Do Not Sell My Personal Information

African Bee's have nothing on these guys

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
African Bee's have nothing on these guys
Sat May 02, 2020 10:15 pm
  • They are in Washington and BC and killing bees. Another Gift from China.

Giant Asian Murder Hornets,

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

An invasive hornet species slaughters honeybees, can be deadly to humans and –unfortunately – has been spotted in the United States.

A small number of Asian giant hornet sightings in the Pacific Northwest has raised alarm after a nickname for the predators started trending on Twitter Saturday: "Murder Hornet." While experts have been tracking the invasive species in the U.S. for months, a New York Times feature published Saturday brought nickname to the national consciousness.

It's a fittingly upsetting nickname, based on a lengthy March presentation from Washington State Department of Agriculture entomologist Chris Looney. It opened with a slide listing other ominous titles for the the largest hornet in the world: "yak killer hornet" and "giant sparrow bee" among them.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/na ... 072996001/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Size of a fricken sparrow , literally
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

• Scary stuff. What a truly formidable insect. Is the "spike" sticking out of the abdomen the sting, or is it the ovipositor? If the latter (which would be less frightening!), all in the photo must be females.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Not to get in the way of anybody's $h!t on China, but they're from Japan.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Not to get in the way of anybody's $h!t on China, but they're from Japan.

Probably Japan via China...nope I'm blaming China. Those things are ridiculous
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• A few years ago I saw something like these on a golf course coating a section of ground
    it looked like thousands..I was horrified as I'm scared of a bee by me,I told the guy driving
    go slow and away from them.I wasn't getting my golf ball either which was in the middle of
    those big things with huge stingers.I still don't know what those were but looked similar to
    the pics above.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Not to get in the way of anybody's $h!t on China, but they're from Japan.

The Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia), including the former subspecies known as the Japanese giant hornet (V. m. japonica),[2] colloquially known as the yak-killer hornet or "Murder Wasp"[3] is the world's largest hornet, native to temperate and tropical East Asia, South Asia, Mainland Southeast Asia and parts of the Russian Far East. They prefer to live in low mountains and forests, while almost completely avoiding plains and high-altitude climates. Vespa mandarinia creates nests by digging, co-opting pre-existing tunnels dug by rodents, or occupying spaces near rotted pine roots.[4] It feeds primarily on larger insects, colonies of other eusocial insects, tree sap, and honey from honey bee colonies.[5] The hornet has a body length of 45 mm (1.8 in), a wingspan around 75 mm (3.0 in), and a stinger 6 mm (0.24 in) long, which injects a large amount of potent venom.[6]

This makes it sound like two species but they seem related.

Appears only females have stingers from what I read also, but their Mandibles are so formidable they can kill like 40 Honey bees a minute just biting heads off.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Heard this morning they can kill off a nest 30K plus bees in a few hours.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Asia: The gift that keeps on giving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Not to get in the way of anybody's $h!t on China, but they're from Japan.

The Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia), including the former subspecies known as the Japanese giant hornet (V. m. japonica),[2] colloquially known as the yak-killer hornet or "Murder Wasp"[3] is the world's largest hornet, native to temperate and tropical East Asia, South Asia, Mainland Southeast Asia and parts of the Russian Far East. They prefer to live in low mountains and forests, while almost completely avoiding plains and high-altitude climates. Vespa mandarinia creates nests by digging, co-opting pre-existing tunnels dug by rodents, or occupying spaces near rotted pine roots.[4] It feeds primarily on larger insects, colonies of other eusocial insects, tree sap, and honey from honey bee colonies.[5] The hornet has a body length of 45 mm (1.8 in), a wingspan around 75 mm (3.0 in), and a stinger 6 mm (0.24 in) long, which injects a large amount of potent venom.[6]

Appears only females have stingers from what I read also, but their Mandibles are so formidable they can kill like 40 Honey bees a minute just biting heads off.

The article specifically referenced Japan, though. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Not to get in the way of anybody's $h!t on China, but they're from Japan.

The article specifically referenced Japan, though. :)

Well it's the far East, we also ship a lot of apples to Japan and China from Washington as well as Lumber to process and then buy back .... So that exchange and packing and shipping going back and forth would bring undetected little critters with it also, or bigger ones like this starting a nest in a crate or bin of some sort.

From the article Washington is heaven for these beasts as far as ideal environment.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Here in the Tex-ASS we have fire ants. What a gift these little tiny bastards are. Excruciating pain from something 1/8th of an inch long and almost NEVER do you get stung by one because they come flying out of their burrows with absolute fierceness. They SUCK.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• One good thing about living north is the fact we dont have all these giant flesh eating insects.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• SimpleJack
    NET Starter

• James in PA wrote:Asia: The gift that keeps on giving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me love you long time!!!
    BubbaGump
    NET Starter

• [quote="James in PA"]Asia: The gift that keeps on giving.

Truth.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• It's racist to call them Asia Hornets ...
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Actually it was on the persons porch and they stepped on it. Was just on the news and was in Bellingham.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information