Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Ford Focus SE transmission issues

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
2016 Ford Focus SE transmission issues
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 pm
  • For 13 years, I had been proudly putting around Spokane in a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo.
    I loved that car.
    Unfortunately, the water pump went out on top of multiple other issues, and it just became unfeasible to keep it running.

    So, I traded her in for a 2016 Ford Focus SE back in June this year. I would post pictures but I can't seem to figure it out anymore.
    It's slick black, has cool looking headlights, very sporty. It has neat interior floorboard lights, a backup camera, USB ports, all of this stuff is so new to me but so awesome! The best feature for me was the incredible gas mileage. We drove to Seattle with nearly 1/3 tank to spare in July. Incredible compared to my old Monte.

    After my last road trip to visit the in laws in Colville, WA, I noticed the first issue with my prized possession. It began shifting very rough in city travel. Trying to stop and go became a chore. It continued to lurch and it feels like riding a wooden roller coaster when accelerating at a stop light.

    After doing some reseach, I see now that there are widespread issues with all 2012-2016 Ford Focus and Fiesta models. It appears Ford installed a manual transmission in these vehicles, and the CPU makes the transmission act as an automatic, which puts too much stress on it and causes it to fail.

    I'm not a mechanic. The most I know about cars is how to drive one. Is anybody out there a mechanic that has heard of my issue? Are there any reccomendations that you have, or am I pretty much S.O.L. at this point?

    Thank you,
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3761
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Jerhawk wrote:For 13 years, I had been proudly putting around Spokane in a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo.
    I loved that car.
    Unfortunately, the water pump went out on top of multiple other issues, and it just became unfeasible to keep it running.

    So, I traded her in for a 2016 Ford Focus SE back in June this year. I would post pictures but I can't seem to figure it out anymore.
    It's slick black, has cool looking headlights, very sporty. It has neat interior floorboard lights, a backup camera, USB ports, all of this stuff is so new to me but so awesome! The best feature for me was the incredible gas mileage. We drove to Seattle with nearly 1/3 tank to spare in July. Incredible compared to my old Monte.

    After my last road trip to visit the in laws in Colville, WA, I noticed the first issue with my prized possession. It began shifting very rough in city travel. Trying to stop and go became a chore. It continued to lurch and it feels like riding a wooden roller coaster when accelerating at a stop light.

    After doing some reseach, I see now that there are widespread issues with all 2012-2016 Ford Focus and Fiesta models. It appears Ford installed a manual transmission in these vehicles, and the CPU makes the transmission act as an automatic, which puts too much stress on it and causes it to fail.

    I'm not a mechanic. The most I know about cars is how to drive one. Is anybody out there a mechanic that has heard of my issue? Are there any reccomendations that you have, or am I pretty much S.O.L. at this point?

    Thank you,

    Might want to check and see if there is a recall/or a warning on it.

    Had a throttle body issue with my Fusion that wasnt a recall but Ford said they’d fix it if it went out, which it did, which caused it to stall out on 99/Aurora. Some how limped it home and limped it 3 miles to a Ford dealer the next day.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33397
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • We had a 2013 Ford Focus SE and almost right after driving it off the lot we had problems with the transmission. We took it in several times and they would replace the clutch mechanism and software updates...There was a class action lawsuit that covers the 2012-2016 Ford Focus owners but nothing ever came out of it for us. My wife has a full folder documenting this issue. It's been a nightmare. Below is a link if you would like to inquire further.

    http://www.fordtransmissionsettlement.com
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14884
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Awesome thank you guys. I will look into those options and check that link. Im sorry to hear of your guy's issues.

    About 5 weeks ago I received a letter for a recall on the clutch actuator motors, so I took it to a Ford dealer in town and they fixed it free of charge.

    It ran better for a couple weeks, then it started acting up again. So weird and frustrating
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3761
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Yep same. We would take it in, they would say they fixed it and at first it would seem they did but after a few weeks the problem would come right back. My biggest beef is they never once took ownership of the flaw. Making us feel like it was some weird random issues when they knew damn full well of the issue.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14884
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:Yep same. We would take it in, they would say they fixed it and at first it would seem they did but after a few weeks the problem would come right back. My biggest beef is they never once took ownership of the flaw. Making us feel like it was some weird random issues when they knew damn full well of the issue.


    That's awful. Yeah the Ford guy i talked to acted like it was something new. Me, being naive about it, didn't give it a second thought.

    I was proud to buy this car because it's American made. It has a sticker saying it was made in Michigan. For some reason i got excited about that.

    A lot of good that did lol... What a joke. I'll never buy a Ford again
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3761
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:Yep same. We would take it in, they would say they fixed it and at first it would seem they did but after a few weeks the problem would come right back. My biggest beef is they never once took ownership of the flaw. Making us feel like it was some weird random issues when they knew damn full well of the issue.


    That's awful. Yeah the Ford guy i talked to acted like it was something new. Me, being naive about it, didn't give it a second thought.

    I was proud to buy this car because it's American made. It has a sticker saying it was made in Michigan. For some reason i got excited about that.

    A lot of good that did lol... What a joke. I'll never buy a Ford again


    And isn't that the saddest part of all? We are all about Japanese-made cars and that's a damn shame.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14884
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • I feel for you man..I have a Honda Accord (5 speed auto)
    They put a nice powerful V-6 engine in this but it needed
    a 6 speed transmission which they did a year after mine
    and Honda never owned up to it..It ended up failing and
    I had to go through hell ..I got a completely rebuilt one
    from Florida and had it shipped here.It's great for 100K
    but after that it will go..
    If I'm you I would go to YouTube and see if someone has
    a modified harness that eliminates that issue..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5934
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • IndyHawk wrote:I feel for you man..I have a Honda Accord (5 speed auto)
    They put a nice powerful V-6 engine in this but it needed
    a 6 speed transmission which they did a year after mine
    and Honda never owned up to it..It ended up failing and
    I had to go through hell ..I got a completely rebuilt one
    from Florida and had it shipped here.It's great for 100K
    but after that it will go..
    If I'm you I would go to YouTube and see if someone has
    a modified harness that eliminates that issue..


    Oh man I'm sorry to hear of your issues as well.
    Thank you for the advise I'll keep digging.

    One guy did have a modification video on YouTube, but ive never worked on a car before.
    Plus, i still have it under a carmax warranty so I would probably void the warranty if I broke something lol.

    Have you find a new vehicle?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3761
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Well that modified harness is what you need that Ford won't do so
    sure it's a tough choice but how long is the warranty good for?
    I got a Japanese car for a reason but it was made in U.S
    The Transmission is from Japan..It's not a bad transmission but
    a 5 speed auto cannot handle the 3.0 V-Tec V-6 for much over
    a 100 thousand miles..It should have the 6-speed that Acuras
    have.I still have the car with a rebuilt transmission it's all good
    till it reaches the 100k mark.I don't plan on waiting that long
    and I'm getting the Acura next time.
    Good luck with your situation,car companies do not like to
    admit engineering flaws.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5934
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm




It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests