Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cascadia

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Cascadia
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 am
  • Was reading an article about a soccer player and he was described as a Cascadian International. Now I'm very interested in Geography but I'd never heard of this place. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a part of the world I thought I knew quite well.

So I ask, what gives? Is it a region asking for independence a la Catalonia in Spain? Why on Earth is it recognised independently in sports? Does anyone here identify as Cascadian?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Cascadia
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:21 am
  • Do I have to Google it myself, or can you give a short explanation of what "Cascadia" is in particular?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:Do I have to Google it myself, or can you give a short explanation of what "Cascadia" is in particular?

You've kind of answered my question....

The Cascadia Association Football Federation (CAFF) represents the Cascadia region of the US and Canada. They are composed of players from Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

The stated ambition of the team: ‘To allow Cascadia as distinct cultural entity, isolated bioregion and growing society with common interests to be represented at the international level in the sport we are all passionate about.’

Cascadia FA has the mission of forming a men’s, women’s and mixed national team.

The Cascadia national team is expected to have a high footballing level as Cascadia is known as “the epicenter of US football”. Many professional coaches and players have declared their interest to play for the team. Until today they are still waiting for their first ever international match.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:15 pm
  • Cascadia is a bioregion that ranges from parts of Alaska in the north, down through parts of BC and Yukon, all of Washington, and parts of Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, California & Nevada. It's basically the Pacific Northwest, which sort of has its own cultural identity, at least to a certain degree. It's not all that different from say New England, or the Great Plains, or Appalachia, other than it crosses the border and exists in two different countries. And yeah, soccer's been a big part of it.

It's not very important. It's kind of fun, I guess. I don't think many people take it all that seriously. Probably more useful when it comes to classifying plant and wildlife and geographic characteristics and stuff like that. It certainly doesn't give us any advantages when crossing the border between US & Canada.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:14 am
  • Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and in all of my 52 years on this planet I have never once used the term "Cascadia".
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 am
  • Aros wrote:Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and in all of my 52 years on this planet I have never once used the term "Cascadia".

Those of us on the West side don't, however the Eastern side wanted to use that name as the State name when they tried to push the succession button a few times from being part of the State of Washington.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and in all of my 52 years on this planet I have never once used the term "Cascadia".

Those of us on the West side don't, however the Eastern side wanted to use that name as the State name when they tried to push the succession button a few times from being part of the State of Washington.
    Should one over simplified and describe Cascadia as redneck northwest? Of the purported members, alaska, idaho, montana and wyoming are deep red, eastern WA and eastern OR red enough. Not sure how BC fit into it, quite sure Cascadia didn't want western WA and western OR.

This independent Cascadia will have to live off their natural resources, timber, energy and meat? As no more handouts from richer coastal cities. If Sun, wind etc ever became a thing, this Cascadia's economy will collapse, being landlock and became an agricultural 3rd world.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:54 pm
  • Aros wrote:Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and in all of my 52 years on this planet I have never once used the term "Cascadia".

If you've ever been to a Sounders, Timbers or Whitecaps game, you've seen this flag.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 1:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information