Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Claim to Fame

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Claim to Fame
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:26 pm
  • Give me fame or give me fortune, I will take the money. Raising teenage sons I have learned how important fame and notoriety seems to be for this next generation. Add to this I have gone on a few dates lately where the ladies seemed more excited about talking about the famous people they knew then who they are or what they liked.

The topic here is what is your closest brush was fame? or are you already a celebrity....

I don't have very good stories but will kick things off.

When I was stationed in Germany Larry Fitzgerald put on a football camp for kids and my roomate (he was a Cardinals fan) and I got autographs and he even took a picture with me wearing my Hasselbeck jersey.

I ran into Pauly Shore in Vegas once and said ey Pauly and tapped his shoulder. He didn't appreciate me touching him.

I got coined by General Goldfine (Chief of Staff of the Air Force) back when he was just Colonel in the Air Force.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Re: Claim to Fame
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 pm
  • Getting gas in Preston, the guy that pulls behind at the gas station is Shawn Kemp. Never been one to bother people, I actually said “big fan of the Sonics” He replied “that’s awesome, what are you doing tonight? Want to get some food?” I went to, at the time, a teriyaki joint, and spent 1.5 hours talking with Shawn Kemp. He insisted on paying for the meal and it’s something I’ll never forget. I’m not famous at all but that’s my civilian story.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:04 pm
  • My mother's cousin's daughter is married to a very famous movie star. I've never met him but I did see their wedding pictures when they got married in the 70s. He wasn't that well known back then. At the time his father, also an actor, was more famous and seeing him in the pictures was more exciting to us.
    dbmack
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:23 pm
  • dbmack wrote:My mother's cousin's daughter is married to a very famous movie star. I've never met him but I did see their wedding pictures when they got married in the 70s. He wasn't that well known back then. At the time his father, also an actor, was more famous and seeing him in the pictures was more exciting to us.

I guess I can say my Sister is married to a guy that is cousins with a professional golfer. Never met the dude, but my sister says he’s an @$$h0le.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:44 pm
  • I produced and engineered a song (from my bedroom in 2005) that was featured on NBA 2k11 and then again on 2k16 called Little By Little by the Chicharones. It's the only worthwhile thing I've ever done.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 pm
  • I was Albertson's Junior Sportscaster a week before my 15th birthday in 1998. I met Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizz, and appeared on a Mariners radio broadcast during the third inning of a 2-0 Mariners win.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:55 pm
  • I was briefly a mod for a Seahawks fan site (twice).

I went to the same high school (but not at the same time) as one of the people Tiger Woods slept with.

I saw Dennis Kucinich (sp?) in the Iowa airport. He was (probably still is) really short.

I saw Mara Liasson (NPR and Fox News person) at a farmer's market in DC (I'm 95% sure it was her).

Oh, and a pedo from my home town was on Jerry Springer or some other show like that.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:44 am
  • HawkGA wrote:I was briefly a mod for a Seahawks fan site (twice).

I went to the same high school (but not at the same time) as one of the people Tiger Woods slept with.

I saw Dennis Kucinich (sp?) in the Iowa airport. He was (probably still is) really short.

I saw Mara Liasson (NPR and Fox News person) at a farmer's market in DC (I'm 95% sure it was her).

Oh, and a pedo from my home town was on Jerry Springer or some other show like that.

That mod thing is really cool. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:50 am
  • Met the late, great blues rock guitarist Jeff Healey after a show of his in San Diego. He was outside his tour bus chatting with fans and I joined in, shook his hand, etc. Very personable guy.

