11 Draft Picks ... What to do?

seachickenfan1

Reaction score
massari":37pjwrvz said:
It seems like they're in that position where they can/should take the best player available regardless of position. Thats what I'm hoping for anyways.

Do you guys see any chance that they use Christine Michael as a chip to either move up or get a 3rd/4th/5th round pick then draft a RB who'll be a couple years younger and will have a couple more years left on a rookie contract than Michael?

Honestly I'm not sure C. Michael is smart enough to sign the trade papers. But I would like to see Buck Allen in a Hawk uni!

randomation

Reaction score
jdemps":gn8mmnal said:
Draft Roger Goodell at WR with our 7th round comp pick. The calls always go his way. Slant to Goodell at the one would've been DPI.

This seems to be the best plan.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't think we will trade any pics up or down so go on the assumption that we will move up and down with just about every pick we have, they're so unpredictable.

There's a few positions that I don't think need addressing and can wait till next year but a lot depends on how the rest of FA and resigning current players. If we don't lose anyone else I'd say we don't need to draft a corner, safety (weak class anyway), backup QB or tight end.

Stock up on O line, O line and more O line. It's clear our front office has set this group as the one that takes a hit on big earners in order to focus money on other areas which is fine as long as we keep rookies coming in through the draft.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
original poster":9sqb1586 said:
I don't think we will trade any pics up or down so go on the assumption that we will move up and down with just about every pick we have, they're so unpredictable.

While every draft is different, Seattle in the PC/JS era has traded down in every draft. Eight times in 5 drafts.

Part of that, was collecting quantity of talent. Seattle hasn't been in a position to have a collection of comp picks until this year. So we may see that subside some.

I wouldn't bet on that though. John has said on numerous occasions that they look at pockets of talent. That outlook greatly favors the ability to move back in the draft -- comfortable that you'll get one guy you like at a particular pick further down. I don't see this tiger changing his stripes any. I get the real sense, that John would be ok with a dozen picks in every draft.

What this year's comp pick allocation does open up, is the ability to trade for better picks in future years. Although again, John has been on record at least a couple times stating that he doesn't like trading for unknowns. When he trades back in the current year, he knows the prospects that should be there so he doesn't feel like he's really missing out on anything.

It's really the first year in our mature roster model. Where we should be getting 3-4 comp picks every single year. Having to reload about 4-6 positions every year. We should get a better feel for how the FO will operate going forward.

It's worth noting, that Seattle will trade up aggressively if the right talent is available. We did so for Jesse Williams and we also did so for Harvin and Graham. The two latter trades, I'd consider in the same way as trading up.

original poster

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2i432ks0 said:
original poster":2i432ks0 said:

While every draft is different, Seattle in the PC/JS era has traded down in every draft. Eight times in 5 drafts.

Part of that, was collecting quantity of talent. Seattle hasn't been in a position to have a collection of comp picks until this year. So we may see that subside some.

I wouldn't bet on that though. John has said on numerous occasions that they look at pockets of talent. That outlook greatly favors the ability to move back in the draft -- comfortable that you'll get one guy you like at a particular pick further down. I don't see this tiger changing his stripes any. I get the real sense, that John would be ok with a dozen picks in every draft.

What this year's comp pick allocation does open up, is the ability to trade for better picks in future years. Although again, John has been on record at least a couple times stating that he doesn't like trading for unknowns. When he trades back in the current year, he knows the prospects that should be there so he doesn't feel like he's really missing out on anything.

It's really the first year in our mature roster model. Where we should be getting 3-4 comp picks every single year. Having to reload about 4-6 positions every year. We should get a better feel for how the FO will operate going forward.

It's worth noting, that Seattle will trade up aggressively if the right talent is available. We did so for Jesse Williams and we also did so for Harvin and Graham. The two latter trades, I'd consider in the same way as trading up.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't bet money on what I said either (no draft trades), the unknown approach JS takes with the draft is one of his (many!) great skills. Nobody has a clue what he's going to do, the fans, the players, the opposition, no one.

Our last couple of drafts have been average to good but we need better (who doesn't) naturally as a fan trading up excites me more than trading down, I guess it comes down to success percentage. Yeah we have had huge success in the later rounds but a damn site more late drafts haven't worked out, the higher the draft pick, the more chance that player will come in as an impact player. JS has already said he only categorised 16 (I think?) players as legitimate first rounders so there isn't a single chance we trade up to that extent, the cost VS again just doesn't add up.

I think we're due another A+ draft though based on previous success against the last couple of drafts, these guys are the future for the franchise.

If there's one thing for sure, I can't wait to watch the second and third day's picks!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I could see us packaging a couple picks if there is a guy we want who we would project to start. Usually we don't start with 11 draft picks.

Otherwise I see a big draft for defnsive depth and offensive lineman.

We need DBs, LBs, DT, DEs, and OL.

The Jimmy Graham trade really settled down any major need for WR we had. We got our big target. Another reasonably large speed guy would be nice but only if it is there.