Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shelter gives dog back to owner for free

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Shelter gives dog back to owner for free
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm
  • "Earlier this month, Jessica Jade, the manager of operations at Santa Rosa County Animal Services, shared a post on Facebook about Glock, a ″sweet deaf pup″ that was in their care for almost two weeks when his owner came ″crying″ with his vet records.

″ 'She says, through her sobs, 'Can I please have my dog? I don’t have any money to get him out.' When I ask who her dog is, she continues to cry and beg, telling me she can’t afford to get him out. I tell her, 'it’s okay, we got you. You’re getting your dog back,' " Jade explained.

https://people.com/pets/florida-animal- ... -with-dog/

She's from a county-owned shelter. That means that the county paid money to get the dogcatchers to capture the dog so it wouldn't go into the street or bite people. Vet techs then administered vaccinations to the animal that they're all supposed to have after an actual vet looked it over. From there it was moved to a kennel where it got 12/24 observance by staff on down to the texture and appearance of its bowel movements, its behavior and any signs of sickness.

That's why, here, it costs about $300 in redemption fees even if it's just there a night.

Microchip your dog or cat and maybe some of these costs go away. It's not like they enjoy going through the county procedure and the county sure doesn't enjoy not getting its money back.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:"Earlier this month, Jessica Jade, the manager of operations at Santa Rosa County Animal Services, shared a post on Facebook about Glock, a ″sweet deaf pup″ that was in their care for almost two weeks when his owner came ″crying″ with his vet records.

″ 'She says, through her sobs, 'Can I please have my dog? I don’t have any money to get him out.' When I ask who her dog is, she continues to cry and beg, telling me she can’t afford to get him out. I tell her, 'it’s okay, we got you. You’re getting your dog back,' " Jade explained.

https://people.com/pets/florida-animal- ... -with-dog/

She's from a county-owned shelter. That means that the county paid money to get the dogcatchers to capture the dog so it wouldn't go into the street or bite people. Vet techs then administered vaccinations to the animal that they're all supposed to have after an actual vet looked it over. From there it was moved to a kennel where it got 12/24 observance by staff on down to the texture and appearance of its bowel movements, its behavior and any signs of sickness.

That's why, here, it costs about $300 in redemption fees even if it's just there a night.

Microchip your dog or cat and maybe some of these costs go away. It's not like they enjoy going through the county procedure and the county sure doesn't enjoy not getting its money back.

300 BUCKS for a night in a kennel is outrages, they should at least hold for a amount of time before doing all the medical stuff unless the animal is in duress, with Fireworks, dumb Postman, kids leaving doors open an animal gets out and is curious.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Why is this in the “politics” forum?

Cool story and good PSA but absolutely suitable for the lounge.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:Why is this in the “politics” forum?

Why are you trying to Moderate, sucking up for a repeat ???? This is like the third thread today.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Well, I put it here because at least where I live, it's a contentious political topic.

People are always contacting the supervisors because in their POV, it's outrageous to be hit with a $300 bill just because Pupper got out.

But it's not outrageous. Our shelter is public/private, with the public side including those who deal with loose dogs.

A loose dog call will cause a dispatcher making about $25/hour to dispatch at least two officers also making $25 in a county vehicle.It'll usually take two hours including transport to bring the dog into care, so that's $150 right there that the county is expecting to be paid back. It's in the contract.

After that the county requires that all animals get certain vaccinations even before placement in the kennel because of the widespread likelihood of disease happening. That's another $50 in materials plus another $25 of staff time just for the vet tech time.

Then a kennel needs to be fixed so that the animal can be housed, fed and observed for whatever period before the owner comes back. The staff who do that get paid about $20/hour.

If/when owners come back they have to pay for the license as that is required and something that they often don't have.

Companion animals cost a lot and dogs probably cost the most of them.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• We pay taxes for police and public servants, they work for the county and is on that payroll, they get paid.

So throw out that first bit, they use 2 additional officers, that is over kill, it's like 4 cops for a speeding ticket, just pumping up costs.

Wide spread disease? Most pet owners well responsible pet owners get their pets vaccinated, again you say preventative I say a way to charge up a service, I get erring on the side of caution, but do you get all your shots every time you go to the Doctor if you can't remember the dates?

20 dollars an hour to watch a dog in a kennel, I bet a lot of people on public assistance could use that job, more over charging, there are cameras that can do that.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Why is this in the “politics” forum?

Why are you trying to Moderate, sucking up for a repeat ???? This is like the third thread today.

You need a life.

It appears that Seahawks dot Net is all you have.

Trust me, it’s not to late.
    You can find something worth your time.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

You need a life.

So that's a yes, WE THOUGHT SO.

Well we have a thing called multi tasking where I am from, I know that Mental hurdles are difficult for some to handle. Some can just do a flat track in one direction very slow with no Mud flaps.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

You need a life.

So that's a yes, WE THOUGHT SO.

Well we have a thing called multi tasking where I am from, I know that Mental hurdles are difficult for some to handle. Some can just do a flat track in one direction very slow with no Mud flaps.

This Seahawks forum has sub forums for a reason.

It’s to maintain a measure of order.

We all have a responsibility to the community, policing ourselves helps alleviate the work load.

A concept that you easily should be able to grasp.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Maybe you can Doggie sit if your looking for a Job, you may have to move to San Francisco though for that wage.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• My neighbors run a day dog-sitting business for small dogs. Their rate is about $35/day and month-to-month contracts are required.

I also know dog-walkers. Their rate is about $20/hour. It is profitable for them because they'll book 6-8 animals. In SF they'll go to one of two dog parks with natural barriers and just let the dogs run around.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:We pay taxes for police and public servants, they work for the county and is on that payroll, they get paid.

So throw out that first bit, they use 2 additional officers, that is over kill, it's like 4 cops for a speeding ticket, just pumping up costs.

Wide spread disease? Most pet owners well responsible pet owners get their pets vaccinated, again you say preventative I say a way to charge up a service, I get erring on the side of caution, but do you get all your shots every time you go to the Doctor if you can't remember the dates?

20 dollars an hour to watch a dog in a kennel, I bet a lot of people on public assistance could use that job, more over charging, there are cameras that can do that.

Well, I sorta agree with some of this. I mean if there's a current microchip and license tag on the dog, that'd save potential expenses by having the shelter kennel the dog for a couple hours while the owner comes...but the county DPH requires all animals be vaccinated. I mean all. Even for animals surrendered for euthanasia they'll give them the needle for the vax, and then the Needle.

The animal control part I don't agree with. A loose dog situation can involve traffic. There are sometimes behavioral issues around the capture or transport so I think an additional ACO is prudent.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information