Met Sharon Osbourne (Ozzy's wife) at one of the Ozzfest shows I attended. It was quite early in the day, before the first bands came on the main or second stage. My ex and I were checking out where our seats were and she and a bodyguard came out from behind the stage to walk around and I guess do a last minute check on things. This was before the Osbournes reality show so I don't think many people knew it was her. She walked near by where we were and I just said Hi Sharon and she stopped and said hi and we ended up chatting for a minute or two. I thanked her for creating Ozzfest (it was originally her idea). She asked us how many of the festivals we had attended and who we were most looking forward to seeing that day, etc. Very nice lady.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 am
  • hedgehawk wrote:Getting gas in Preston, the guy that pulls behind at the gas station is Shawn Kemp. Never been one to bother people, I actually said “big fan of the Sonics” He replied “that’s awesome, what are you doing tonight? Want to get some food?” I went to, at the time, a teriyaki joint, and spent 1.5 hours talking with Shawn Kemp. He insisted on paying for the meal and it’s something I’ll never forget. I’m not famous at all but that’s my civilian story.

Was this while he was playing?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:19 am
  • In 1988, after a party with several friends, I gave a ride home to the guy that would... that night... become the Easter Baseball Bat Murderer, killing his girlfriend for giving him the clap.
    He served 18 years, and when he got out he robbed an old man at a storage facility stabbing and killing him. The police shot and killed him when trying to arrest him for the stabbing. He grabbed the officers gun and was shot in the struggle.
    Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    hedgehawk wrote:Getting gas in Preston, the guy that pulls behind at the gas station is Shawn Kemp. Never been one to bother people, I actually said “big fan of the Sonics” He replied “that’s awesome, what are you doing tonight? Want to get some food?” I went to, at the time, a teriyaki joint, and spent 1.5 hours talking with Shawn Kemp. He insisted on paying for the meal and it’s something I’ll never forget. I’m not famous at all but that’s my civilian story.

Was this while he was playing?

He had just finished up a season with the Orlando Magic (if I remember correctly) which ended up being his last in the league.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:57 pm
  • Seahawk wrote:In 1988, after a party with several friends, I gave a ride home to the guy that would... that night... become the Easter Baseball Bat Murderer, killing his girlfriend for giving him the clap.
    He served 18 years, and when he got out he robbed an old man at a storage facility stabbing and killing him. The police shot and killed him when trying to arrest him for the stabbing. He grabbed the officers gun and was shot in the struggle.

Good Lord man
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:01 pm
  • Seahawk wrote:In 1988, after a party with several friends, I gave a ride home to the guy that would... that night... become the Easter Baseball Bat Murderer, killing his girlfriend for giving him the clap.

Holy cow. Good thing you didn't tick him off.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:02 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:I was briefly a mod for a Seahawks fan site (twice).

That mod thing is really cool. 8)

I mean I do kind of think it is better than anything else anybody on the board will be able to come up with.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 pm

So this isn't really a fame thing, but on the "close to crime" angle, a guy was walking through our neighborhood looking for somebody to help him jump start a car. I happened to be arriving home at the time in my car, so I said I would help him out.

Fast forward a couple of months and we are about to take the kids to a bike park. My son mentions seeing cops in the neighborhood. As we are driving away, I see cops posted around corners of houses with rifles. Seems a bit of overkill for what they were there for, but turns out a guy was running a chop shop out of his garage. The guy was the same guy I helped jump start a car.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 pm
  • Met Louis Gossett Jr in Malibu at a Seafood stand, had to ask him to move his RV.

Had Secret Service run a background check on me because I was on Reagans Ranch setting up a Antenna Tower.

Met the whole 1976 Sonic Basketball Team, Slick Watts was such a cool guy as was Fred Brown. Bill Russell a nice and very Gracious in this situation.

Met Lenny Wilkens when he came to Pick up his Pizza at Godfathers in Bellevue when I was going to school.

Met and ran into Detlef Schrempf, Bret Boone, Jamie Moyer, Dan Wilson and others I can't remember at the QFC in Bellevue, also ran into Joyce Taylor of now King 5 News there also, she is a tall lady, also Tony Ventrello at Barnes and Nobel in Bellevue.

Played pick basketball with Rod Derline and I think Frank Oleynick two Sonics at Paine Field Gym in 1975 when they were on the Roster.

