Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HBO MAX: Zack Snyder’s Justice League

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
HBO MAX: Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 am
  • ZSJL debuts today on HBO max. Can’t wait to get off work and watch this (hopefully) masterful 4 hour redemption story. Has anyone else seen it yet? Going to? Am I the only one? Am I too early?? Lois. Lois is the key....
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• I tried.. couldn't finish it.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I'm about an hour in. Gonna watch the rest tonight after work.

Couple things:

First, I have to admit that I barely remember the original cut. As I'm watching this, a lot of it is unfamiliar and I can't tell if that's because it's new stuff or I just don't remember it.

Second, 4k is weird at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When I first heard it was 4:3 I thought I wouldn't be able to get into it, but I got used to it quick enough. Still weird though when I think about it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• 4:3 was a little jarring at first, but I watched that format for a majority of my life. I remember I had an old CRT monitor and refused to switch to those new fancy widescreen ones.

I too barely remember watching the original. I like this one so far. Don't mind the length. No problem making it a two day event. Nice to have some added back story and context to the characters, especially Cyborg.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• It didn't seem 4 hrs long to me, really liked the Cyborg back story and depth, Steppenwolf depth, Flash depth. Tieing up stuff made it flow nicely.

Having it broken into Parts and segments in the flow made it easy to get up for Bathroom and snacks also.

Infinity War, Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Movies were all long, when the product is good time flies, its when the product isn't you are looking at the clock.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Dammit, just when I decided to cancel my subscription. Figures.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I thought it was great, not even a question its a separate/unique movie than Joss Whedon's version.

The 4:3 looked strange at first, but the advantage is we got to see more.....I had an old copy of the 2017 version, and compared some similar shots. In this new version, we get more on the tops and bottom, nothing cut off to create the letterbox. Kinda cool to see them side by side.

Another huge thing, Snyder not only added 2 hours, but he removed most of Whedon's corny jokes and odd awkward conversations. Whedon did his best to turn the movie into a Marvel movie.... all that is gone. Batman is back to being Batman, instead of an attempt to be a funny Tony Stark clone. The whole tone and look of the movie is back to being darker, and more serious.

Cyborg's story makes sense now, which is integral to the story. We get to see how powerful Flash is. Just overall the story makes sense, its all fleshed out. Even the music choices were better.

Just forget the old version exist, this is the real version.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I really liked it. Didn't feel that long to me. And, frankly, I didn't have a problem with the Joss Whedon version, but I liked this better. Lots of stuff to like, but the post-apocalyptic dream scene at the end was really amazing, I thought.

Especially being able to watch this at home, the length of the movie just doesn't make a big difference. Tell a good story, we'll sit and watch.
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• It's better than the theatrical version, though that's not saying much, I do think it's much better than MoS and BvS. The biggest problem is the editing. There's way too much indulgence in the film, particularly involving Snyder's obsession with slow motion. Any scene he uses it that doesn't specifically relate to the Flash's power should have been cut. Martian Manhunter was a completely pointless addition, as was the Joker. They add nothing. Amy Adams is almost completely wasted. The village people singing off Aquaman just felt weird and awkward.

Cyborg was easily the best part of the film, everything added involving him (save for the slo-mo football scene) was absolutely to the film's benefit. They did a much better job with Barry Allen than the theatrical version, and his humor felt more natural in the Snyder Cut.

All that said, they could easily cut AT LEAST an hour and a half from the runtime and only improve the film by doing so. Not the worst way to spend a few hours, though.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I feel like in order to make it as different from the original as possible they left in a bunch of $h!t that would normally have been cut.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I feel like in order to make it as different from the original as possible they left in a bunch of $h!t that would normally have been cut.

I disagree. If you cut it to 2 and a 1/2 hours, it'd still be 35 minutes longer than the theatrical edition.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I feel like in order to make it as different from the original as possible they left in a bunch of $h!t that would normally have been cut.

I disagree. If you cut it to 2 and a 1/2 hours, it'd still be 35 minutes longer than the theatrical edition.

I'm confused. I'm saying they left in way more $h!t than they needed to. You disagree with that?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I feel like in order to make it as different from the original as possible they left in a bunch of $h!t that would normally have been cut.

I'm confused. I'm saying they left in way more $h!t than they needed to. You disagree with that?

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying that you felt it was only different because they left all that stuff in, not that you think they felt like they had to leave it in to differentiate. If that is true, It's pretty foolish. All the added Cyborg stuff made it a substantially different film, and the final battle was far more coherent.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I thought the movie was entertaining enough. It didn't have to be 4 hours long though. And....spoilers ahead...

