“They wanted it more.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get the context brother, I just don't buy it. Yeah, the Rams came out with a chip, played more aggressively, and dictated. I just think the reason was they were more prepared. They weren't in the locker saying "We sure want this more".

Every time we play McVay, it's like starting a 100 yard dash 10 yards behind. He had an answer for everything. We had an answer for nothing. Success brings confidence, and by the end of the game when they were kicking our ass in every facet, that confidence from their preparation perhaps displays itself as desire.

I'm with @AROS. You're pros. Be accountable. We don't need a master motivator, we need a master coach.

Not sure you want your starting QB at the podium saying any of these things. Thus the cliche "they wanted it more."

Do fans not understand that there's a LOT of BS when players talk to the media? I rolled my eyes too when I heard this, but not sure you want any player really telling us what they think undermining and criticizing his coaches and teammates. Especially one that only threw for like 9 yards the entire 2nd half and missed a bunch of wide open long plays.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The team typically plays with more fire and intensity when they are the underdog. When they are reading preseason clippings about being the favorites against a hapless Rams team? Not so much.

rjdriver

Reaction score
The team typically plays with more fire and intensity when they are the underdog. When they are reading preseason clippings about being the favorites against a hapless Rams team? Not so much.

Well,

If they keep it up, they'll be underdogs the next 3 months lol.

How they respond will be very telling.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
JS has constructed a very talented squad. One of the most talented squads in the NFC and should be commended for such a quick turn around and the infusion of youth.

PC though has to be held accountable for not reeling in Hurtt and his soft zone approach. Playing soft zone whether quarters, cover 2, cover 3, etc would work if you are guarding a two TD lead and you have a QB that struggles completing high percentage throws as time is being chewed up. Also it would work if the DBs lineup and defend the sticks but the failure to adjust to the game situation is the worst.

The offense needed a stop and a chance to flip field position given they lost two OTs. On the flipside the offense needed to stick to the run to give the defense a breather.

The Hawks did NOT play complimentary football at all and were humiliated at home by the Rams.

What talent are you referring to? Because defensively other than Bobby Wagner and Riq Woolen you could trade everyone for bags of shit and nothing would change. Yesterday's game was a showcase on how hilariously untalented we are

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m trying to think of a phrase that makes me want to chew glass more than that one.

Geno said that very phrase during his post game interview. We’ve all heard it before from many different players and teams through the years. It’s nothing new.

But it disgusts me as a diehard fan.

Why did the opponent want it more? What in the world could have caused a situation where YOU were not the team that “wanted it more?”

Lack of preparation? Lack of emotion or intensity? Taking the other team too lightly? There should never be a time in your life as a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars where you are not psychologically of the mind set of wanting it more than your opponent.

Meh. I could wax philosophical all night about the nuances of what went wrong but when I hear players say that phrase, especially our players, man it just makes me wince like I’ve been slapped.

Talk about an insult to all of us fans.
I don't disagree with anything you say, however, never having played professional sports I'm not sure what it takes to get up for a game. One would think it would be a natural part of their preparation. I really want to think that because this roster has so many young players on it that they bought into the hype and mailed it in. Or maybe they just suck. At least we have 16 more regular season games to hopefully get an answer we want. Unlike Geno, I need them to write back.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I get the context brother, I just don't buy it. Yeah, the Rams came out with a chip, played more aggressively, and dictated. I just think the reason was they were more prepared. They weren't in the locker saying "We sure want this more".

Every time we play McVay, it's like starting a 100 yard dash 10 yards behind. He had an answer for everything. We had an answer for nothing. Success brings confidence, and by the end of the game when they were kicking our ass in every facet, that confidence from their preparation perhaps displays itself as desire.

I'm with @AROS. You're pros. Be accountable. We don't need a master motivator, we need a master coach.
You figure this out all by yourself after 10 years of the same bullshit? Gold star for you given it seems you know what's going with this team and organization for the last 5 years at the very least.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Pete has always been very lax on discipline. It's been a topic of discussion in this forum and others ever since he arrived back in 2010 and is arguably one of the reasons why the LOB broke up like it did. Players lose respect for him.