Last but not least was driving and walking around Bellingham looking for a friends car when Ted Bundy Murdered the two women up there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 am
  • Seeing all the posts about meeting players reminded me that my sister and I met the entire Portland Trail Blazers championship team at the Oakland airport. It was a preseason game we went for, but it was the season they won it. This was back in the days when teams flew regular commercial and non flying people were allowed in all parts of the airport. I still have the pictures and autographs somewhere - Bill Walton, Maurice Lucas, Lionel Hollins, radio guy Bill Schonley, etc etc. My sister slapped Bill Walton on the knee (he was sitting down) "thank you, Bill" she said. She was mortified afterwards, "I can't believe I did that!"
    dbmack
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 am
  • My mother was a very close friend of a woman who was married to Admiral Sir Arthur Desmond Cassidi, GCB (he actually died on 10 October this year); he finished his Royal Navy career as Second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Personnel, and Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command. I met him several times when they visited Adelaide and stayed with my parents.

I very willingly addressed him as "Sir" when I was a little kid - later he eventually said... "Just call me Des"! Astonishingly down-to-earth man.

My father was friends with Dame Diana Rigg; her brother was in his Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm squadron on (I think) HMS Bulwark. She played Emma Peel in the TV series The Avengers (1965–68), James Bond's wife (Tracy) in the 1969 movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones. She never visited Australia; I never met her, but saw letters from her, which must be somewhere in my late father's belongings, but I haven't found them yet. She told Dad she would have "loved to have kicked George Lazenby in the balls" during the filming of the Bond movie (Lazenby's only portrayal of Bond); his repeated advances towards her were NOT wanted, which she said he could not understand!

Bumped fists with Roger Waters after his Adelaide concert early last year.

An indirect one... had a coworker who claimed his family had a "skeleton in the closet"... (maybe not the way I would have looked at it)... he said he had a great-uncle "who was a naz** in WWII." None other than Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (The Desert Fox) - I do not know if this is true.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:40 am
  • I was in a band with Barrett Martin of Screaming Trees/Mad Season fame, which he eventually told me I wasn't good enough to be in.

Granted, it was Tumwater High School jazz band, but still...
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Met Louis Gossett Jr in Malibu at a Seafood stand, had to ask him to move his RV.

Had Secret Service run a background check on me because I was on Reagans Ranch setting up a Antenna Tower.

Met the whole 1976 Sonic Basketball Team, Slick Watts was such a cool guy as was Fred Brown. Bill Russell a nice and very Gracious in this situation.

Met Lenny Wilkens when he came to Pick up his Pizza at Godfathers in Bellevue when I was going to school.

Met and ran into Detlef Schrempf, Bret Boone, Jamie Moyer, Dan Wilson and others I can't remember at the QFC in Bellevue, also ran into Joyce Taylor of now King 5 News there also, she is a tall lady, also Tony Ventrello at Barnes and Nobel in Bellevue.

Played pick basketball with Rod Derline and I think Frank Oleynick two Sonics at Paine Field Gym in 1975 when they were on the Roster.

Last but not least was driving and walking around Bellingham looking for a friends car when Ted Bundy Murdered the two women up there.

When I was a kid, we went to training camp in Cheney and I got to carry Largent's equipment off the field and then shared a Gatorade with him.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:53 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:My mother was a very close friend of a woman who was married to Admiral Sir Arthur Desmond Cassidi, GCB (he actually died on 10 October this year); he finished his Royal Navy career as Second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Personnel, and Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command. I met him several times when they visited Adelaide and stayed with my parents.

I very willingly addressed him as "Sir" when I was a little kid - later he eventually said... "Just call me Des"! Astonishingly down-to-earth man.

My father was friends with Dame Diana Rigg; her brother was in his Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm squadron on (I think) HMS Bulwark. She played Emma Peel in the TV series The Avengers (1965–68), James Bond's wife (Tracy) in the 1969 movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones. She never visited Australia; I never met her, but saw letters from her, which must be somewhere in my late father's belongings, but I haven't found them yet. She told Dad she would have "loved to have kicked George Lazenby in the balls" during the filming of the Bond movie (Lazenby's only portrayal of Bond); his repeated advances towards her were NOT wanted, which she said he could not understand!

Bumped fists with Roger Waters after his Adelaide concert early last year.