The whole Darkseid and Steppenwolf not realizing that Earth was Earth thing really bugs me. Darkseid lost the mother boxes in a battle on Earth, then Steppenwolf finds the mother boxes on Earth, but doesn't put 2 and 2 together that this is obviously the planet that had the anti life equation since the mother boxes are there? Seems like a massive plot hole to me.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• either way i was way more impressed by zach snyder , it was just better all the way around
    Tailor it how you'd like to do see it if you can become a director or just enjoy it
    I would much rather have seen this version in the theater by far period
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying that you felt it was only different because they left all that stuff in, not that you think they felt like they had to leave it in to differentiate. If that is true, It's pretty foolish. All the added Cyborg stuff made it a substantially different film, and the final battle was far more coherent.

I thought it was just about right.... honestly it should have been two movies, WB being WB rushed it, and condensed the story, and the character building. I think Snyder even envisioned it having a real intermission in his theatrical cut.

Also to the point about making it as different as possible from the theatrical cut, by leaving in a bunch of stuff. Snyder never saw the theatrical cut by Whedon, he never watched it. Once he walked away, that was that. So he didn't make any comparisons to that version. He came back and simply made the movie that he wanted. I really don't think there was any motivation to make something different than Whedon.

PS

I've been watching these comparison videos..... very interesting to see the differences. Kinda amazing how different they can be with the same stock footage.

twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I thought it was just about right.... honestly it should have been two movies, WB being WB rushed it, and condensed the story, and the character building. I think Snyder even envisioned it having a real intermission in his theatrical cut.

Also to the point about making it as different as possible from the theatrical cut, by leaving in a bunch of stuff. Snyder never saw the theatrical cut by Whedon, he never watched it. Once he walked away, that was that. So he didn't make any comparisons to that version. He came back and simply made the movie that he wanted. I really don't think there was any motivation to make something different than Whedon.

PS

I've been watching these comparison videos..... very interesting to see the differences. Kinda amazing how different they can be with the same stock footage.

It doesn't have a structure you could break into two movies. The first 2 hours would suck as a film. A large amount of runtime could be cut if he just dumped all the slow motion that didn't pertain to Flash. Seriously, did Lois Lane putting down a coffee cup need to be in slo-mo?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    It doesn't have a structure you could break into two movies. The first 2 hours would suck as a film. A large amount of runtime could be cut if he just dumped all the slow motion that didn't pertain to Flash. Seriously, did Lois Lane putting down a coffee cup need to be in slo-mo?

Looking at the finished product now, maybe. But if it was planned from the beginning to spread it out over 2 movies, or even an origin film for Flash or Cyborg or even (Deathstroke).... that was my point. They rushed it, the whole thing. They should have learned from Marvel, road map it out years in the future. But it is what it is, we missed out on so much. I was watching an interview with Joe Manganiello, they had so much planned for the Snyderverse, alls scrapped. Shame.

What's a large amount of runtime? Take away the slo-mo, save 60 seconds? I liked the slow motion personally.

If you thought it was too long, and had too much extra fluff, thats cool, I hear ya. I thought it was about right, when I watched I broke it up into 2 sessions, seemed to work for me. :2thumbs:
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Looking at the finished product now, maybe. But if it was planned from the beginning to spread it out over 2 movies, or even an origin film for Flash or Cyborg or even (Deathstroke).... that was my point. They rushed it, the whole thing. They should have learned from Marvel, road map it out years in the future. But it is what it is, we missed out on so much. I was watching an interview with Joe Manganiello, they had so much planned for the Snyderverse, alls scrapped. Shame.

What's a large amount of runtime? Take away the slo-mo, save 60 seconds? I liked the slow motion personally.

If you thought it was too long, and had too much extra fluff, thats cool, I hear ya. I thought it was about right, when I watched I broke it up into 2 sessions, seemed to work for me. :2thumbs:

No, this wasn't planned as 2 movies. They planned 2 Justice League movies, but they canceled part 2 to focus on the first after BvS underperformed. The second film would've been about Darkseid. All the footage in this film was shot for one film.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Been a while since I saw Aquaman and the original. Justice League. It seemed like some scenes with Aquaman and Nick Note were added here like that conversation that messes up the time line and how Aquaman went down. Or am I not remembering right?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

No, this wasn't planned as 2 movies. They planned 2 Justice League movies, but they canceled part 2 to focus on the first after BvS underperformed. The second film would've been about Darkseid. All the footage in this film was shot for one film.

Also, 10% of the running time was slow motion:

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-snyder-cut-movie-slow-motion-runtime/
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information