest trekking peak in this part of the Khumbu Himalaya Range. They have a 2-3 day "window" to get to the summit from a camp at the 5,700m/16,400ft level.

She communicated with us via email briefly a few days ago, but we will get no further contact for several days. Weather permitting, they'll hopefully see five of the six tallest mountains on Earth (Everest, Kangchenjunga, Lhotse, Makalu and Cho Oyu).

We're so proud of her, even though summiting Mera peak is absolutely NOT guaranteed. She is also a nervous (but frequent) flyer, and they accessed the trek by flying from Kathmandu to Tenzing–Hillary Airport, also known as Lukla Airport, which is regarded as one of the most dangerous airports on Earth.

The guides will send anyone who is not coping with the (altitude, etc) experience down the mountain; not negotiably. They are fully unionised and get decent rates of pay and conditions, with strict limits on the (spectacular) loads they carry, and they have autonomous authority of proceedings of the trek. Jess says all the trekkers absolutely are in awe of them, and there is a wonderful group camaraderie.

I'll send some photos when I get any; probably not until they get back to Kathmandu, which is not for a week.

Has anyone here been to the Himalayas?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information