An indirect one... had a coworker who claimed his family had a "skeleton in the closet"... (maybe not the way I would have looked at it)... he said he had a great-uncle "who was a naz** in WWII." None other than Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (The Desert Fox) - I do not know if this is true.

None of this sounds American, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count. :salute:
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 am
  • Background: When I worked for Rockwell Collins Avionics (17 years, 1990 - 2007) we had a contract with Northwest Airlines to fly all employees first class when traveling on business. In exchange, they paid a bit less for labor costs on repairs to stuff they sent in. More background, I worked for SoCal Edison through the '80s and my bro-in-law worked for Puget Sound Power & Light (later PSE) for his whole career.

In or around 1993 ('94? 95?) we were developing the first prototype 777 autopilots so I was back at company HQ in Cedar Rapids IA learning what I could to make it possible to repair them in the Seattle Service Center where I worked. Flying there involved going through the NW A/L hub at Minneapolis and changing to/from a puddlejumper for the Cedar Rapids part of the flight. Flew back just as that year's MLB owner's meeting got over, held in Minneapolis that year. That was the year the M's were trying and struggling to re-sign Jay Buehner after trading for him a couple years prior. All kinds of rumors of him wanting the moon, and him going elsewhere, etc. Flying back, I found myself sitting next to the M's president who's name is on the tip of my tongue, who had taken that role after retiring as CEO of Puget Sound Energy. I recognized his face from my BIL's company newsletters that he would bring home, and I would look at when visiting (because I was still interested in electrical utility stuff). After an hour or so, I looked over and said "Excuse me, aren't you <insert name here due to old-timers syndrome>?" He said yes, and that I probably recognized him as president of the Mariners. I said that I actually recognized him from his time at PSP&L, which visibly surprised him. So we chatted about the electrical business, generation mixes, regulatory problems with getting rate increases approved vs. infrastructure improvement, lots of crap like that. After awhile, I asked if he wanted to talk about the M's, and when he agreed I asked about if we were really going to be able to re-sign Buehner. You could see his face visibly age in an instant. I then said something like "Man, you've gotta sign him! I mean, just look at him at the plate, that big wide-open stance, just daring pitchers to throw it anywhere near the plate! Then hitting out of the park when they do..." He mentioned that he was really trying, but was not very optimistic. We continued to chat about various things for the rest of the flight. A few days later, the M's announced re-signing Buehner and the local media reported that it was for more than they had seemed willing to spend. I'm pretty sure that speaking with a real M's fan who didn't come in with an agenda allowed team management to see how the general public viewed Buehner's value to the team.

TL/DR, I was partially responsible for the Mariners making Jay Buehner a Mariner for his whole career after The Trade. You're welcome.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:03 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:Background: When I worked for Rockwell Collins Avionics (17 years, 1990 - 2007) we had a contract with Northwest Airlines to fly all employees first class when traveling on business. In exchange, they paid a bit less for labor costs on repairs to stuff they sent in. More background, I worked for SoCal Edison through the '80s and my bro-in-law worked for Puget Sound Power & Light (later PSE) for his whole career.

In or around 1993 ('94? 95?) we were developing the first prototype 777 autopilots so I was back at company HQ in Cedar Rapids IA learning what I could to make it possible to repair them in the Seattle Service Center where I worked. Flying there involved going through the NW A/L hub at Minneapolis and changing to/from a puddlejumper for the Cedar Rapids part of the flight. Flew back just as that year's MLB owner's meeting got over, held in Minneapolis that year. That was the year the M's were trying and struggling to re-sign Jay Buehner after trading for him a couple years prior. All kinds of rumors of him wanting the moon, and him going elsewhere, etc. Flying back, I found myself sitting next to the M's president who's name is on the tip of my tongue, who had taken that role after retiring as CEO of Puget Sound Energy. I recognized his face from my BIL's company newsletters that he would bring home, and I would look at when visiting (because I was still interested in electrical utility stuff). After an hour or so, I looked over and said "Excuse me, aren't you <insert name here due to old-timers syndrome>?" He said yes, and that I probably recognized him as president of the Mariners. I said that I actually recognized him from his time at PSP&L, which visibly surprised him. So we chatted about the electrical business, generation mixes, regulatory problems with getting rate increases approved vs. infrastructure improvement, lots of crap like that. After awhile, I asked if he wanted to talk about the M's, and when he agreed I asked about if we were really going to be able to re-sign Buehner. You could see his face visibly age in an instant. I then said something like "Man, you've gotta sign him! I mean, just look at him at the plate, that big wide-open stance, just daring pitchers to throw it anywhere near the plate! Then hitting out of the park when they do..." He mentioned that he was really trying, but was not very optimistic. We continued to chat about various things for the rest of the flight. A few days later, the M's announced re-signing Buehner and the local media reported that it was for more than they had seemed willing to spend. I'm pretty sure that speaking with a real M's fan who didn't come in with an agenda allowed team management to see how the general public viewed Buehner's value to the team.

TL/DR, I was partially responsible for the Mariners making Jay Buehner a Mariner for his whole career after The Trade. You're welcome.

Or responsible for them talking to the Yankees about trading him back to them...... :P
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:38 pm
  • You probably shouldn't have skipped straight to the "TL/DR" part. :mrgreen: :irishdrinkers:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:40 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Background: When I worked for Rockwell Collins Avionics (17 years, 1990 - 2007) we had a contract with Northwest Airlines to fly all employees first class when traveling on business. In exchange, they paid a bit less for labor costs on repairs to stuff they sent in. More background, I worked for SoCal Edison through the '80s and my bro-in-law worked for Puget Sound Power & Light (later PSE) for his whole career.

Or responsible for them talking to the Yankees about trading him back to them...... :P

I never cared much for Seinfeld, but...

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:54 am
  • I've only had one interaction with a celebrity and it was back in 2005. My fam was down in Peoria for Mariners spring training and went golfing at one of The Trilogy courses. We got there early and were on the putting green when the pro came out and told us he was going to pair us up with Albert Belle and one of his friends.

So we continue putting and warming up when a chocolate brown Rolls Royce rolls up to the edge of the parking lot. One of the course employees pulls up in a bumper-to-bumper matching brown golf cart. Albert gets out of the Rolls, he's covered head to tow in brown to match. He walks to the back of his car, pops the trunk, and pulls out a matching brown bag. Dude was dripping.

He ended up being a really nice guy and put up with us being the absolute scrubs that we are on the golf course. His buddy was a fantastic golfer who was trying to break into the PGA pro tour.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:49 am
  • As a kid I got to meet Zorn and Largent which was great ..
    Slick Watts came to our class.
    I was in line at a grocery store and who should be in front
    of me?Oliver North..He was on his way to Notre Dame to
    speak.
    I used to bowl with Tony Rice who is a damn good bowler
    and a very humble/nice guy.
    Booth Gardner..He lived on Vashon in the summer and
    it was a modest place by the beach.He would pay us
    neighborhood kids a quarter for any tennis ball we found
    outside of his court.I remember all those Penn balls but
    I also remember him being a very nice man(Rip)
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 am
  • I once narrowly avoided a collision with Mario Andretti at the Laguna Seca Speedway. Yes, it's true. Mario Andretti was driving like... well, Mario Andretti, and he would have run me over but for my quick reaction. I was walking in the paddock and he was driving a moped, of all things. What, were you thinking I was a race car driver too?
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:I once narrowly avoided a collision with Mario Andretti at the Laguna Seca Speedway. Yes, it's true. Mario Andretti was driving like... well, Mario Andretti, and he would have run me over but for my quick reaction. I was walking in the paddock and he was driving a moped, of all things. What, were you thinking I was a race car driver too?

Good story..The guy is the only driver to win every major type of car racing.
    The best racer ever in my book and I'm not a car racing fan.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:01 am
  • I used to get autographs all throughout my childhood at the stadiums, hotels, signing events, and other venues. I have been lucky enough to meet and talk with many sports stars, celebrities and musicians but one out of all sticks out.

