2013-14 EPL Season

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":h8j9t83j said:
Well, that and 45.5 mil (figure being reported by SkySports). Interesting discussion in ESPN about whether or not Ozil fills a need for Arsenal. Have to say I agree, they already have plenty of creative midfielders, what they needed was a goalscorer. They went after Higuain and Suarez and didn't get them, and in my opinion have not addressed that need with the signing of Ozil.

However Ozil will help take some burden off Cazorla and Giroud is playing very well so far this season.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Ozil is some signing for Arsenal, arguably best of the window. Still think they could have done with another striker though.

Liverpool made some impressive signings and should do well this year...however, it's Liverpool. As has been the case over the last 20 years, I expect them to fall apart at some point/go on a terrible run when no one expects it. Probably when Suarez comes back.

What has happened to Man Utd? They needed at least 4/5 players.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2zdyn5aj said:
Yeah, I know I sound like I'm knocking this signing, I guess I'm just trying to see the sense in investing 45.5 million quid in a guy to 'help take the burden' off other players. That's the kind of money you spend on someone who will win you games on their own. He's a very good player, Gate, and he'll help Arsenal going forward for sure, I just want to wait and see.

Fellaini to United for 27.5 million pounds. What a joke. Fellaini wouldn't make the squad at Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City. How the mighty have fallen.

Quick question. Didn't Fellaini have a release clause that was worth 24 million which expired at the beginning of August? If so, why did United decide to wait till the absolute last second to pay 3.5 million more for him? It's baffling. It's also funny how many midfielders United went through before they settled for him.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Good on Arsenal for spending some money, although I think they could have addressed other needs but whatever. I really like Liverpool to make top 4 this year if we can keep our current form.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I'd say Arsenal and Liverpool had the most successful deadline day. The panic button was definitely smashed by Man United. I was definitely surprised by Lukaku going to Everton on loan and not to West Brom.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2ulg2cp3 said:
I'd say Arsenal and Liverpool had the most successful deadline day. The panic button was definitely smashed by Man United. I was definitely surprised by Lukaku going to Everton on loan and not to West Brom.

Ozil is a good player...but are you really satisfied with 44 mill on an attacking mid given their need for a striker and defenders. They seemed hell bent on spending cash which seemed a bit desperate. Interested to see how it works out. Obviously he adds a lot to the attack.

Thought Everton recovered well.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Ozil? Didn't see that coming! Wenger should get the fans off his back with that move. Not, perhaps, their most prsssing need but you'd have to think he'll make them better.

It's going to be a good season. 6 teams that have legitimate hopes of making the top 4. I think Chelsea is the only one who's pretty much assured of making it. United fans must be more than a tad concerned about their future. Should have gone all in for Mourinho.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ne7l9u2 said:
Gatehawk":3ne7l9u2 said:

Ozil is a good player...but are you really satisfied with 44 mill on an attacking mid given their need for a striker and defenders. They seemed hell bent on spending cash which seemed a bit desperate. Interested to see how it works out. Obviously he adds a lot to the attack.

Thought Everton recovered well.

I forgot about Everton when I said that, and I was only referring to final day. Had Arsenal made some more moves it would've been better, but Arteta and Vermaelen do appear set to return after the break, so if they can stay healthy then Arsenal should make it January. Signing Ozil is much more of a good decision because of his versatility, he's able to be played either in the midfield or even on the attacking wings, meaning he can be played where on that left side that's short on options. They went big for 1 signing, but if people still complain about Arsenal not spending after this, then I don't know what those morons would want. Wenger basically killed 2 birds with one stone in the Ozil move, he splashed the cash and bought a clear cut world class player.

If you want to talk about desperate spending then United fits that bill to a T.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":lemjg9m8 said:
Well, steady on a minute, Gate. It's important to get value for money. 44mil or whatever it was is a pretty tall order. That means they rate Ozil higher than Suarez, and I don't think they're in the same league. Suarez would not be sitting on real's bench, I can tell you that. Ozil has definitely shown quality in the past, but as I've said a few times, I think it's a goalscorer that Arsenal needed, not someone to provide assists. The main criticism I have is that Arsenal have invested 44 million pounds in a position where they already seem to have plenty of quality depth.

Yeah this was basically my thought. Ozil's signing really only solves the most pressing need at Arsenal: to spend alot of money on a player.

Ozil's a very good player. 44 mill for a CAM is a massive risk. Thats more than Goetze, Isco and Lucas, all of whom I rate higher.

If you look at Arsenal's targets this summer they were all fairly similar in the sense they were big names, highly priced and wanted out of their current clubs. all three served a different purpose on the field which to me (like United) meant they didnt really know exactly what they wanted in terms of skill... more just wanted "a" player who fit the financial/name recognition that would satisfy the fans.

