Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 wins again-Arecibo telescope collapses...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Many of us remember this telescope from the Jodie Foster movie Contact. It's real, and has been there since the 60's. It's been used for, among other things, tracking asteroids on near Earth orbits. Maintenance has been ignored or non-existant for years and apparently Maria further damaged it fatally. Science loses again.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-huge-puer ... scope.html

Huge Puerto Rico radio telescope, already damaged, collapses

A huge, already damaged radio telescope in Puerto Rico that has played a key role in astronomical discoveries for more than half a century completely collapsed on Tuesday.

The telescope's 900-ton receiver platform fell onto the reflector dish more than 400 feet below.

The U.S. National Science Foundation had earlier announced that the Arecibo Observatory would be closed. An auxiliary cable snapped in August, causing a 100-foot gash on the 1,000-foot-wide (305-meter-wide) dish and damaged the receiver platform that hung above it. Then a main cable broke in early November.

sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I remember this better from GoldenEye than Contact.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I remember this more from The X-Files than GoldenEye or Contact. (Waits for Todd to approve. :lol:)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:I remember this more from The X-Files than GoldenEye or Contact. (Waits for Todd to approve. :lol:)

I approve this message. :greetingsearthling:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I wouldn’t have remembered it from any of those shows but now that y’all mention it I do.

It will be interesting to see if it ever makes the show “mysteries of the abandoned”.

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows ... abandoned/

Which BTW, I find very interesting.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information