Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Deadspin: Mass resignation from staff

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13

• Great writers.

This had been coming. Hopefully they find someone that will accommodate many if not all of them.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Totally not an insane bunch of inmates running around off their medication, though. The whole bunch of them were as messed up as a football bat.

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• No great loss. They loved the smell of their own farts.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:No great loss. They loved the smell of their own farts.

Really?

These writers that have left are terrific boggers. Funny, acute, and completely removed from the bro style that dominates sports blogs.

It's a big loss if you read sports from sites like this instead of the ESPNs and such
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:No great loss. They loved the smell of their own farts.

Really?

These writers that have left are terrific boggers. Funny, acute, and completely removed from the bro style that dominates sports blogs.

It's a big loss if you read sports from sites like this instead of the ESPNs and such

More like smug and self-righteous.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Really?

I mean sometimes, but all sports blogs are a bit like that.

To each his own i guess... ive really enjoyed many of their writers. Again, in a field dominated by the BarStool sports crowd or just the basic nonsense read on ESPN, the Deadspin writers had a sense of humor, purpose, and were quite adept at tackling the issues of sports and culture, instead of simply discussing wins and losses.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Really?

I mean sometimes, but all sports blogs are a bit like that.

To each his own i guess... ive really enjoyed many of their writers. Again, in a field dominated by the BarStool sports crowd or just the basic nonsense read on ESPN, the Deadspin writers had a sense of humor, purpose, and were quite adept at tackling the issues of sports and culture, instead of simply discussing wins and losses.

I just felt like they gladly took any cheap shot they could, and then acted like their $h!t didn't stink. Did they have some good stuff? Certainly. But I found myself going there less and less every year because I just got tired of their schtick.

I will say, I did love when they pantsed Pete Prickso.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I think there is a certain pretentiousness that accompanies any bloggers, especially in sports.

There were articles that I gave up on... and the comments section was either very funny or just awful.

On the whole though, it's humor and attack on basically anything that pit itself above the crest of us was far better than say, the Ringer..

But certainly it was seeped in sarcasm less than straight journalism.

Where do you go for content? I need recommendations
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I don't visit blogs with much regularity, anymore. If I go anywhere, it's probably SBNation.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:More like smug and self-righteous.

Which one of them slept with your wife?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:More like smug and self-righteous.

Which one of them slept with your wife?

Not married, not really sure where you're going.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Deadspin had it coming. Great writers it seems but really it was doomed!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• Maulbert wrote:Not married, not really sure where you're going.

Pretty obvious, IMO.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Really?

You mean have the balls to take a misogynist driven medium like sports and broaden it's appeal through hiring the smartest writers possible to come in and not only speak some truth, but make fun of it?,.....................AND turn that into one of the biggest media and sports sites on the internet because so many sports fans identified and agreed with those writers?

Apparently you're not one of those fans.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Really?

You mean have the balls to take a misogynist driven medium like sports and broaden it's appeal through hiring the smartest writers possible to come in and not only speak some truth, but make fun of it?,.....................AND turn that into one of the biggest media and sports sites on the internet because so many sports fans identified and agreed with those writers?

Alot of people want windows, not mirrors sarge...

Inevitably, the stick to sports mantra won out there
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Really?

Yep just more of the same 12 old tired parrots on the same 12 old tired sites and shows talking about the same 12 things.

But that's the good thing about the current state of the internet and social media, it's given all these great writers a platform to do their own thing, so my hope is they'll figure out how to continue doing their thing either on another site, or collectively.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Yep just more of the same 12 old tired parrots on the same 12 old tired sites and shows talking about the same 12 things.

But that's the good thing about the current state of the internet and social media, it's given all these great writers a platform to do their own thing, so my hope is they'll figure out how to continue doing their thing either on another site, or collectively.

I'll just leave you two to your pat-yourself-on-the-back club.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Not patting anyone on the back? Why are you sensitive about it?

Deadapin asked it's writers stick to formulaic writing about sports without inserting itself into any social discussions
    The people who took over felt that sort of content would drive sports fans away because many of the cultural issues being challenged by the writers were contrasting views of typical sports fans.. as Sarge pointed out.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Never been to Deadspin, but why do their sports bloggers feel the need to share their opinions on politics, and why would sports fans want to read about it? I'm guessing they didn't want to read political content, that's why they were asked to stop.

That's like going to a food/cooking blog and reading about sports.

They were hired and paid to write about sports. Agree with the poster above about the Self-righteousness.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• I saw Deadspin as a collection of humorists, writing kickass columns about(mostly) sports topics.

Did you ever see Norm Macdonald's Sports Show on ESPN?
    Same thing.
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:Never been to Deadspin, but why do their sports bloggers feel the need to share their opinions on politics, and why would sports fans want to read about it? I'm guessing they didn't want to read political content, that's why they were asked to stop.

They were hired and paid to write about sports. Agree with the poster above about the Self-righteousness.

Well no...

The idea was that its fans wanted to read about everything.: sports, politcs, culture, etc. Hunter S and later Bill Simmons did it at ESPN. Its like asking Rolling stone to stick to music. It was a collective writing community.

I's new owners wanted it homogenized.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• massari wrote:Never been to Deadspin, but why do their sports bloggers feel the need to share their opinions on politics, and why would sports fans want to read about it? I'm guessing they didn't want to read political content, that's why they were asked to stop.

Deadspin is (or was) more than sports. It has The Concourse, which is it's cultural news branch......then it has links and writing agreements with at least 8-10 other popular sites like A.V Club, Clickhole and The Onion to share columns and content.

Unfortunately the powers that be at Deadspin lost the game of chicken with all their writers, and now it'll become just another Bleacher Report whoring out their name and daily traffic clicks to cheap or free writing labor pretending to be the same thing they always were.

Like most news, entertainment and sports sites, it's rarely about integrity and quality, it's all about the clicks.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information