Ozil is a very good player for sure and a good signing. He may end up being the best CAM in the Prem if he sits well with Giroud in front of him. but i dont see it as many more or less desperate than Fellaini (or Sakho for that matter)

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, that thought did run through my head even before he was confirmed, when they said Arsenal offered 44.2 million. It is intriguing that Arsenal felt they had to pay that much for a non-EPL player, yet stopped short of that when going for arguably one of the top strikers in the EPL.

When you think about it, the price makes some sense, Ozil's one of the top players on the German National Team, he's coming from one of the biggest clubs in the World and he's practically an assist machine. Could Arsenal have tried to get him for less, probably, would Madrid have sold him for less, not too sure on that. Add to that some people are saying Arsenal got Ozil cheap.

Also, there are some reports that PSG had offered way more money than Arsenal and that it was a conversation between Ozil and Wenger that convinced Mesut to sign with Arsenal. If those reports about PSG are true, we can only imagine how much the Parisians offered above that 44.2 million pounds.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":19ka30xv said:
Well, assists are only good if you've got a goal-poacher to get on the end of them. Right now, Arsenal seem to have Giroud and a whole bunch of 'assist machines'. they went after strikers at the beginning of the window, and that made sense, but then they spend a boatload of cash on a CAM. I'm just in the middle with this one. I don't want to knock the transfer, because Ozil is a high-quality player who will make things happen in the attacking third, but I just can praise it too much because it doesn't make sense from a need or value perspective. We'll see.

They do have assist machines all around now, but those assist machines are just as dangerous at scoring goals as Giroud has been lately. Remember last season Theo Walcott was the top scorer, Cazorla added 12, Podolski had 16, and Ozil with Madrid last season had 10.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Let's run through the list of good things that happened for Arsenal this week:
We beat Spurs
They sold Bale
We signed Özil
Levy failed in attempts to stop it
United failed to hijack it
RVP unhappy with Moyes(reportedly)

And that was just the first 3 days.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3qmz0nhw said:
Gatehawk":3qmz0nhw said:
Let's run through the list of good things that happened for Arsenal this week:
We beat Spurs
They sold Bale
We signed Özil
Levy failed in attempts to stop it
United failed to hijack it
RVP unhappy with Moyes(reportedly)

And that was just the first 3 days.

#winning

Oh wait, that's right, none of that improves your chances of winning the league.

Never said it did. All I'm saying is that it's a good week to be a Gooner.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Well should've known this wasn't over. BBC is reporting that Arsenal is gonna keep an eye on Luis Suarez's situation at Liverpool and might attempt to sign him in January. Not too sure if that's gonna be a good idea.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3iahsmqb said:
Well should've known this wasn't over. BBC is reporting that Arsenal is gonna keep an eye on Luis Suarez's situation at Liverpool and might attempt to sign him in January. Not too sure if that's gonna be a good idea.

Honest question gate... are you 9 years old, or just a very gullible adult?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I'm neither. If it's true then I just don't think it's a good idea, I get the feeling there's still a little bitterness over that 40 million and 1 pound bid and cause of it, I don't see Liverpool selling him to Arsenal for anything unless it's an absurdly ridiculous overpriced bid, like Bale to Madrid.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ht4r34l said:
there's no bitterness, Gate. Teams are not run by teenagers. Suarez is a Liverpool player, and will remain so until they let him go.

Like there's no bitterness with the Costa Rican's over a game from 6 months ago.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":qcit39ow said:
peachesenregalia":qcit39ow said:
there's no bitterness, Gate. Teams are not run by teenagers. Suarez is a Liverpool player, and will remain so until they let him go.

Like there's no bitterness with the Costa Rican's over a game from 6 months ago.

Well yes, youre gullible. Gullible because youve yet to figure out how the media works when it comes to these stories.

Lets ask this. Who at "Arsenal" gave that quote? Honest question gate... do you really believe a high ranking official from the club decided to tell the BBC that they would consider going after Suarez again. They just decided to give some insight into their next transfer window objectives? Just like that?

Do you know of any NFL, MLB, etc teams that would do that? no, ofcourse not, and neither do clubs in the PL.

grow up Peter Pan.

and trying to compare a transfer offer to losing a World Cup qualifier? mother mary on a pogo stick (for you peachers) i truly cant tell if you're serious or playing us all for a fun

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3ukstx63 said:
This season is gonna be great. No team is safe, there are no easy matches. Villa are apparently not as good as we thought, and it doesn't appear - at least at this point - that Chelsea are just gonna walk away with the league.

wait...who thought villa was good?

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3aaohekt said:
Smurf":3aaohekt said:
peachesenregalia":3aaohekt said:
This season is gonna be great. No team is safe, there are no easy matches. Villa are apparently not as good as we thought, and it doesn't appear - at least at this point - that Chelsea are just gonna walk away with the league.

wait...who thought villa was good?

Pretty much everyone thought they'd be a much improved team this season.

Myself included.

Latest posts