12th Man or Twelves?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I prefer 12th man, but if "twelves" stops people from saying we COPIED it then I support it.

As for the 12th man agreement, I didnt think it was a short term deal like that but I could be wrong.

Riley12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1gi212ho said:
This is a good point.

*Goes to trademark 'Twelves' *

Too late. If you listen to that "WeeHawk" fellow, he will inevitably start complaining that the Seahawks use
"twelves" without his permission. He produces some merchandise with it, like the "We in twelve", if I'm not mistaken.

I like the term "twelves" better, especially if Texas A&M gets off our backs. If they do try to coerce more money out of Paul Allen next time around, I say we take the whole thing to court and get to the bottom of the "12th Man" origins and who, if anyone can hold a copywrite.

That term has been around a loooooooong time before either the Seahawks or T 'n A M have been using it.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
I could be wrong but Aggies are..."______ _____"

How about we start trade-marking

Home of the 12's

Home of 12

Home of the Twelves

Home of the 12th man and woman

Home of the 12th fan....

Welcome to HELL TOWN.

Home of the LOB!

Surely we can play the word game to get beyond this or just keep paying them extortion fees.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Jay-Dog":12s6qu2s said:
I could be wrong but Aggies are..."______ _____"

How about we start trade-marking

Home of the 12's

Home of 12

Home of the Twelves

Home of the 12th man and woman

Home of the 12th fan....

Welcome to HELL TOWN.

Home of the LOB!

Surely we can play the word game to get beyond this or just keep paying them extortion fees.

I want that on a banner at the opener

LargentFan

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding slightly grammar nazi-ish, if we are going to refer to ourselves as "12s" we need to lose the apostrophe.
Nothing is ever pluralized by adding 's. Ever.
Normally, I wouldn't bother with this, but seeing as this has the potential to be sort of the identity of our fan base, we should get it right.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
LargentFan":1h40gzl9 said:
At the risk of sounding slightly grammar nazi-ish, if we are going to refer to ourselves as "12s" we need to lose the apostrophe.
Nothing is ever pluralized by adding 's. Ever.
Normally, I wouldn't bother with this, but seeing as this has the potential to be sort of the identity of our fan base, we should get it right.

I agree. Grammar is important in this new era. I suggest a Hawk feather in lieu of an an apostrophe. Hawk feathers added will override the English language and forgive any misunderstandings. :sarcasm_on:

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I noticed myself that whenever we were on def, I would scream at the TV, come on twelves! My wife would always say, I'm sure they can hear you...

Tical21

Reaction score
we're getting awfully close to a grey area here:

Exception:
Use apostrophes with capital letters and numbers when the meaning would be unclear otherwise.

Examples:
Please dot your i's.
You don't mean is.
Ted couldn't distinguish between his 6's and 0's.
You need to use the apostrophe to indicate the plural of zero or it will look like the word Os. To be consistent within a sentence, you would also use the apostrophe to indicate the plural of 6's.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the ATMs.

"Twelves" has two functions:

"Twelves" is a shorthand version of "12th Man" and
"Twelves" is plural, while "12th Man" is a collective singular.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1fjjx5t0 said:
I hope so. That way we can still show the number 12 and all that jazz, but we can hopefully put an end to this constant Texas A&M bull we have to deal with all the time. Then suddenly it's all about the twelves nationwide people keep talking about, and the Texas A&M 12th Man can just WISH they had the same following.
Don't worry about them. They can get sand in their panties and whine all they want, but they're going to lose any legal battle they get in about restricting NFL teams from using "12th Man".

It won't be us fighting that battle, it will be some other team that wants to get in on the marketing cash cow.

Latest posts