I wonder how Dan Campbell, Detroit's head coach, would have handled the same situation. I sure got the impression that he was not one to give anything less than 100% effort. He was just as enthusiastic as Pete yet much more physically imposing and in your face.

Obviously, it's very, very premature, but in that 4th quarter yesterday, I got the impression that the players don't care. Metcalf and the others were joking around on the sidelines, congratulating each other.

If the league doesn't suspend Metcalf, which I'll be disappointed if they don't, Pete needs to sit his ass for at least a game, don't even let him travel to Detroit. It's not like yesterday was an out of character anomaly. If he's going to act like a child, treat him like one.
I agree you that players can't be getting fouls and taunting penalties. Metcalf and Diggs are supposed to be veterans.
Having said this , IMHO DK's hit on dude wasn't illegal. He wasn't even penalized. It was a legal although one might argue cheap. That Ram player will probably be watching a little closer next time.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors in the professional sports world.
Why would the defense come out on opening game so flat? Lifeless?

With all the hope we as fans have, this might just be rough season .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree you that players can't be getting fouls and taunting penalties. Metcalf and Diggs are supposed to be veterans.
Having said this , IMHO DK's hit on dude wasn't illegal. He wasn't even penalized. It was a legal although one might argue cheap. That Ram player will probably be watching a little closer next time.

It's a punk move, and shows a lack of class and sportsmanship.

But it's pretty apparent after four seasons now that's DK's jam, and he's not going to change. But it's lame.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I thought Stafford played just Fing lights out.

I don't hate the dude, he's just the opponent - but I gotta say he dissected us properly. Play after play after play.

Gotta tip your hat to Stafford - like him or not - that was quite the performance. The windows the dude was throwing into - with confidence - were crazy.

And you're right - did make Geno look like a schoolboy. Unfortunately.
Every QB in the league would dissect a defense like that if given the amount of time that Stafford had. He was hit twice in the entire game. Two QB hits for the Seahawks defense. That's pathetic.

far north

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but the Rams had a mean edge to them.You seen the late hits and helmet to helmet hits and got to all the key players on the Seahawks pretty much injuring most of them.On the contrast Rams completed about 20 passes in the middle of the field and i don't remember any big hits defending that area.The Hawks have assembled a group of high character skill young guys but do they have an NFL bite to their game.In the 3 preseason games and this one I seen mabye Bradford barking at players like he was gonna rip their head off but that's about it.Quandre some games does play this way but not yesterday.Maybe when Prez is back he will drive the intensity and aggression IDK.There wasn't lot of LOB or Marshawn style run you out of the building attitude.Fred warner and the Niners were crazy looking against Pittsburgh.I think they need some Ray Lewis injected into the D and o line.I will say Walker FAFO a guy and played pretty hard when he had the chance and I thought Jaran Reed looked mean and made plays but that's about it.Dk brought it only because they were after him.The Lions added Campbell and Branch both intense guys to an intense team I guess we will see if the Lions bully Seattle out of the building

RiverDog

Reaction score

The reason why it didn't get called is that the refs didn't see it, which is why McVay was going ballistic. There's no way that was a legal hit as it occurred away from the play and most likely after the whistle as you can see that several players had begun to let up.

Metcalf caught a huge break in not getting it called but he couldn't stand prosperity and had to start jacking his jaws.

However, I do agree that a suspension by the league isn't likely as there wasn't much of a risk of injury.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

You say "I want it more" BY preparing better and BY performing better. It's not a rah-rah light switch moment after a motivational locker room speech.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Every QB in the league would dissect a defense like that if given the amount of time that Stafford had. He was hit twice in the entire game. Two QB hits for the Seahawks defense. That's pathetic.

Stafford made some really good throws, especially the one he dropped into double coverage to Nacua in the 4th quarter to keep a long drive alive.

But yes, wide open pocket with plenty of time and vision against soft zones all day? That's high school level easy efficiency.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The reason why it didn't get called is that the refs didn't see it, which is why McVay was going ballistic. There's no way that was a legal hit as it occurred away from the play and most likely after the whistle as you can see that several players had begun to let up.

