Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sciency stuff-Why no channel 37 (with aliens)...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Why Channel 37 Doesn’t Exist (And What It Has to Do With Aliens)

Since the advent of analog TVs, channel 37 has always been static. Here's why.
    ES
    by Ernie Smith
    March 9, 2021, 7:05am

A version of this post originally appeared on Tedium, a twice-weekly newsletter that hunts for the end of the long tail.

I’m endlessly fascinated by stories of the quirks that were built into the TV system where the well-laid plans of the system simply fell apart because it was asked to do too many things.

Nearly five years ago, I wrote about one of them, the tale of how radio broadcasters were able to shoehorn an additional FM station into the radio because of the proximity of TV’s channel 6 to the rest of the radio feed.

So when I was informed that there was another oddity kinda like this involving the TV lineups, I decided I had to take a dive in.

It’s a tale that centers around channel 37, which was a giant block of static in most parts of the world during the 20th century.

The reason for that was simple: it couldn’t fend off its scientific competition.

Much more at link.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Great read, thanks for the article.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information