Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corn vs Chopper

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Corn vs Chopper
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 pm
  • I've seen some great yielding crops produced over the years on my farm, but this years corn crop takes the cake!

They start to harvest it today and after about 8-10 acres the corn won, this sent the new johndeere chopper back to town for repairs.

No kidding 12 foot plus corn!

CHeers Chawker
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Re: Corn vs Chopper
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 am
  • Congratulations on your corn crop!
    I was obsessed with trying to grow corn when I was a kid (maybe 10 or so)... we had a small fruit orchard at the time. The first time was a disaster. I planted about ten seeds in a single line; the prevailing winds largely blew across the line, and each cob was sparsely populated with seeds. Then, I learned about wind-borne pollination, planted them in square plots, and got great cobs. My mother blanched surplus and froze them, and it was great.

That was fifty years ago... but as an adult (go figure) I now find corn on the cob utterly horrible! Like tuna (mornay), I don't know how I ever liked it!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm
  • WOW ! Its now day 2 and still no chopper :229031_confused2:

Something big must of come apart, I looked up the model and its got 550 h.p. John deere self propelled model.

Corn 2

Chopper 0

I'll be back after a word from our stations....
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:26 am
  • OK, what does a corn chopper look like? It must be expensive. How much corn (area? approx plants?) is there on your farm?

I hope there are no weasels in your corn. :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 pm
  • There is a name of the machine..

A forage harvester -- also known as a silage harvester, forager or chopper -- is a farm implement that harvests forage plants to make silage. Silage is grass, corn or hay, which has been chopped into small pieces, and compacted together in a storage silo, silage bunker, or in silage bags
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 am
  • I think I've been s-l-o-w again. I've realised, I think, that this "chopper" just demolishes the spent corn plants, after the cobs have been harvested.

OK, if that is correct - how do the cobs get picked? By hand? I think I imagined a benign HG Wells-type machine methodically picking cobs, and then chopping up the rest. Guess I over-thought it. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information