It was back in the '96-'97 NBA season and there was this one kid from Georgetown that was taking the NBA by storm named Allen Iverson. I followed him in college and once he was drafted I was buying into the hype. At the time I had a good friend of mine in school that was a damn good artist and specialized in portraits. Philly had a road trip to Portland then a game in Seattle the next evening, so I had asked my friend weeks in advance to draw me up something good.

About a week before the game in Portland I got the original drawing of him doing a crossover with half his jersey a Gerogetown one and the other half a Sixers jersey. Along with the original he gave me 10 prints of it and told me to get one signed for him and to give him the original if he wanted it.. Fast forward to the evening the arrived in Portland. There was about 60 autograph hounds with balls, jerseys, cards and cameras ready to go. Iverson got off the bus, headphones on and while he was acknowledging the people out there he wasn't signing anything. As he made it down the sidewalk to the front door where I was standing he looked at the drawing I was holding, looked at me, then back at the drawing and motioned for one of the security people from the Sixers to take me inside.

My first thought was "HOLY S**T" he's mad about some type of copyright issue and I'm in trouble. Security brought me inside to a small room just adjacent to the lobby and Iverson was sitting at a table. I got greeted with a "waddup dog, who drew that"? I mumbled, stuttered and as I was about to answer he said "That's dope, where can i get one"?

After I heard that, the rest all fell into place. I told him who drew it, and that he could have the original, and asked if he could sign not only one for my buddy but asked if he could sign one for me. The response I got was "Hell ya, Ill sign everything you have". I only had the prints with me at that time and kept thanking him. He asked where we were from, and i told him Seattle and that we made the trip down to see him play and hoped to make it up the following night to see him in Seattle.

He told us what time they practiced the following day and what time they left for the game, and said to go buy whatever we wanted and he would meet us in the lobby and sign everything. We went EVERYWHERE and bought every piece of Iverson related item we cold find in the Portland area. We sat down with him the following day and he literally signed everything I had. He wanted my friends contact info to do some family portraits for him, which i found out later he ended up doing several drawings.

As they were leaving for the game he pulled me aside, took my info and said "go to the ticket office in Seattle, I got something for you and three friends tomorrow". Went to the ticket office the next day and had courtside seats right next to their bench. He came over and greeted us pregame, he thanked him for the work and the rest was history.

For the next few seasons when he was in town I always met up with him at the Key and he knew my name and really a good dude. The media portrayed him as some thug, but he was a truly nice guy.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:14 am
  • That's an amazing story, 206. Consider me slightly jealous :P
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:That's an amazing story, 206. Consider me slightly jealous :P

It was definitely one of the better experiences i had. I did sell off a large portion of my memorabilia and autographs when i was 21, but it paid for a down payment on my first house so i guess it's not all that bad.

The one thing i wish I had back was the team FULL TEAM set of game worn Sonic's shoes from the Finals season against the Bulls. Steve Scheffler believe it or not was the hardest pair to get.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:58 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:That's an amazing story, 206. Consider me slightly jealous :P

It was definitely one of the better experiences i had. I did sell off a large portion of my memorabilia and autographs when i was 21, but it paid for a down payment on my first house so i guess it's not all that bad.

The one thing i wish I had back was the team FULL TEAM set of game worn Sonic's shoes from the Finals season against the Bulls. Steve Scheffler believe it or not was the hardest pair to get.

Cool story. When I first started reading it, I was planning to make a joke about "practice" but sounds like Iverson was really cool so I'll refrain.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:57 pm
  • Iverson was one of the nicest athletes I ever got to meet and talk with. The biggest jerk was Jim Rice. He was a coach for the Red Sox at the time, when a young kid (maybe 7 tops) walked up to him as they were boarding the bus and asked for an autograph. The kid had been out there getting autographs on this ball and he handed it to Rice. Rice put his bags down, grabbed the pen and then threw the ball down the street, looked at his Dad and yelled "Jim Rice don't sign autographs".

Everyone was taken back by this, and Mo Vaughn walked off the bus, pulled the kid and his Dad aside and gave them tickets for the game that night.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 pm
  • There's some great stuff here, thanks for sharing!

