Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android phone upgrade

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Android phone upgrade
Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 pm
  • Currently have a note 9 which is still a beast but may upgrade in the next month or so. I don't give a crap about cameras, sorry pixel, but battery is important, sorry pixel.

Oneplus?
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Re: Android phone upgrade
Sun May 17, 2020 11:10 pm
  • I'd go either OnePlus 8 Pro or hold out for the Galaxy Fold 2.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:Currently have a note 9 which is still a beast but may upgrade in the next month or so. I don't give a crap about cameras, sorry pixel, but battery is important, sorry pixel.

Oneplus?

Note 10+ has been awesome.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon May 18, 2020 3:53 pm
  • I've narrowed it down to the 2 that you guys mentioned. No interest in the fold though.

Will wait for the price cuts once the new note launches.

How's the real world battery life on your note Austin?
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon May 18, 2020 8:48 pm
  • OnePlus 8 Pro or Note 10 Plus.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm
  • I got a Pixel because of the battery life compared to similarly priced models.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I got a Pixel because of the battery life compared to similarly priced models.

Which variant?

The higher end pixel line has been railed for crap battery life. Does yours hold up for a full day?
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Tue May 19, 2020 7:26 pm
  • My last couple phones have been OnePlus and the battery life has been better than any of my previous devices, but to be fair I'm pretty sure that the Samsung phones have caught up in that area for the most part.

I was a Galaxy Note guy for a lot of years, but OnePlus has converted me. Not that I'll never go back but for now I'm pretty content.

But I will admit to being intrigued by the Fold 2. The first Fold has its issues and it definitely has its detractors, but after seeing one in action for a little while I have to admit I'm envious. And it sounds like the 2 is going to fix most of the issues the first one had, which I think were a little overblown in the first place anyway. But it's totally excessive. Dammit.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 am
  • I hate spending so much on a phone when a main selling feature is the cameras. I'm not a photographer and really wouldn't mind if my phone had none.

The fold looks really nice but I think I'm going to give that tech 2 years to sort itself out.

I think Im going to try the Oneplus. Hate to leave Samsung UI which is quite good but I'll give it a shot
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 12:31 pm
  • Let me know how you like it. I'm on the OnePlus 7 Pro and haven't found an excuse to upgrade yet other than 5G. This is by far the fastest and most predictably reliable device I've owned. And I love that there's no camera notch or hole punch in the screen.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Let me know how you like it. I'm on the OnePlus 7 Pro and haven't found an excuse to upgrade yet other than 5G. This is by far the fastest and most predictably reliable device I've owned. And I love that there's no camera notch or hole punch in the screen.

The notch/punch thing bothers me but I'll get used to it.

I have no use for 5g radios as it will be years before it reaches my area.

I just pulled the trigger on a bogo on the Oneplus pro.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 1:04 pm
  • Why do people pay a thousand dollars for phones, then upgrade them 2 years later?....to feed the corporations???...I'm not getting it....?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 20, 2020 4:48 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Why do people pay a thousand dollars for phones, then upgrade them 2 years later?....to feed the corporations???...I'm not getting it....?

Same reason people waste money on cars and TVs and video game consoles and any other piece of technology that constantly has a new model just around the corner.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri May 22, 2020 2:17 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Why do people pay a thousand dollars for phones, then upgrade them 2 years later?....to feed the corporations???...I'm not getting it....?

Disposable income Rob.

I literally budget to have a nice phone.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I got a Pixel because of the battery life compared to similarly priced models.

Which variant?

The higher end pixel line has been railed for crap battery life. Does yours hold up for a full day?

3AXL (no point in getting 4 for me)

And yeah it lasts a couple days with moderate use.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    acer1240 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I got a Pixel because of the battery life compared to similarly priced models.

Which variant?

3AXL (no point in getting 4 for me)

And yeah it lasts a couple days with moderate use.

You're getting a couple days out of a 3700mAh battery? That's pretty impressive.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am
  • acer1240 wrote:I've narrowed it down to the 2 that you guys mentioned. No interest in the fold though.

Will wait for the price cuts once the new note launches.

How's the real world battery life on your note Austin?

Sorry I missed this! Battery life has been good, the best I’ve gotten on an android phone. A friend had the smaller note and wasn’t impressed with the batter life at all.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Let me know how you like it. I'm on the OnePlus 7 Pro and haven't found an excuse to upgrade yet other than 5G. This is by far the fastest and most predictably reliable device I've owned. And I love that there's no camera notch or hole punch in the screen.

Me as well.. device is just awesome all the way around and I don't take selfies much , but love the pop up camera. Super fast, screen is awesome, and since i've installed the Google (pixel) camera software the pictures have been just as awesome.. no reason to upgrade.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat May 30, 2020 3:28 pm
  • I am debating buying either the OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, or Samsung Galaxy S20+. I have it narrowed down to those three models because they all have REALLY bright screens, and I have gotten tired of having serious trouble navigating while cycling with my Pixel 3's screen. You need at LEAST 600 nits of brightness to be relatively easily readable in direct sunlight. I find myself squinting while holding my hand over the phone screen, while cycling, to see where the next turn is for my destination (which is usually randomly chosen) while cycling, and that isn't exactly safe to do.

P.S., the sun is brighter and more direct in Miami than in the northwest. It's 572 miles closer to the equator than Los Angeles is, and 1,509 miles closer to the equator than Seattle is.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:25 am
  • Welp, I just caved in and pre-ordered the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. That was a quick $1400 after tax. The display can go up to an eye-blistering 1,500 nits of brightness. It'll laugh at even the brightest Miami sun.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Welp, I just caved in and pre-ordered the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. That was a quick $1400 after tax. The display can go up to an eye-blistering 1,500 nits of brightness. It'll laugh at even the brightest Miami sun.

Meanwhile I'm still using a ZTE android that does need to be replaced soon.
    It won't be another ZTE as the pics are horrible.
    It won't be anything close to what you spent either :shock: Does this mean
    you no longer need a laptop or desktop?If so great move dude.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:P.S., the sun is brighter and more direct in Miami than in the northwest. It's 572 miles closer to the equator than Los Angeles is, and 1,509 miles closer to the equator than Seattle is.

My sincere condolences, Roland. Sounds horrible to me.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:31 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Does this mean you no longer need a laptop or desktop?If so great move dude.

Lol, no; not at all.

Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:P.S., the sun is brighter and more direct in Miami than in the northwest. It's 572 miles closer to the equator than Los Angeles is, and 1,509 miles closer to the equator than Seattle is.

My sincere condolences, Roland. Sounds horrible to me.

Pish posh; I love the weather here. As long as I have air conditioning in my home (I do), I love the hot weather outside.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:02 am
  • Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20 Smartphone Has Serious Problems

Confirming my fears, in the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Samsung announced its most compelling smartphone of the year but, in the Note 20, its least. Here’s why:

08/08 Update: SamMobile reports that Samsung has already issued a massive but mysterious software update for both the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra. The update weighs in at a hefty 500MB but, strangely, Samsung has not revealed any specifics about what's inside it. Instead, all Samsung writes in the release notes is "A software update can include, but is not limited to: Device stability improvements, bug fixes. New and/or enhanced features. Further improvements to performance." None of which is remotely helpful. That said, such a large update coming before either phone has even been released, strongly suggests a lot of bug fixes and Samsung often tries to optimize its smartphone cameras after launch. Either way, it looks like both the Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra require significant updating out the box and I suspect several more patches will follow in quick succession.

08/09 Update: a fascinating update from prominent Samsung insider Ice Universe has revealed that my misgivings about the Note 20 are not misplaced. "In fact, most of Samsung's employees are not optimistic about Note 20," says the anonymous leaker, explaining that the phone's design was part of pressure from leaders within the company to "maximize profits and limit costs". This seems to have backfired, however, with reception to the device being highly critical (in contrast to the popular Note 20 Ultra). This is typified by a subsequent poll Ice Universe held, where 85% of over 26,000 voters said they would not consider upgrading to the phone. That's a damning number and Samsung's new entry-level Note is shaping up to be a damaging own goal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... a1df304dab
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:28 am
  • I saw that. Pure speculation based on nothing in terms of the update size indicating a problem. Also, the Note 20 not the Note 20 Ultra are where the other concerns are.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Pish posh; I love the weather here. As long as I have air conditioning in my home (I do), I love the hot weather outside.

Of course, each to their own preferences. Even if you are mad. :D :D

So, you've been thoroughly wetted and covered in overcast skies in the Pacific NW, roasted in Phoenix, and now slowly poached in Miami. Can I suggest you try being frozen in Fairbanks, or Barrow? :D

Hey, I bet drought is rarely a problem in Miami. I presume you get some spectacular thunderstorms? Anyway, enjoy where you live, absolutely!

To my surprise, I read this on Wikipaedia (if correct):

"Extremes range from 27 °F (−2.8 °C) on February 3, 1917 to 100 °F (38 °C) on July 21, 1942. While Miami has never recorded snowfall at any official weather station since records have been kept, snow flurries fell in some parts of the city on January 19, 1977."

I should not have been so surprised at the cold extreme, I suppose. Weather in the US has so many extremes.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:30 pm
  • I lived in rural Wisconsin for half my childhood through most of the 90s, I also know the frozen garbage and I despise it.

It's very humid here, we get thunderstorms almost daily for an hour or two through much of the summer during the rainy/hurricane season.

The winters here are rarely anything but warm. Look at the average monthly lows and highs for Miami or South Florida.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information