1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not generally a fan of drafting for need, I feel like it is logically flawed.

That stated, the problem of effective pro-ready OL simply being in such demand you cannot even get an average player out of the pool if you don't pick early, arises.

But it is more the track record of the Seahawks getting good results with high picks on OL that I am worried about. I suppose you have to call Okung a win, since other than being brittle he was a good pick and we did go to a SB with him. But it feels like given a chance to pull a good OL out of a mix, we don't example have a sterling record of getting top guys.

Maybe that is just perception though.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3jkqpel4 said:
So people been bitching about the Seahawks not addressing the oline for years and now people are bitching about them using their first round pick on an offensive tackle?

Rock on guys.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Funny stuff, eh Dom?

jake206

Reaction score
Still needs alot of work on technique. RT best position, but still is a work in progress. I think its doubtful he'll be dominating immediately, but I expect he'll play better later in the year.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3vjy7llt said:
Crizilla":3vjy7llt said:
TheRealDTM":3vjy7llt said:
Own The West":3vjy7llt said:
Perhaps we could have traded the 26th pick for 27th through 30th and then everyone on this board could be happy for once.

I'll take Ifedi and a 3rd though. That's good enough for me.

Arizona is the division champion, they got a better player than us that is going to compete against the player we drafted and kill him, we got worse today relatively, we didn't have to do that. This may change if we hit on the 1/100 odds that are a 3rd round pick but I think we'd been better off taking a sure thing.

you realize ARZ is a year or two from not having a QB right? And who knows if Palmer stays healthy for another 16+

Nkemdiche is going to play QB for them. He's JUST THAT GOOD.

Lol. Nkemdiche once knocked out five bank robbers while saving a woman and baby from a burning building. Then ran back in to save their new puppy. "The legend of a sure thing!"

v1rotv2

Reaction score
You know it's the same old story. Fans will bitch and moan about a pick without having all the inside knowledge the FO has only to change their opinions the more they learn about the player.

Here's an idea. How about we wait and see how they perform at this level after being coached by coaches who actually coach at this level?

crosfam

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if he develops as a back-up for a season, and then next year, when he is 22!, he takes over as starting RT (and dominates).

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If I thought Ifedi was anywhere close to his ceiling I might have a concern but he's not. I haven't heard anyone that doesn't like the pick give me a better alternative at 31 that can play Tackle and Guard either. He has all the tools to be a dominate OT that's why he has been consistently mocked in the first round .

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It seems like we picked a few othe linemen who are already pass pro ready in the later rounds. If they can hold down the fort long enough to allow this guy to develop and reach his potential then this was a great draft for us.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I like Ifedi. I like him a lot more if I pretend Seattle took him in the middle of the second round and Jarran Reed at the end of the first.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts. Seattle trainers tend to lean out the athletes. And focus on core strength. Which is good, I think Ifedi needs both.

Happy to read his rep for hard work. Gives me confidence he will respond to both trainers and coaching. As his core strength and conditioning improves, some of his bad technique will go away.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1mc39xk1 said:
austinslater25":1mc39xk1 said:
I view it as an extra third rounder although it doesn't really matter its within a 30 pick window where they can get a very good player and they know that. I think it was a steal from Seattle's end and maybe it works out well for Denver as well.

I think Dallas was offering a 4th and not a third which is being reported today.

Dallas offering a 4th would make WAY more sense considering their 4th was super early and only a few spots away from what we got

Dallas WAS offering their early 2nd and early 4th, per Peter King at MMQB.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl- ... peter-king

Now 9:54. Schneider back on the phone. The call was quick. Stephen Jones got off the phone, turned to Jerry Jones at the board, and as one eyewitness recalled, son said to father: “No way with Seattle. Too much. They want our two and three.”

Quiet in the room. “Thoughts?” Stephen Jones said to his father. “Any thoughts?”

They had a minute, maybe, to up the offer to Seattle, which was the only fish on the line. But no new offer was forthcoming. It was a minute later, maybe two, that Denver consummated the deal with Seattle for the chance to pick Lynch. The Denver deal was clearly better. Dallas was offering picks 34 and 101 for the 26th overall pick. Denver was offering picks 31 and 94—and by staying in the first round with its pick, Seattle got to control the player it picked for a fifth year, as opposed to four-year control for a second-round pick. Denver’s offer was superior. Dallas could have trumped Denver only one way—by offering its third, the 67th overall choice.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3bsru9ka said:
WilsonMVP":3bsru9ka said:
austinslater25":3bsru9ka said:
I view it as an extra third rounder although it doesn't really matter its within a 30 pick window where they can get a very good player and they know that. I think it was a steal from Seattle's end and maybe it works out well for Denver as well.

I think Dallas was offering a 4th and not a third which is being reported today.

Dallas offering a 4th would make WAY more sense considering their 4th was super early and only a few spots away from what we got

Now 9:54. Schneider back on the phone. The call was quick. Stephen Jones got off the phone, turned to Jerry Jones at the board, and as one eyewitness recalled, son said to father: “No way with Seattle. Too much. They want our two and three.”

Quiet in the room. “Thoughts?” Stephen Jones said to his father. “Any thoughts?”

They had a minute, maybe, to up the offer to Seattle, which was the only fish on the line. But no new offer was forthcoming. It was a minute later, maybe two, that Denver consummated the deal with Seattle for the chance to pick Lynch. The Denver deal was clearly better. Dallas was offering picks 34 and 101 for the 26th overall pick. Denver was offering picks 31 and 94—and by staying in the first round with its pick, Seattle got to control the player it picked for a fifth year, as opposed to four-year control for a second-round pick. Denver’s offer was superior. Dallas could have trumped Denver only one way—by offering its third, the 67th overall choice.
Personally, I'm glad we didn't take the Dallas offer. Somehow it just feels good to hear how much Jerrah is regretting not making the deal with us.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1gxxrh96 said:
volsunghawk":1gxxrh96 said:
WilsonMVP":1gxxrh96 said:
austinslater25":1gxxrh96 said:

Personally, I'm glad we didn't take the Dallas offer. Somehow it just feels good to hear how much Jerrah is regretting not making the deal with us.

All I have to say is Jerry is an idiot. If the position you really want to trade up for is QB......YOU DO IT. You dont mess around and end up losing out on the guy you want. You think JS would of pussy footed around if someone was trying to trade up for Wilson?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
So they're going to start him out at RG after all with Webb starting at RT. Aside from the center position, if the line stays Gilliam 6'6", Britt 6'6", Lewis 6'1", Ifedi 6'6", Webb 6'7"... well that's one tall line.

BASF

Reaction score
Reaction to this pick: happy.

Reaction to this thread: Robert "I take plays off and have pretty much admitted to it" Nkemdiche even appearing on Pete "Always Compete" Carroll's big board is laughable.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The Seahawks will start first-round pick Germain Ifedi at guard.
J'Marcus Webb is penciled in as Seattle's right tackle, with Garry Gilliam on the left side. Justin Britt, Ifedi, Rees Odhiambo, and Mark Glowinski look like the top contenders for two guard openings with Patrick Lewis penciled in at center. Even after GM John Schneider spent three picks on offensive linemen, Seattle's line appears likely to remain one of the worst in the league.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11367/germain-ifedi

I was hoping he'd take the RT spot but it looks like they're initial instinct is to put him at Guard.

McGruff

Reaction score
DJrmb":1ykpd12n said:
The Seahawks will start first-round pick Germain Ifedi at guard.
J'Marcus Webb is penciled in as Seattle's right tackle, with Garry Gilliam on the left side. Justin Britt, Ifedi, Rees Odhiambo, and Mark Glowinski look like the top contenders for two guard openings with Patrick Lewis penciled in at center. Even after GM John Schneider spent three picks on offensive linemen, Seattle's line appears likely to remain one of the worst in the league.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11367/germain-ifedi

I was hoping he'd take the RT spot but it looks like they're initial instinct is to put him at Guard.

I wish I could clarify that with Pete. It may be that they will put him at guard for the rookie minicamp, cause that's where the need is. It may be that they put him at guard until he's ready to kick out to tackle.

Even the comment of having the biggest right side in the NFL can be fulfilled with Ifedi at RT and Webb at RG, where he has his best experience.