I've had quite a few run-ins through the years from rock stars and sports celebrities. Here's a few...

I don't really count Alice N Chains as we grew up together and hung out when we were all starving artists in Seattle in the mid to late 80's. Some funny stories for another time.

When we were recording our demo in Steve Lawson Studios (now Bad Animals) in Seattle back in 88, we met Brett Eliason who was our recording engineer. Well he ended up dating my sister and then became the sound man for Pearl Jam. So we got to meet the band at various concerts over the years. Very, very down to earth and cool guys. One time in the green room before a surprise concert in NYC, someone came in and said that "Mariah (Carey) and Tommy (Motolla, her then husband and then head of Sony Music)" wanted to hang out. They all knew it was simply "to be seen" with the then hottest rock band on the planet and they said "Hell no!" Everybody laughed. Another time while chatting with Eddie Vedder backstage, a young girl was ushered in. She was literally shaking and crying. She handed an art book she drew for Eddie. He was as gracious as could be and ordered someone to make sure her and her little sister got backstage passes and tickets to the show. You would have thought Jesus Christ stood before her. It was pretty amazing into the power celebrities can have.

When our band moved to NYC, we met many music celebs and rock stars. One of my favorite and most bizzare moments came when I was invited to a VIP event at the China Club. I walk in and there's Michael Bolton singing "Sitting on the dock of the Bay" casually while Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons chatted up some pretty fantastic bimbos. After being completely snubbed by Paul (my buddy tried to introduce me and he didn't even turn his head to look at me while he extended his hand), I chatted with Michael Bolton at the bar. He looked like a fish out of water. Nobody was even talking to him. 6 months later he released his album and became world famous.

Like Bolton, I chatted with a lonely looking Billy Squire...He hadn't had a hit record in years by this point and he looked sad and dejected. I felt bad for him and decided against telling him how much I loved his albums when I was in elementary/ junior high school.

A lot of pricks in rock, no doubt. Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow was a prick. So, so many stories, too little time.

Met many Seahawks over the years...Drank a pitcher with former Pro Bowl punter Jeff Feagles while eluding Holmgren's curfew when training camp was in Cheney. Dude was a riot.

Met Michael Sinclair at the DMV in Kirkland, who was coming off his 16 sack season in 98. He had his kids with him and I didn't want to disturb him so I merely turned around and quietly said "Big fan." and shook his hand.

Jon Kitna was very kind with his time, signing autographs for rows of fans in the rain after a game when all the other players walked right past us. We told him the poster was for a disabled fan in Kansas (true) and he said "I will sign for anybody." He was the player of the game too. All class.

Met Brian Blades at an autograph signing at the old Pro Shop. Nobody was there. I have no idea if they didn't promote it properly or what but I got to chat with him for several minutes. Very cool guy.

Met Matt Hasselbeck when the stadium was brand new. He walked up to me while I was marveling at our new stadium and I told him he was going to be a great quarterback for us and just have patience. He was cool but I could tell he missed home at the time. I always have wanted to meet up with him again and say "I told ya!"

Met Dave Brown even though at the time I didn't know who he was. Very embarrassing moment. Not players but VPs Gary Wright and Mike Flood are the quintessential gentlemen. Just fantastic men I am proud to have met. VP of Communications Dave Pearson, well let's just say momma said if you don't have anything nice to say...

I could go on but I probably should get back to work. :smilingalien:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 pm
  • I had the good fortune to get my ass kicked by Tim Green back in high school. I met him in the second round of sectionals for wrestling. He won sectionals and won states that year. He then starred at SU and went on to play for the Falcons. He was the only bastard to ever pin me.

My son played high school football against Latavius Murray. Murray didn't look very fast but nobody could keep up with him. He just had such a long stride that it didn't look like he was going fast.

Most recently, my entire family met Mr. Walter Jones when we attended the 'Hawks game vs the Saints this year. It was very brief but we got a pic and he signed my throwback Easley jersey. He seemed pretty cool.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information