Metcalf caught a huge break in not getting it called but he couldn't stand prosperity and had to start jacking his jaws.

However, I do agree that a suspension by the league isn't likely as there wasn't much of a risk of injury.
Ok. I didn't know the play was dead . My mistake. I'm not defending what he did as I've been vocal in the past about his actions but have tried to hold my tongue so as to not be negative. I wonder what was going through their minds like "hey were supposed to take the NFC west this year. Didn't anyone tell the Rams?"

Haha

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ok. I didn't know the play was dead . My mistake. I'm not defending what he did as I've been vocal in the past about his actions but have tried to hold my tongue so as to not be negative. I wonder what was going through their minds like "hey were supposed to take the NFC west this year. Didn't anyone tell the Rams?"

Haha
No sweat, guy. I was sort of putting 2 and 2 together and had to go back and watch the replay to confirm it. Both Witherspoon and #0 were just jogging when Metcalf shoved him, so it's pretty obvious that the whistle had blown. Neither the announcers in the booth saw it live as they expressed surprise when they saw it on replay, so it would make sense that the refs didn't see it, either.

Metcalf's failure to control his temper on the field is just one of his problems. He got into it with Shannon Sharpe, who gets paid to do analysis and rightly criticized Metcalf for failing to step out of bounds on a critical play that nearly lost the game for us last season vs Pittsburgh. Metcalf called Sharpe, a HOF receiver, a "washed up wannabe." Metcalf not only plays stupid, he is stupid.

And you don't have to hold your tongue around me. I, too, have been criticized for being too negative.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I’m both relieved and annoyed by Geno’s statement. Relieved because he correctly diagnosed why we only played 30 minutes of football, but annoyed that he and the vets weren’t up in everyone’s faces during the second half telling their teammates they were not allowed to lose this game.

Stafford had a great day, but not because he’s a great quarterback. He threw behind people. He threw into coverage. We were just always a step slow in coverage and our rush.

On offense we lost both tackles, but that should be cause to up the intensity not just shrug and walkoff after every 3 and out.

The question for the season will be answered next week when we play Detroit. Will we come out with our hair on fire and play 60 minutes or will we just run around like we’re at the park with our buddies not keeping score?

RiverDog

Reaction score
This quote is what concerns me more than our loss yesterday:

Week 1 of the NFL season is deceiving. Always is. But watching the lost, defeated countenances on the sideline with a few minutes left to play, this team will need to look themselves in the mirror and bring a completely different effort next week against a much more talented Lions team on the road.

Starting the season 0-1 is no big deal even to an opponent we were supposed to beat. There were a lot of surprises yesterday, including some real ass kickings. But the way we lost is a big deal. We folded our tent halfway through the 4th quarter and down by two scores, still a very winnable game. That's a direct reflection on our coaching staff.

By all rights, we should lose next Sunday. The Lions are a better team than the Rams, they're coming off a huge win, it's their home opener, and they've had 10 days to prepare. It will be a good test to see just how good of a motivator Pete is.

knownone

Reaction score
I’m trying to think of a phrase that makes me want to chew glass more than that one.

Geno said that very phrase during his post game interview. We’ve all heard it before from many different players and teams through the years. It’s nothing new.

But it disgusts me as a diehard fan.

Why did the opponent want it more? What in the world could have caused a situation where YOU were not the team that “wanted it more?”

Lack of preparation? Lack of emotion or intensity? Taking the other team too lightly? There should never be a time in your life as a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars where you are not psychologically of the mind set of wanting it more than your opponent.

Meh. I could wax philosophical all night about the nuances of what went wrong but when I hear players say that phrase, especially our players, man it just makes me wince like I’ve been slapped.

Talk about an insult to all of us fans.
I doubt Geno meant the statement literally. He's using the cliche for the same reason all other players and coaches use it: to get through press conferences.

jcwa2493

Reaction score
I'm afraid the dark days are sadly back.

The whole organization needs some kind of reboot, we've clung to the glory of 2012-2014 for too long. I know it's week one but this was a home opener and it's been a long time since I felt this demoralized.