Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sciency stuff-bad news FTL won't work, but it might be used

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • for other things.

New warp drive research dashes faster-than-light travel dreams

But reveals stranger possibilities.

By Sam Baron, Australian Catholic University

In 1994, physicist Miguel Alcubierre proposed a radical technology that would allow faster than light travel: the warp drive, a hypothetical way to skirt around the universe’s ultimate speed limit by bending the fabric of reality.

It was an intriguing idea – even NASA has been researching it at the Eagleworks laboratory – but Alcubierre’s proposal contained problems that seemed insurmountable. Now, a recent paper by US-based physicists Alexey Bobrick and Gianni Martire has resolved many of those issues and generated a lot of buzz.

But while Bobrick and Martire have managed to substantially demystify warp technology, their work actually suggests that faster-than-light travel will remain out of reach for beings like us, at least for the time being.

There is, however, a silver lining: warp technology may have radical applications beyond space travel.
    Across the universe?

The story of warp drives starts with Einstein’s crowning achievement: general relativity. The equations of general relativity capture the way in which spacetime – the very fabric of reality – bends in response to the presence of matter and energy which, in turn, explains how matter and energy move.

More at link.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• These science posts don't always get a lot of engagement or replies, but I hope that doesn't lead you to think they are unappreciated. Please don't stop posting them. I can't speak for everyone, but I assure you that at least one member of this board really enjoys them.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• Thanks fan. Sometimes I do wonder. :)
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• It's an interesting read, to comment on it is difficult since the way it's explained requires a pretty deep understanding.

The thing that is interesting is they went from implausible to plausible now, just have some obstacles that have yet to be realized to be invented and or discovered.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• They are definitely appreiciated
    Thx so much and please continue them :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 11:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information