Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Last Black Man In San Francisco/Blindspotting

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Anybody seen either of these movies?

Stylistically, the two movies couldn't be any different. Thematically, lots of similarities. Both movies center around a pair of friends native to the Bay Area struggling with issues of culture and identity in the rapidly gentrifying cities of San Francisco and Oakland, respectively.

Both movies are directed by young, relatively new directors and are written by the young men who star in them (Jimmie Fails in TLBMISF, Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs in Blinspotting) and are loosely autobiographical, or at least based in part on the experiences of their respective stars/writers.

Blindspotting (not streaming for free anywhere rn, but airing 10/9 on BET if you're not into paying for movies) takes a more lighthearted approach, incorporating hood culture & rap/hip hop elements while taking on the issues of law enforcement and incarceration as our lead characters Colin and Miles struggle to escape the roles and stereotypes society has applied to them (some more appropriately than others).

TLBMISF (currently streaming on Amazon Prime) on the other hand is a little more artsy and abstract. Our lead characters Jimmie and Montgomery, awkward outsiders to a group of friends clinging to street life in their rapidly changing and changed neighborhood, look to find and understand their place in the world, albeit in a rather unexpectedly carefree way. (Beside Fails, this movie also stars Jonathan Majors who, if you've seen Lovecraft Country or Da 5 Bloods, among others, you know he's one of Hollywood's best up and coming actors)

Anyway, if you haven't seen one or either of these movies, I most definitely recommend both of them. Particularly if the concept of gentrification is something you're looking to understand a little better. And if not, don't let that turn you off. Neither of these movies are preachy or judgmental and are honestly both really entertaining IMO. This isn't school. TLBMISF in particular is absolutely beautiful, turning the city of SF into what at times feels like a fantasy world straight out of a Tolkein novel.

If you have seen one or both of these, curious to hear your thoughts and opinions.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Oh and one other interesting similarity, not sure if this is just a coincidence or if there's some strange level of synchronicity going on, but Blindspotting features a cameo by Tisha Campbell aka Gina from Martin and TLBMISF features a cameo by Tichina Arnold aka Pam from Martin. Which is fantastic and hilarious IMO.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Please somebody watch these movies and talk to me about them. :laugh: :laugh:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I have them on the list, my report might miss the deadline though.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Starter

• Hey I got a response!!

You take your time. You just enjoy yourself.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information