Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody like fine watches around here?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Anybody like fine watches around here?
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:50 pm
  • Anybody a watch enthusiast here?
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• Ace_Rimmer wrote:Anybody a watch enthusiast here?

Not me, I thought a horologist was someone who studied horror films.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• No, but my boss at work is a real aficionado. He's got probably over $100k worth of watches, the vast majority of which are under the $5k point. He really nerds out over them.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Re: Anybody like fine watches around here?
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:21 am
  • I haven't got time.

Seriously, I kinda wanted an Omega Seamaster for a long time (not sure why)! My dad got a Rolex for his 21st birthday, and it lasted fifty years before breaking down beyond repair [1]. He belatedly found out he could have got $500 for it for spare parts!

He bought me a Seiko watch in Hong Kong in 1975, which lasted me around 30 years before dying. I was very proud of it, and of the calculator he bought me, which still works, even though I dropped a Strickberger (enormous genetics text book) on it accidentally in 1979. I stuffed its disembowelled innards back into it (I know zero about electronics)... and it was good as new!

[1] "Well, that's what happens when you spend money, reflected Mr Kaboodle sadly." - anyone recognise that quote from a children's book? No Googling allowed... :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:I haven't got time.

Seriously, I kinda wanted an Omega Seamaster for a long time (not sure why)! My dad got a Rolex for his 21st birthday, and it lasted fifty years before breaking down beyond repair [1]. He belatedly found out he could have got $500 for it for spare parts!

He bought me a Seiko watch in Hong Kong in 1975, which lasted me around 30 years before dying. I was very proud of it, and of the calculator he bought me, which still works, even though I dropped a Strickberger (enormous genetics text book) on it accidentally in 1979. I stuffed its disembowelled innards back into it (I know zero about electronics)... and it was good as new!

[1] "Well, that's what happens when you spend money, reflected Mr Kaboodle sadly." - anyone recognise that quote from a children's book? No Googling allowed... :D

I just picked up the new Seamaster 300M Co-Axial blue dial and I love it. It's a great value for the price point!
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:No, but my boss at work is a real aficionado. He's got probably over $100k worth of watches, the vast majority of which are under the $5k point. He really nerds out over them.

It's addicting Roland.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Re: Anybody like fine watches around here?
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:09 am
  • Funny, my cousin works at a grocery store in Yakima and would always comment on and compliment a customer's watches. He ended up befriending the guy and went over to his house. He showed him his collection of watches, well over $100K original retail value, and then GAVE him the entire collection. Apparently he didn't care to keep collecting them, had other things he wanted to collect, and definitely didn't want to spend the thousands of dollars to replace batteries, etc. Not many were super high-end watches, but the vast majority were minimum $500.

I asked for one or two for Christmas lol.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I had the calculator watch in HS.
    The band broke and I still have it somewhere..
    Some NBA player paid a lot for one a couple years back.
    Last edited by IndyHawk on Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:[1] "Well, that's what happens when you spend money, reflected Mr Kaboodle sadly." - anyone recognise that quote from a children's book? No Googling allowed... :D

Uncle Wiggley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mort
    NET Starter

• Don't know that one. But the "spending money" quote is from the priceless children's book "I am Papa Snap and These are my Favorite No Such Stories" by Tomi Ungerer.

Well, I remember literally rolling around on the floor laughing at this book, which another guy down the corridor in the College I lived at had, along with other gems like "Bert Fegg's Nasty Book for Boys And Girls" by Michael Palin and Terry Jones.

I believe it correlated with us first discovering (very poor quality) weed...

"Bunny Bunsen Brittle goes fishing.

He has no permit.

But who cares? There are no fish."
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Does my Swatch count?
    Hawkfan509
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information