Seahawks signing CB Ahkello Witherspoon

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371959016914583554[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1371959318333911040[/tweet]

This was one of the guys I really wanted them to come away with. Loved him pre-draft. I'm comfortable with him and Reed on the outside.

getnasty

Reaction score
Couldn't hold his job in SF but hopefully is a cheap option.

Jville

Reaction score
C i00 vWsAA4l4Aformatjpgnamesmall

Film Room: Should the Colts sign Ahkello Witherspoon in free agency? >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/1/22260373/film-room-should-the-colts-sign-ahkello-witherspoon-in-free-agency[/urltargetblank]

Fade

Reaction score
Niners had injuries at corner last year, and he still only started in 4 games. So I wouldn't say I love it. This is better than paying Griffin big money, though.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Fade":3f7ykxde said:
Niners had injuries at corner last year, and he still only started in 4 games. So I wouldn't say I love it. This is better than paying Griffin big money, though.

Exactly. This is the epitome of a "meh" signing. From what i remember heading, he was the defensive version of Dante Pettis, regarding Shanahan's doghouse. Seems like an equivalent to Shaq when it comes to actually defending passes. Low INT and PD numbers. That doesn't always tell the whole story, though.

But who knows. He could turn out to be a steal.

rlkats

Reaction score
You all better hope he don’t play. He gets torched on a daily basis. He has big play ability but gets roasted for big gains. As a niners fan I am sorry you all are grabbing him. Hopefully it’s for a camp body.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":332n1li3 said:

When he was on the field, though, he performed at a premier level. Seamless scheme fit, too. I love everything about it.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
rlkats":2ltnc6p4 said:
You all better hope he don’t play. He gets torched on a daily basis. He has big play ability but gets roasted for big gains. As a niners fan I am sorry you all are grabbing him. Hopefully it’s for a camp body.

Played 350 snaps last year and allowed a sub-60 passer rating. Is he ACTUALLY bad, or is he just the fanbase whipping boy like Shaquill was here?

rlkats

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3eu1nup6 said:
Fade":3eu1nup6 said:

When he was on the field, though, he performed at a premier level. Seamless scheme fit, too. I love everything about it.

Sorry pal, I watched every game he played. He had spurts of good play followed by horrible coverage that he tried to fix by holding and PI calls. FYI niners fan here that is glad he is gone.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
rlkats":2yr8z0sj said:
Maelstrom787":2yr8z0sj said:
Fade":2yr8z0sj said:

Sorry pal, I watched every game he played. He had spurts of good play followed by horrible coverage that he tried to fix by holding and PI calls. FYI niners fan here that is glad he is gone.

I guess I'm just hoping it works out like Reed did, then. He's going to a coach who actually develops these cover-3 corners, so maybe it'll be a steal.

rlkats

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":gruwx387 said:
rlkats":gruwx387 said:
Maelstrom787":gruwx387 said:
Fade":gruwx387 said:

I guess I'm just hoping it works out like Reed did, then. He's going to a coach who actually develops these cover-3 corners, so maybe it'll be a steal.

Ya I was a bit upset when you all got Reed. He was good I thought. Witherspoon can play. He just craps the bed and it gets frustrating to watch. Hope he picks it up for you all. But it’s a 1 yr deal so not horrible.

SF49r

Reaction score
I liked this guy but he has flaws, expect 1 or 2 big chunk horribly timed DPIs or him getting torched deep at least once or twice every other game. Other than that hes not a bad player and flashed at times. Its really annoying how y'all are stealing from our team now lol

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
From a Reddit 49er fan:

49ers Fan on Reddit":jow8f40p said:
level 1
49ers
Droyd
20 minutes ago
This guy had such a weird career with the niners.
2017: Rookie year, he looked really good especially in the later part of the season
2018: Penciled in during training camp to be our CB1, and proceeded to be ass for the entire year
2019: Looked really good in the first few games of the year, and then got hurt. Emmanuel Moseley (who we just re-signed) took over his spot and played so well that he never gave it back. Witherspoon did play in a few games near the end of the year, but played terribly.
2020: Was in Shanahan's doghouse for most of the year, and only saw playing time because we had a ton of injured corners

I don’t mind the signing as a flyer but seems like a pretty typical PC reclamation project that has rarely worked out. I really like Neal so not a biggie to me. I’ll stop there to keep it on topic.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SF49r":ff9zx3t8 said:
I liked this guy but he has flaws, expect 1 or 2 big chunk horribly timed DPIs or him getting torched deep at least once or twice every other game. Other than that hes not a bad player and flashed at times. Its really annoying how y'all are stealing from our team now lol

Saleh was a Carroll disciple who ended up making his own twists, suddenly they were in the market for all the same DBs for a while there. Not sure if Ryans will continue that

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2z3cp3bh said:
He's going to a coach who actually develops these cover-3 corners

Ahhh, the Pete Carroll step-kick technique. The technique that he is so confident in that well more than half the CBs under his tutelage fail to grasp.

The majority of the successful CBs from the PC era are from the Kris Richard DB coach era.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":23mud4ra said:
rlkats":23mud4ra said:

Played 350 snaps last year and allowed a sub-60 passer rating. Is he ACTUALLY bad, or is he just the fanbase whipping boy like Shaquill was here?

Shaq was never consistently good is the issue. He made 1 pro bowl with a 77 PFF rating. The only year he has been 70 or above. He is not that good and definitely not a #1.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":104pofbw said:
Maelstrom787":104pofbw said:
rlkats":104pofbw said:

Shaq was never consistently good is the issue. He made 1 pro bowl with a 77 PFF rating. The only year he has been 70 or above. He is not that good and definitely not a #1.

Not trying to go sideways on this thread, but this totally reminds me of Marcus Trufant. Never that great, but had one really good season that got him paid. Then he reverted back to his old habits.